Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 10:32:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would people think if I created a Bitcoin jobs board of my own?  (Read 1883 times)
commandrix (OP)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 01:01:00 AM

Just a random thought, guys, but I may get serious about this. Actually, I'm looking at ways I could pull this off using Wordpress plugins right now. I've been tempted to create a jobs board that's sort of like Freelancer for Bitcoin because, quite frankly, about half of what I've seen is like looking at a train wreck full of scams and places that redirect you to other sites that make you jump through hoops to apply.
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 01:04:51 AM

My biggest annoyance was links to Elance. A self-contained job board would be great.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
TheBeardedOne

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 01:25:47 AM

I have been interested in doing something similar actually but always had escrow in mind which never got anywhere because the maintenance would be a little pain.

Why wordpress may i ask?
digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1072

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 01:41:03 AM

One would use wordpress plugins that cannot write/develop their own system.  Not truly looked down upon if implemented properly, but the underlying tone is relying on wordpress.

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 01:56:57 AM

Give it a shot, it is worth a try.

commandrix (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 02:58:43 AM

I have been interested in doing something similar actually but always had escrow in mind which never got anywhere because the maintenance would be a little pain.

Why wordpress may i ask?

I think it's mostly that Wordpress is what I know best. Right now I'm talking to somebody who's done development work on a couple of cryptocurrency-related projects and might be able to help me with the payment side of things.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 05:06:59 AM

Just a random thought, guys, but I may get serious about this. Actually, I'm looking at ways I could pull this off using Wordpress plugins right now. I've been tempted to create a jobs board that's sort of like Freelancer for Bitcoin because, quite frankly, about half of what I've seen is like looking at a train wreck full of scams and places that redirect you to other sites that make you jump through hoops to apply.

A board like that is really needed, where freelancer can work without any troubles and get paid instantly. Go for it.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 11:44:05 AM

I've thought about it already, and I'm not the only one. The hard part is the marketing to get many job offers. How do you plan to do that?

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Ektra

Activity: 137
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 12:30:40 PM

Instant transmission of pay to freelancers all over the world is a very good use of bitcoin. I freelance, and I've often been frustrated by the impossibility of working across borders and getting paid the full amount.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 01:53:51 PM

Just have a look at this. work4crypto.com

It's the same like what you mentioned here. There is actually a job creation section for employers to use bitcoin as payment currency but unfortunately there is none available. Dogecoin is more popular

evok3d

Activity: 534
Merit: 250

The Protocol for the Audience Economy

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 03:02:15 PM

It would be nice to have a bootstrap website with its own custom backend and capabilities.

I had a quick look at the work4crypto and it seems alright though not very professional - probably best for smaller jobs/non main stream.

I would be happy to help you out as i have done a few job posting - classified websites for clients. The most important aspect i would want to implement is making the entire thing decentralized. You could use the power of - identi.fi - and put something really nice together.

Cheers Smiley

M E   D I   A
P  R -    ▄▄███████▄▄   
  ▄██████▀██████▄ 
 ███████   ███████
▐██████     ██████▌
██████▌     ▐██████
▐██████     ██████▌
 ▀██████▄ ▄██████▀
   ▀███████████▀  
      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     
- T  O  C - O - L
MEDIA Protocol in Action
              ▄▄██████▄▄
            ▄████████████▄
           █████▌ ▀▀███████
   ▄████▄▄██████     ▀█████▌
 ▄███▀ ▀████████      ▐█████
▐███▌   ▐████████      ████▌
▐███    ██████████▄▄  ▐████
 ▀███▄▄████▀▀████████████▀
   ▀▀███▀▀     ▀▀████▀▀
   ▄▄▄████████████████▄▄▄    
 ████████████████████████▄  
▐███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀████▌ 
████████████▀▀▀        █████ 
█████████▀             █████ 
███████              ▐█████ 
█████▀               ██████ 
███▌              ▄██████ 
█████             ▄█████████ 
████▌          ▄▄██████████ 
▐████▄▄▄▄██████████████████▌ 
 ▀███████████████████████▀  
   ▀▀███████████████████▀    
Giggs

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 03:06:49 PM

If you think you can do better go for it. I don't think there's that much demand for jobs right now but that will keep growing over time and it'll be good to get your foot in the door now.
commandrix (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 03:42:16 PM

I've thought about it already, and I'm not the only one. The hard part is the marketing to get many job offers. How do you plan to do that?

I haven't quite gotten that far yet though my first instinct is to promote it on forums like this one (without spamming, of course. See my sig? Tongue ). I think mostly I was seeing if there might be interest in a Freelancer-like jobs board.
princesocapuyo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Presale is live!

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 06:51:49 PM

Interesting idea, I like it!
It's gonna be hard when starting though, it will take time to grow but definitely give it a shot.
If you decide to get serious post your page and I may be able to give you a tip or two.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 06:56:47 PM

It would be a good idea, there have been one or two already created but the long term problem you'll have is people making shit posts and just spamming, it's something that even plagues your regular job search sites because most job sites I've looked at are filled with marketing scams.

I personally wish we could have some kind of combined effort on the internet to get rid of these blatant spammers actually but it's something that's clearly going to be with us for a long while.
commandrix (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 07:18:16 PM

It would be a good idea, there have been one or two already created but the long term problem you'll have is people making shit posts and just spamming, it's something that even plagues your regular job search sites because most job sites I've looked at are filled with marketing scams.

I personally wish we could have some kind of combined effort on the internet to get rid of these blatant spammers actually but it's something that's clearly going to be with us for a long while.

You're right; one problem I have with other Bitcoin jobs sites is that they don't seem to do a very good job of policing their own sites to get rid of the scams and Spam. I want to create a legit jobs board, though, so I'll probably spend part of my time policing it for anything that looks "off".
biodieselchris

Activity: 579
Merit: 500

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 07:25:21 PM

You're right; one problem I have with other Bitcoin jobs sites is that they don't seem to do a very good job of policing their own sites to get rid of the scams and Spam. I want to create a legit jobs board, though, so I'll probably spend part of my time policing it for anything that looks "off".

You could have their be a charge, even if small, for both posting work solicitations and jobs. It's like the idea of charging $0.01 for email senders. Any legitimate person would pay this amount (and gladly so, as to no longer receive spam). I've been thinking about a doing up a good job board as well, though bootstrapped in Rails, not wordpress.

OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 07:33:20 PM

That's a great approach but prepare yourself for lots of work and possibly fruitless discussion and negative feedback when you delete/disable spammy or scammy entries. You need a thick skin to do this well, and it takes quite a while until people trust your judgement.

I only took a cursory look at work4crypto.com, and it seems that it's really geared towards unskilled micro "jobs" such as signing up or giving feedback somewhere. If you want your job board to be different, you might set its scope to actual skilled work such as programming, web or graphics design, video production, article writing, etc. It might lead to fewer but higher-quality job postings.
In addition, a clear structure is pretty important! Let job seekers select which kinds of jobs they want to see, for example as a programmer I would not want to skip over lots of graphics design job offers just to find something that fits my skill set.

Onkel Paul

commandrix (OP)

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 03:55:50 AM

You could have their be a charge, even if small, for both posting work solicitations and jobs. It's like the idea of charging $0.01 for email senders. Any legitimate person would pay this amount (and gladly so, as to no longer receive spam). I've been thinking about a doing up a good job board as well, though bootstrapped in Rails, not wordpress.

That's a good idea. I make some cash flow from the site and the spammers would probably look elsewhere for the free options. I probably won't charge a ton because I don't want to leave legit buyers and sellers of services out in the cold because they can't afford to pay a lot up front. What do you think of having some kind of monthly subscription plan where employers can sign up and then post a certain amount of jobs a month?
ulatec

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 04:52:44 AM

Somewhat like Coinality? https://coinality.com/

It aggregates both freelance and non freelance positions.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: