Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:07:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Nothing-at-Stake & Long Range Attack on Proof-of-Stake (Consensus Research)  (Read 15362 times)
kushti (OP)

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2015, 11:36:51 PM

My comment on Poelstra's rewrite of PoS impossibility article https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2zpmlj/expanded_rewrite_of_distributed_consensus_from/cplj4ug

Ergo Platform core dev. Previously IOHK Research / Nxt core dev / SmartContract.com cofounder.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kushti (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 01:45:01 AM

Slides from my talk @ SF Bitcoin Devs Hackathon (titled "Proof-of-Stake and its Improvements") http://www.slideshare.net/AlexChepurnoy/proofofstake-its-improvements-san-francisco-bitcoin-devs-hackathon

Ergo Platform core dev. Previously IOHK Research / Nxt core dev / SmartContract.com cofounder.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 07:56:59 AM

Slides from my talk @ SF Bitcoin Devs Hackathon (titled "Proof-of-Stake and its Improvements") http://www.slideshare.net/AlexChepurnoy/proofofstake-its-improvements-san-francisco-bitcoin-devs-hackathon

Any good criticisms there?
kushti (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2015, 08:15:15 AM

Any good criticisms there?

Got some good questions & feedback. Love Sunday meetups much more than others  Smiley

Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 09:06:19 PM

I guess no one has any found any fatal flaws in this research then?

What are the next steps Kushti, were you planning on testing a modified algo in a test coin?
kushti (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2015, 06:07:44 PM

What are the next steps Kushti, were you planning on testing a modified algo in a test coin?

No any critical flaws found in Nxt-like proof-of-stake. On other hand, no any strict formalization made yet as well.

So there are two things to be done:

1. Formalized model showing Nakamoto's property could be met in proof-of-stake with contribution to multiple forks allowed(in other cases there are other problems with formalization). Simulations show the property is seems to be met, thanks to cumulative difficulty working more or less ok as fork selector function(btw, PoS coins with longest chain rule have problems here, at least).
I'm now talking with guys much more skilled in CS/math about possibility of the truly formal framework.

2. Practical contributions to Nxt / other projects around. Nxt's algo seems to be pretty safe, though block delays distribution is needed to be better(closer to average value). It will reduce or mb even eliminate incentive to contribute to multiple forks(by trying to do private branch attacks, then share private forks, then we have majority of forgers having multiple-branch forging with N@S possible as result in such environment). I hope some improvements will be made in 1.7/1.8.

And yeah, "test coin"(don't like "coin" word here, I would like to call it "experimental blockchain engine for hackers"). Making some changes now, so it will be possible to switch Qora's PoS to Nxt's by changing 1 line of code(and introduce other consensus models easily). Then yeah, multiple branching will be introduced in Scorex. Some non-consensus things will be tested as well, e.g. Bill White's scalability proposal etc.

kushti (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 16, 2015, 02:48:50 PM

Switching from Qora's to Nxt's algo with 1 line change is implemented, having a lot of fun by playing with both algos.

allwelder
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 09:52:57 AM

No any critical flaws found in Nxt-like proof-of-stake.

Glad to hear this.

Thanks,kushti.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Daedelus

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 11:30:29 AM

No any critical flaws found in Nxt-like proof-of-stake. On other hand, no any strict formalization made yet as well.

1. Formalized model showing Nakamoto's property could be met in proof-of-stake with contribution to multiple forks allowed(in other cases there are other problems with formalization). Simulations show the property is seems to be met, thanks to cumulative difficulty working more or less ok as fork selector function(btw, PoS coins with longest chain rule have problems here, at least).
I'm now talking with guys much more skilled in CS/math about possibility of the truly formal framework.

2. Practical contributions to Nxt / other projects around. Nxt's algo seems to be pretty safe, though block delays distribution is needed to be better(closer to average value). It will reduce or mb even eliminate incentive to contribute to multiple forks(by trying to do private branch attacks, then share private forks, then we have majority of forgers having multiple-branch forging with N@S possible as result in such environment). I hope some improvements will be made in 1.7/1.8.

And yeah, "test coin"(don't like "coin" word here, I would like to call it "experimental blockchain engine for hackers"). Making some changes now, so it will be possible to switch Qora's PoS to Nxt's by changing 1 line of code(and introduce other consensus models easily). Then yeah, multiple branching will be introduced in Scorex. Some non-consensus things will be tested as well, e.g. Bill White's scalability proposal etc.

Bump  Grin

Any news on the truly formal framework formalization?

Or the "experimental blockchain engine for hackers"?

P.S. Bill white plans to contact you about Scorex when he has time...
fish731

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 11, 2015, 05:29:41 PM

Will you be integrating the finished thing into Qora before Nxt to see how it performs on a main net?
kushti (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 04:01:05 PM

Bump  Grin

Any news on the truly formal framework formalization?

Or the "experimental blockchain engine for hackers"?

P.S. Bill white plans to contact you about Scorex when he has time...

1. No major news in the field of truly formal proof-of-stake description. It's the question of months at least probably(btw, good formal framework describing proof-of-work appeared only in second half of 2014, 5+ years after Nakamoto's paper which is pretty informal).

2. Just made pre-announcement https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060567

P.S. Communicating with the awesome guy Bill regularly Smiley

Will you be integrating the finished thing into Qora before Nxt to see how it performs on a main net?

Nope. And Nxt will got some evolutional improvements, not radical. as radical changes seems to be not much needed at all. Qora's algo needs for some other improvements, I would like not to disclose the details here though.

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 15, 2015, 02:29:46 AM
Last edit: May 15, 2015, 02:43:51 AM by Peter R

Formalized model showing Nakamoto's property could be met in proof-of-stake…

Kushti, what exactly do people mean when they say "Nakamoto's property"?  Can you link me to somewhere that gives a precise definition for this term?

1. No major news in the field of truly formal proof-of-stake description. It's the question of months at least probably(btw, good formal framework describing proof-of-work appeared only in second half of 2014, 5+ years after Nakamoto's paper which is pretty informal).

Any links you can share for "good formal framework describing proof-of-work"?

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
kushti (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2015, 07:27:08 PM

Formalized model showing Nakamoto's property could be met in proof-of-stake…

Kushti, what exactly do people mean when they say "Nakamoto's property"?  Can you link me to somewhere that gives a precise definition for this term?

Any links you can share for "good formal framework describing proof-of-work"?

Well, I meant this awesome paper https://eprint.iacr.org/2014/765.pdf . Please take a look to "The common prefix property" in the paper - it's literally the same as "Nakamoto's property".

kushti (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2015, 05:22:32 PM

Just finished constructive proof of the FLP impossibility theorem with Coq https://github.com/ConsensusResearch/flp . Hope it will  be a step to blockchain consensus formalization. Now I have a lot of other work to do but hope Coq repository with blockchain consensus formalization code(PoS-friendly) will be started someday Smiley

Daedelus

View Profile
June 09, 2015, 04:47:44 PM

Kushti,

I came across a guy looking and thinking deeply about POS.

See https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1082139.msg11547314#msg11547314

It opens...

Multiple Voting in POS Cannot be Detected and It Weakens Security

... I made him aware of your work  Grin but he seems serious and open minded so maybe you two can help each other to keep pushing the boundaries.
kushti (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2015, 05:07:12 PM

Kushti,

It opens...

Multiple Voting in POS Cannot be Detected and It Weakens Security

... I made him aware of your work  Grin but he seems serious and open minded so maybe you two can help each other to keep pushing the boundaries.

Thanks, answered there Smiley

Daedelus

View Profile
July 02, 2015, 11:52:10 AM

Update:

No activity in the subforum for last months, but we continue to work!  Smiley

1. Scorex, our fully working cryptocurrency prototype, was pre-announced on BitcoinTalk. Hopefully, will be announced soon here & on BitcoinTalk. We plan to use it to check our ideas in the close-to-real-world environment. https://github.com/ConsensusResearch/Scorex-Lagonaki

2. I made alternative constructive proof of the FLP theorem with Coq: https://github.com/ConsensusResearch/flp . Hope to publish a paper about that in a peer-reviewed journal. andruiman has some Coq code done around CC transactions layer, will be published later.

3. We have some proposals on PoS improvements, preparing to publish them along with possible attack vectors, in form of blogposts and/or reviewed papers(seems we will write no non-reviewed internet papers on that).

4. We're starting to work with jl777 on research around crypto777. andruiman is starting to check its' pegging ideas.

5. More news soon Smiley

So progress is not super-fast, but we're making it Smiley
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 04:22:58 PM

Can anyone link me to some criticism of these claims by qualified people? I'm especially interested in a rebuttal to the claim that long range NaS attacks are not possible in the system that kushti has defined in his and his group's research.
cynicSOB

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

yes, sometimes I'm a cynical SOB

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 03:36:43 AM

Can anyone link me to some criticism of these claims by qualified people? I'm especially interested in a rebuttal to the claim that long range NaS attacks are not possible in the system that kushti has defined in his and his group's research.

I think long range is not possible because rolling checkpoints. Also when downloading a new chain there is a trust system so you download from a trusted source. Rolling checkpoints are nice but create the risk of dividing the network. A fork larger than the largest allowed reorganization would not be resolved and the network would split.

maybe he's thinking too deeply: he proposes an overcomplication that generates centralization and doesn't solve the problem it's supposed to solve.

For more secure coins: 1EqekC9YVhiWLYjG3mfKNJwrf5s3YS46WW
For the lulz:1EqekC9YVhiWLYjG3mfKNJwrf5s3YS46WW
Este Nuno
Legendary

amarha

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:53:30 PM

I think long range is not possible because rolling checkpoints. Also when downloading a new chain there is a trust system so you download from a trusted source. Rolling checkpoints are nice but create the risk of dividing the network. A fork larger than the largest allowed reorganization would not be resolved and the network would split.

I remember Bitcoin itself was using checkpoints at one time, not too long ago too. Haven't heard much about that in a while. Do you or anyone else know if they are still in use at all?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: