Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:12:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Admin: can you block link masquerading which redirect to malicious files ?  (Read 916 times)
Voidlord (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 12:26:55 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2014, 02:12:12 PM by Voidlord

Hello,

everything is in the title: can you block link masquerading which redirect to malicious files after a quote ?

In order to be clear:

The Opal team had recently posted a legitimate link on the BitcoinTalk forums to the download to their latest client. Diabanhxeo, the hacker’s profile name (ID# 210031), quoted the link on a post, but changed the link to a malicious one that downloaded a fake RAR file. Opal’s client, however, is compressed with ZIP.

here is a part of a talk between users.
You don't realize.... the attacker quoted the devs then he changed the link in the quote, so many people think that it was the original link, not everybody know that we can make a yahoo.com hyperlink with a redirection on google.com

After all, if the malware is crypted you cannot detect anything using antivirus, the real problem is why bitcointalk allow user to make a Yahoo.com hyperlink able to redirect on google.com ?

Many thanks for the attention you pay to my ask.

E=(ɔ)mc²
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 01:04:37 PM

Hello,

everything is in the title: can you block link masquerading which redirect to malicious files ?
-snip-

How do you suggest the detection of malicious files? Every time in the past I reported a link to a virus the post was removed very promtly. What exactly is your suggestion for the staff to do?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Voidlord (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 01:52:04 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2014, 02:17:48 PM by Voidlord

How do you suggest the detection of malicious files? Every time in the past I reported a link to a virus the post was removed very promtly. What exactly is your suggestion for the staff to do?

if it is possible to forbid link masquerading after a quote:
Example:

Official devs:
please download the Mandatory

here is the syntax: (i put * to block the link in order to be clear)
[*url=https://bitcoin.org/en/download]Mandatory[/url]

here the link go to bitcoin wallet download page

See the post below

E=(ɔ)mc²
Voidlord (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 01:57:40 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2014, 02:20:54 PM by Voidlord

Official devs:

Attacker change the link in the quote which redirect to his malicious URL (here i put virustotal.com just for example, obviously virustotal is not malicious)

I am asking if Bitcointalk admin can do something against that

Like find a trick to automatically turn off link in quote

E=(ɔ)mc²
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 02:33:53 PM

Official devs:

Attacker change the link in the quote which redirect to his malicious URL (here i put virustotal.com just for example, obviously virustotal is not malicious)

I understand your suggestion, but I doubt it will be done. A quote is no different from a regular post. Even if this would work via the quote tag, someone using that technique could modify the quote tag to refer a different post easily (see above).
All browsers (expect maybe mobile) offer a way to spot this. Hover over the linktext with the mouse and see where it leads. IMHO this is internet 101. Dont click a link where you have no idea where you end up. This includes shortened links, which is a perfect tool for someone to link to a fake page. The hardcore version would be to go to the URL you think the link leads by hand and copy pasta the rest of the link. E.g. if you get a stearncommunity/blabla link, you go to the page steamcommunity and copy the /blabla behind it.

I hope you found the difference...

Voidlord (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 03:12:34 PM

I understand your suggestion, but I doubt it will be done. A quote is no different from a regular post. Even if this would work via the quote tag, someone using that technique could modify the quote tag to refer a different post easily (see above).
All browsers (expect maybe mobile) offer a way to spot this. Hover over the linktext with the mouse and see where it leads. IMHO this is internet 101. Dont click a link where you have no idea where you end up. This includes shortened links, which is a perfect tool for someone to link to a fake page. The hardcore version would be to go to the URL you think the link leads by hand and copy pasta the rest of the link. E.g. if you get a stearncommunity/blabla link, you go to the page steamcommunity and copy the /blabla behind it.

Thanks for your reply Shorena,

I dont ask for myself you know:

I ask that because there will always be people who will be fooled by such tricks.

Since the time i provide advices to users about the good behaviour regarding the web,

Maybe 10% apply my advices...

We are soon in 2015 and around 75% of the people i help irl (hardware, middleware, software) still use the same password for all their tools.... without speaking about the "birthpass" if you see what i mean Smiley.

E=(ɔ)mc²
Truther

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

Opal Dev

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 09:02:09 PM

Official devs:

The biggest issue this brings up is adoption.. The Fraud and Theft protection that banks and credits company's provide is the main advantage they have over crypto and it is a big advantage. Every scam and theft hurt cryptocurrency adoption. If we ever plan to make Bitcoin or any coin for that matter widely accept, protection o some type need to be considered. Simply saying "Well they should know better." is not an acceptable response to theft.

If cryptocurrencies are going to be a globally accepted currency, they need to be usable and trusted, by those who may not know anything about computers other then checking their email.
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 10:44:02 PM

This is actually pretty bad, especially if you make your text a link so people won't bother to see where it goes.  For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pK84PDvSqg

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 11:01:56 PM

-snip-
The biggest issue this brings up is adoption.. The Fraud and Theft protection that banks and credits company's provide is the main advantage they have over crypto and it is a big advantage. Every scam and theft hurt cryptocurrency adoption. If we ever plan to make Bitcoin or any coin for that matter widely accept, protection o some type need to be considered. Simply saying "Well they should know better." is not an acceptable response to theft.

If cryptocurrencies are going to be a globally accepted currency, they need to be usable and trusted, by those who may not know anything about computers other then checking their email.

The "you should know better, but we ban everyone we can catch"-approach seems to work for steam. Last time I checked they did not have problems with "adoption". Well they also restore your items in some cases... so you might have a point anyway.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: