Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:56:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sony Pictures Pulls “The Interview” From Theaters  (Read 4040 times)
Vod (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3099

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2014, 11:37:29 PM

The decision was the depressing climax to a weeks-long nightmare after Sony Pictures Entertainment suffered on Nov. 24 a massive and unprecedented hack of roughly 100TB of embarrassing, sensitive, and confidential data. On Monday, the group claiming responsibility for the hack, who call themselves Guardians of Peace, threatened theaters that plan on showing the film The Interview — which depicts the assassination of North Korea leader Kim Jong Un. “We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places ‘The Interview’ be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to,” the group said in a statement. “Remember the 11th of September 2001.”

I'm disappointed to see them cave over some obviously empty threats.  Score one for terrorism.

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:21:04 AM

I've personally been against this movie all along (even before the Sony hack and such) and I'm glad they stopped showing it. There is a very obvious difference between parody movies (think Team America World Police) and a thinly veiled realistic threat that the US is going to use the media to assassinate the leader of North Korea. I wasn't worried about hurting Kim Jong Un's feelings, I was worried that the movie would make him more paranoid and it would put Americans or suspected Americans in danger. Look at American cinematography, there are hundreds of movies about the president being kidnapped by terrorists, aliens, the works, but they are always either fictional presidents or an already dead ones. If a North Korean movie came out about an attempted hit on the president, there would be a lot of protest and people calling it propaganda.

Am I against freedom of expression? No, but I think there is a major double standard here. That and North Korea doesn't need any more reasons somewhat fictional or not, to suspect the US of an assassination attempt against Kim.
pattu1

Activity: 675
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 01:41:17 AM

This has been done when the Department of Homeland Security says that the threat is not credible.
They should have shown more spine.
Gronthaing
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 03:30:38 AM

As I said in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=666307.msg9884609#msg9884609 this might just be a marketing move. With the attention the hack got, no matter who did it, build up even more attention, then release the movie some time later. That or those 100TB contain something Sony wants to keep secret at all costs.
pattu1

Activity: 675

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 03:57:24 AM

As I said in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=666307.msg9884609#msg9884609 this might just be a marketing move. With the attention the hack got, no matter who did it, build up even more attention, then release the movie some time later. That or those 100TB contain something Sony wants to keep secret at all costs.

Pulling out the movie doesn't show Sony in a favourable light.
Plus they already got a lot of publicity until now; no point in postponing the movie release.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 07:45:26 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2014, 08:47:04 AM by Lethn

Cowards, the lot of them, North Korea just won this battle, for all the trash talking the American congress does on camera they certainly can't back it up when facing a country that has an actual standing army.
steelhouse

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 08:11:56 AM

I've personally been against this movie all along (even before the Sony hack and such) and I'm glad they stopped showing it. There is a very obvious difference between parody movies (think Team America World Police) and a thinly veiled realistic threat that the US is going to use the media to assassinate the leader of North Korea. I wasn't worried about hurting Kim Jong Un's feelings, I was worried that the movie would make him more paranoid and it would put Americans or suspected Americans in danger. Look at American cinematography, there are hundreds of movies about the president being kidnapped by terrorists, aliens, the works, but they are always either fictional presidents or an already dead ones. If a North Korean movie came out about an attempted hit on the president, there would be a lot of protest and people calling it propaganda.

Am I against freedom of expression? No, but I think there is a major double standard here. That and North Korea doesn't need any more reasons somewhat fictional or not, to suspect the US of an assassination attempt against Kim.

I agree with you 100%.  I guess Charlie Chaplin put out "The Great Dictator" of a living dictator.  People assume the world is sane, it is not NK might change their target to Hollywood and I live near there.  Why would anyone even offer to do this job, Rogan et. al. must be idiots.  It is really a sign of U.S. arrogance and self -righteousness. This movie is going to get into NK and the people are going to see it.  What next an ISIS movie about beheading Obama and raping his daughters, ha ha. Horrible!
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 10:15:46 AM

If a North Korean movie came out about an attempted hit on the president, there would be a lot of protest and people calling it propaganda.

In agreement, the fact that the people decided to make this a Christmas release as well just seems like they were egging North Korea to retaliate in one way or the other, if someone here released a lets all kill Obama the comedy on Christmas a storm would ensue, at least with Team America World Police it was puppets and everyone was well owned. (Although steelhouse has a good one Obama gets owned by ISIS and a bunch of rape occurs as a bonus lets make this a holiday release imagine the outcry)

Simple enough solution don't make movies about assassinating heads of states when their alive especially if your technically hostile to them lol.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Aemon

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 04:34:16 PM

I'm disappointed to see them cave over some obviously empty threats.  Score one for terrorism.

I had a conversation with someone about this actually.  Although it truly sucks that they pulled it, they had no other option but to pull it.  If someone were to even get hurt at any place due to this movie.  The lawsuit would be terrible. 

Until Sony and the government actually find out who is hacking, they have full control
btckold24

Activity: 434

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 04:49:26 PM

the rumor I heard is the movie wasnt creating the buzz they thought it would along with poor testing with test groups.

Also I'm sure when they do release it in the future or in demand or dvd whatever.... It will do double what it would of done just being a bad movie with moderately funny people.

YOU CAN ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
PLAY or INVEST

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀

Rainbot
Happy Hour
Faucet
Aemon

Activity: 308

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 04:54:41 PM

the rumor I heard is the movie wasnt creating the buzz they thought it would along with poor testing with test groups.

Also I'm sure when they do release it in the future or in demand or dvd whatever.... It will do double what it would of done just being a bad movie with moderately funny people.

Even if the movie was testing poorly, they wouldn't go to this length in order to make sure that the movie doesn't come out. 

They are losing millions of dollars on this, and thats all they are thinking about is trying to minimize the amount of loss they will have on this project.
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 10:32:10 PM

All I can say, respect to North-Koreans (whatever my view on the N-K policies are otherwise). They show in a no-nonsense way that they are no push-overs.  Grin

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 02:06:06 AM

I highly doubt it is a marketing move.  The hackers made off with a tonne of information from Sony, some of it highly personal and sensitive.  They have halted tours of their studios, and Sony employees have filed a class action lawsuit against them for leaking the data. They've also lost a ton of brand power, productivity, and reputation over this. I'm sure lots of people have lost theirs jobs as well. 

If it is a marketing move, it's a highly risky one.  Sony has a lot more to lose over this than gain.  Pisses me off, I was looking forward to seeing it.  They filmed much of it in Vancouver.
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 11:59:04 AM

At worst, I see the film as a provocation propaganda at a time when North and South Korea seek to reunite, which is not to the US liking. This is why Obama took such a strong stance, when the film got stopped.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-12-19/north-korean-hack-of-sony-not-acceptable-state-conduct-fbi-says.html

At best, it is a political "black PR" move, on the same line as "Borat".

Oh, well, Russia at least tries to act as a peace broker, having invited both the South Korean president and the North Korean leader to Moscow for the 9th of May celebration next year, giving them an opportunity to talk on neutral territory:
http://www.gazeta.ru/politics/news/2014/12/20/n_6762937.shtml

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Towlie

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 02:54:24 PM

I don't really care for the film but I hope it is released at some point. I wonder what their reaction will be when it is released seeing as N Korea want's it shelved forever.

This has been done when the Department of Homeland Security says that the threat is not credible.
They should have shown more spine.

Why would anyone take their threats seriously? Serious terrorists don't make threats or give advance warnings, they just attack.
exoton

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 07:51:32 PM

I personally don't think the NK is capable to pulling off any major kind of terrorist attack, nor any major act of war that would do physical harm to American citizens (Americans would be the ones targeted). Any attempt of either of the above would be considered an act of war and a reason for the US government to argue that the Chinese government should no longer support NK and if the Chinese government can be convinced as such the NK government will likely quickly collapse.
malaimult

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 07:29:15 AM

I highly doubt it is a marketing move.  The hackers made off with a tonne of information from Sony, some of it highly personal and sensitive.  They have halted tours of their studios, and Sony employees have filed a class action lawsuit against them for leaking the data. They've also lost a ton of brand power, productivity, and reputation over this. I'm sure lots of people have lost theirs jobs as well. 

If it is a marketing move, it's a highly risky one.  Sony has a lot more to lose over this than gain.  Pisses me off, I was looking forward to seeing it.  They filmed much of it in Vancouver.
At this point it is far from a marketing move. Even the US government has investigated and has pointed their finger at a state actor being behind the hack (North Korea). Additionally there is the threat of a terrorist attack which would horribly backfire if it was determined that Sony was fabricating this

pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 06:00:03 PM

There are suggestions that the movie halls didn't want to screen it and Sony took the flak for acceding to their request and not releasing the film.

AllTheBitz

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 08:36:51 PM

A place in Montreal is still going to release the movie as of today but they may change due to threats.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/the-interview-may-still-see-theatres-in-toronto-155000526.html

▓▓▓▓   New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange            → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓   Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
AllTheBitz

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 08:38:15 PM

There are suggestions that the movie halls didn't want to screen it and Sony took the flak for acceding to their request and not releasing the film.

Yeah I heard that they were afraid there were going to get sued if anyone one got hurt Like the aurora shooting in Colorado a couple years back.

▓▓▓▓   New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange            → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓   Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: