Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 11:37:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ukraine bans fiat currency  (Read 2218 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 12:11:52 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2014, 12:30:05 PM by Elwar

I'm not sure 100% on the translation but does this mean that all fiat currencies have been banned in Ukraine?

The fiat currency Hryvnia can not be used in Ukraine as a means of payment on the Bitcoin network.

Reported official representative of the Bitcoin Network of Ukraine (BNU) on Facebook.

According to the regulator which has to ensure real value based on math, fiat currencies are "money substitutes."

Also, the Bitcoin Network of Ukraine stressed that the international payments using Hryvnia has made "this category of services attractive to illegal activities, including money laundering of crime or financing terrorism and war".

"In order to protect consumers' rights and security of the money transfer Bitcoin Network recommends that you use the services of only those payment systems, settlement systems, which are included in the blockchain, Bitcoin network,  and Bitcoin payment infrastructure" - the representatives of the regulator

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-foundation-ukraine-central-bank-warning-isnt-ban/

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
solomon

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 12:42:49 PM

The fiat currency Hryvnia can not be used in Ukraine as a means of payment on the Bitcoin network.

Confusing. I'm guessing that they mean you are not allowed to buy bitcoin with fiat?

bitcoin price ticker | bits.so
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 12:44:37 PM

Confusing. I'm guessing that they mean you are not allowed to buy bitcoin with fiat?

No, you cannot send fiat currency over the Bitcoin blockchain.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 12:56:28 PM

I think if you will find out what Hryvnia is you will find out what they talk about.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 12:57:00 PM

Could be misinterpreted. Probably what they mean is totally different. If they don't accept fiat currency in Hryvnia doesn't mean that they won't accept payment in other fiat currency to convert to btc. Euro should be the choice.

Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 01:05:34 PM

Could be misinterpreted. Probably what they mean is totally different. If they don't accept fiat currency in Hryvnia doesn't mean that they won't accept payment in other fiat currency to convert to btc. Euro should be the choice.

I'm pretty sure the euro is not accepted on the Bitcoin blockchain either.

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 07:06:10 PM

20% of inflation ... run to bitcoin, ukranian people !  Roll Eyes
Ron~Popeil

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 07:14:26 PM

You would think they have bigger fish to fry over there than bitcoin vs fiat issues. Like protecting their consumers from the Russians.

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 07:37:23 PM

war is not made by people ... but by army (or terrorist ...).
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 08:39:15 PM

I'm pretty sure the euro is not accepted on the Bitcoin blockchain either.

no, bitcoin only  Wink

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 09:07:42 PM

I think if you will find out what Hryvnia is you will find out what they talk about.

1 Ukrainian Hryvnia equals 0.063 US Dollar

Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 09:43:16 PM

You would think they have bigger fish to fry over there than bitcoin vs fiat issues. Like protecting their consumers from the Russians.

Actually, the hryvnia is the 3rd worst performing currency of 2014...
With the #1 spot held by Bitcoin... which is down from $800 to $300 or > 60%.

This forum should pull it's head out of the sand... and be asking HARD QUESTIONS about Bitcoin...
And why it's performing like the currency of a bankrupt country invaded by Russia.

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 10:02:35 PM

Actually, the hryvnia is the 3rd worst performing currency of 2014...
With the #1 spot held by Bitcoin... which is down from $800 to $300 or > 60%.

This forum should pull it's head out of the sand... and be asking HARD QUESTIONS about Bitcoin...
And why it's performing like the currency of a bankrupt country invaded by Russia.

Bitcoin has one year were its price declines and people think this shit is dead. If you think cryptocurrency or bitcoin is going to disappear you need to pull your head out of the sand. Such a small timeframe and picture perspective.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Vessko

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 10:38:33 PM

I'm not sure 100% on the translation but does this mean that all fiat currencies have been banned in Ukraine?

What translation? There is nothing in the article you referenced (or in the links referenced by it) that says anything even remotely similar to the above.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2014, 10:40:49 PM

1 Ukrainian Hryvnia equals 0.063 US Dollar

or 0.00019744 BTC or 197.393 bits.

rz20
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 11:37:41 PM

Sure and then they went 100% bitcoin and we became millonaries.
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
December 19, 2014, 11:46:53 PM

Ukrainian's currency is holding its value better than the Russian ruble, and that's something Ukrainians can be proud of!

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=UAHEUR=X&t=5d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

BTC is another matter, and I guess the average Ukrainian has more urgent worries than to deal with it. Sadly.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
BitcoinHeroes

Activity: 364

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 12:09:16 AM

Is there not any translaters that can translate this?
Wary

Activity: 798

Who's there?

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:59:26 AM

Is there not any translaters that can translate this?
The text of the document is confusing. It sounds as a standard warning, but it also mentions that any other money and "money surrogates", including bitcoin, are forbidden in Ukraine. However, there is no mentioning of any penalties for it's usage, just words that the central bank takes no responsibility for any bitcoin-caused losses.

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
exoton

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:59:34 AM

Ukrainian's currency is holding its value better than the Russian ruble, and that's something Ukrainians can be proud of!

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=UAHEUR=X&t=5d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

-snip-
even still there are a lot of risks to holding either the Russian Rubble or the Ukrain currency as they are both doing very poorly as of recently, and signs point to likely further declines. Both declines have primarily happened in the past few months, with declines accelerating in recent weeks.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: