Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:05:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem running a connectable full node after 24h disconnect  (Read 958 times)
chr1s (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 03:55:05 PM

Hi,

I have already posted this to reddit but sadly did not get any reply so I am trying it here now.

I am running a full node and it's working fine until the 24 hours adsl disconnect (NAT with port forwarding enabled). But I don't get any incoming connections after the disconnect. I think the problem is that my new external ip address is not dicovered:

bitcoind@bitcoind:~$ ./bitcoin-0.9.3-linux/bin/64/bitcoin-cli getnetworkinfo
{ "version" : 90300, "protocolversion" : 70002, "timeoffset" : 0, "connections" : 8, "proxy" : "", "relayfee" : 0.00001000, "localaddresses" : [ { "address" : "84.x.x.99", "port" : 8333, "score" : 538 } ] }

The address .99 is old, I got a new address:

bitcoind@bitcoind:~$ dig +short myip.opendns.com @resolver1.opendns.com
84.x.x.25

The new address is connectable through getaddr.bitnodes.io:

84.x.x.25 /Satoshi:0.9.3/

But there a no more connections than 8 until I restart my node. After restart incoming connections work fine until next disconnect.

Is there any way to tell bitcoind to check my external ip regulary? I did not find any setting in bitcoin.conf

And does someone know the meaning of the score inside the localaddresses output?

Thanks

Chris
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 04:49:26 PM

Hi,

I have already posted this to reddit but sadly did not get any reply so I am trying it here now.

I am running a full node and it's working fine until the 24 hours adsl disconnect (NAT with port forwarding enabled). But I don't get any incoming connections after the disconnect. I think the problem is that my new external ip address is not dicovered:

Yes, its a known problem. It was discussed on github a while back and the core devs decided that not enough people have the problem to care about it IIRC.

-snip-
Is there any way to tell bitcoind to check my external ip regulary? I did not find any setting in bitcoin.conf

Nope, unless you restart it. There is currently no way to reinitiate the initial "whats my IP?" code.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
chr1s (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 05:09:52 PM
Merited by mole0815 (1)

Thanks for clarification.

I think there are a lot of users affected which use their home server to host bitcoind behind a dynamic address and are probably not aware of this bug.

I'll use a cronjob for a daily restart as a work around.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2014, 05:41:22 PM

Thanks for clarification.

I think there are a lot of users affected which use their home server to host bitcoind behind a dynamic address and are probably not aware of this bug.

Found it [1] its almost 4 years old now and it was worse back then, but the core problem still exists. I dont know how difficult it would be to create an external command (e.g. bitcoind rescanownip) that is executing the code needed to detect the local IP.

I'll use a cronjob for a daily restart as a work around.

That should work. Esp. if the disconnectes are at a fixed time.

[1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/48

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: