Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 06:40:01 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Block Erupter sucks  (Read 1216 times)
JohnRaccoon (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 09:20:36 PM

Hi guys! I wonder why do people buy block erupters? They are very weak and you need hundreds of them to make bitcoinBTC. I'd never buy a block erupter. Why do people buy them? Huh Sorry, I'm new in the bitcoin business.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 18, 2014, 09:35:40 PM

People don't buy them.  They are really old by today's standards.  But the were the first freely available ASIC that you didn't have to pre-order and wait over a year to receive.

They are still good to tinker with for one who wants to experiment.  They are cheaper to run than a GPU will be.  Most newbies still want to start with CPU's and GPU's which is just a waste of electricity.

But your right you would need a bunch of them to do serious mining and they just aren't efficient enough to break even.  I'm still running some of mine solo mining.  I don't expect to crack a block, but who knows.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
calci

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 05:42:16 AM

Hi guys! I wonder why do people buy block erupters? They are very weak and you need hundreds of them to make bitcoinBTC. I'd never buy a block erupter. Why do people buy them? Huh Sorry, I'm new in the bitcoin business.
I think people buy them for mostly fun. Just to probably learn about bitcoins.
I bought one last year as well.
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091

Think for yourself

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 06:31:15 AM

You can't buy new ones, can you?  They aren't being made anymore.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
K210

Activity: 1568
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 10:24:42 AM

if your looking for a usb asic your better off getting the twinfury miners, they hash at 4-5ghs
hintss

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 08:02:44 AM

I own a block erupter blade (basically 32 usb block erupters on one board, uses 100W, 10 GH/s), and managed to break even with it after about 5 months mining last year.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 10:39:30 AM

I own a block erupter blade (basically 32 usb block erupters on one board, uses 100W, 10 GH/s), and managed to break even with it after about 5 months mining last year.

At this point they just dont pack enough hash to make roi.  They are a fun thing for someone learning mining, but not really something you do for a profit.
Bananana

Activity: 481
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 01:00:44 PM

Agree, they sucks. But most people buy it to try mining and not for profit. So if you are looking for ROI and profit, please stay away from any USB miners.

goozman96

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 02:30:00 AM

I too have one solo mining. It's better than trying to use it to mine in a pool. Maybe I'll get lucky one day..

BTC: 19DKtsdGfQyFzNiEze9KuFQrWGiLDvg6F1 | LTC: LbV6UGyjYbVP49NvQFmuAnkADcaFYvNagK | NMC: NDCdMJmTmGH54Cezmo3CwSxAC7grAoZJbj
Bizmark13

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

WikiScams.org - Information about Bitcoin Scams

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 05:28:43 AM

I bought some for quite cheap and intended to mine with them, but never got around to doing it. Now that I have free electricity, I could really use them but sadly, I left them at my parents' house and I won't be returning until June 2015. Cry I always assumed that they were more for fun than serious mining. You won't make a profit with one but you'll learn quite a bit about mining and Bitcoin in general by mining with them so they can be worth it.

Also they might be worth it if you're planning on launching your own SHA-256 altcoin too. Solo mine with your block erupters and other low-power SHA-256 miners while the difficulty is still low, then announce your coin to the forums and see the value of your new coins skyrocket! Grin
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 05:53:30 AM

I think it was efficient, cheap and profitable when it was first released. It is way underpowered at current difficulty and belongs in a museum. They do make a cool keychain.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇