Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:54:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Read the introduction- still have questions  (Read 1376 times)
yuriythebest (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:39:41 PM

Right, this is all rather intriguing but I'm rather perplexed by the lack of a username/password login thingy when I launch the client, seems all I get is a "main" bitcoin address and a receiving address, which seem to be identical.  I just don't get how people can't just use my address to not just send money to it but also pretend to be me?   I just don't understand it how the whole thing works.

Second question- I've had my client open for 5-6 hours or so and haven't received any money.   Seems

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:41:29 PM

Had anybody send you any money? If nobody didn't, you ain't getting anything.

Bitcoin doesn't grow on your desktop, ya know?

yuriythebest (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:53:28 PM

Had anybody send you any money? If nobody didn't, you ain't getting anything.

Bitcoin doesn't grow on your desktop, ya know?

okey thanks - what about my first question?
berlin

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:53:40 PM

Right, this is all rather intriguing but I'm rather perplexed by the lack of a username/password login thingy when I launch the client, seems all I get is a "main" bitcoin address and a receiving address, which seem to be identical.  I just don't get how people can't just use my address to not just send money to it but also pretend to be me?   I just don't understand it how the whole thing works.

Second question- I've had my client open for 5-6 hours or so and haven't received any money.   Seems

By now, mining requires powerful GPU's to be productive. The days when mining on your PC CPU are no more.

Money does not appear from nowhere, but you can get free bitcoins donated by the community in order to promote the system from this website:
freebitcoins.appspot.com

Your ownership of bitcoin on your computer is not defined by any username/password, but rather by your possession of a small file called wallet.dat on your computer. However you can use online services to hold your money for you, and they would require a username/password to log in, for instance mybitcoin.com

If you can sell something for bitcoin, you should do so. Perhaps on biddingpond.com
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 09:57:24 PM

Right, this is all rather intriguing but I'm rather perplexed by the lack of a username/password login thingy when I launch the client, seems all I get is a "main" bitcoin address and a receiving address, which seem to be identical.  I just don't get how people can't just use my address to not just send money to it but also pretend to be me?   I just don't understand it how the whole thing works.

Read the FAQ or the Wiki.  If you still have specific questions, come back.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 10:02:44 PM

Second question- I've had my client open for 5-6 hours or so and haven't received any money.   Seems

My article in The Bitcoin Sun might be of use.

http://www.bitcoinservice.co.uk/files/866

Just refresh the page to download.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 10:14:19 PM

You don't see it but you're client makes a random private key which it uses both to make the public key (that you see and share) and to spend any coins sent to that address. People could only pretend to be you on the receiving side, which would mean free money for you.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
yuriythebest (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 07:47:37 AM

You don't see it but you're client makes a random private key which it uses both to make the public key (that you see and share) and to spend any coins sent to that address. People could only pretend to be you on the receiving side, which would mean free money for you.

but what If I want to use it on several computers?? or what if I have to reinstall windows n stuff? seems very weird/impractical.
titeuf_87

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 08:38:58 AM

but what If I want to use it on several computers?? or what if I have to reinstall windows n stuff? seems very weird/impractical.
You can run bitcoin on another computer, it'll get a new address and send bitcoins back and for between the addresses.
Or copy over your wallet.dat to the other computer and you can use the same accounts.

As for reinstalling Windows: that would be the same thing as every other document on your computer: if you don't backup your Word documents before reinstalling them for instance, you will lose them.

Take a look at the wiki to see where your wallet.dat is stored and how to back it up.

15kfBM3TQ4PGzL7cKncU3su2pH7ZJmiLtr
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 09:16:43 AM

Your wallet belongs to your computer rather than some account on a third party service. If you want, you can certainly use a third party service.

For example: if you think you'll be moving between computers a lot, you might want to install Chrome, set up Chrome Sync to your Google account, and then visit instawallet.org. It will give you an address you can use which is identified by a URL, so pressing the star button in your address bar will effectively mean you can always get back to that address by installing chrome, logging in and then opening that bookmark.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: