Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:54:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doing 305 Mhash/s on 6870 but bitcoin.cz acount says it's 70 Mhash/s  (Read 2580 times)
marcelodmc3 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2012, 01:49:43 PM

Hi people!

I started mining last night just to see where this thing is going.

The problem is that I'm doing 305 Mhash/s on my HD 6870 using phoenix miner but my account in mining.bitcoin.cz says it's only ~70 Mhash/s (Average hashrate in last 10 rounds: 69 Mhash/s). Sometimes when I refresh the page it goes down or up a little bit but nothing close to the 305 Mhash/s that I'm seeing on my phoenix cmd. Is this normal? Will my share and payment be calculate over what phoenix says or over what mining.bitcoin.cz says?

Also I'm having nearly 0,9% of rejected work. Is this high? low? normal?

And one last thing: Considering that I bought my hardware for gaming 6 months ago and that the money I spent on it doesn't count as a investment (I don't even knew what was a bitcoin at that time), will 305 Mhash/s at least pay my energy bill?

Thanks for the attention and forgive my bad English... not my first language and I'm still learning it Tongue
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2012, 02:07:27 PM

The problem is that I'm doing 305 Mhash/s on my HD 6870 using phoenix miner but my account in mining.bitcoin.cz says it's only ~70 Mhash/s (Average hashrate in last 10 rounds: 69 Mhash/s). Sometimes when I refresh the page it goes down or up a little bit but nothing close to the 305 Mhash/s that I'm seeing on my phoenix cmd. Is this normal? Will my share and payment be calculate over what phoenix says or over what mining.bitcoin.cz says?

It's normal for the pool to be wrong about your hash rate, because it's trying to guess the hash rate based on how many proofs of work you send in, which again depends on luck. But... a deviation that large over 10 rounds, that sounds like something is very wrong.

Also I'm having nearly 0,9% of rejected work. Is this high? low? normal?

That's pretty high. Perhaps you are having issues with long polling. On my pool I had to make all sorts of adjustments to make this work well. If you have a home router that times out connections after just a few minutes you may want to change that timeout if possible.

Also, if your internet connection is unstable (comes and goes) that can cause your miner to resubmit the same proofs of work multiple times, which will cause some rejects.

Do you have any error messages from the miner?

And one last thing: Considering that I bought my hardware for gaming 6 months ago and that the money I spent on it doesn't count as a investment (I don't even knew what was a bitcoin at that time), will 305 Mhash/s at least pay my energy bill?

That depends on how much you pay for electricity and what else you have in the computer that uses electricity while it's on.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
Koooooj

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 04:03:36 AM

I wouldn't rely too much on that 70 Mhash/s figure.  I get about 620 Mhash/s from my Radeon 6970 and FirePro v7800 (not bought for mining), but mining.bitcoin.cz only reports 110 Mhash/s.  Granted, I have just restarted mining after a couple month hiatus, so that may be the source of both of our discrepancies between Phoenix and mining.bitcoin.cz.

What I really look at is the rate of earning bitcoins compared to what is calculated at http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php.  As long as it's close, I don't worry about it.
silentseawolf

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 04:48:34 AM

a 6870 should pay for its self plus 50-100% in terms of energy used per BTC.  what are you running to get 305 mhs out of your card?  Mine run around 250 msh each, crossfired. (my game rig)

running windows 7 and GUIminer
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2012, 05:21:50 PM

Keep in mind that the speed reported on Slush is averaged over 10 rounds, so it can take a while to report the correct speed. The reported number is an estimate of your hash rate based on the rate at which you submit shares. If it's low, I personally would be a little concerned that your share submission rate is throttled for some reason. In Phoenix, I've noticed that trying to max out your hash rate with really high aggression (9+) can throttle your share submission rate. As an experiment, you might try backing off the aggression a little, let the card run for 24 hrs and see if the rate reported by Slush is closer to what you see on your end. If it is, then your settings probably were throttling your submission rate. I've seen throttling both from high aggression settings and also from running too close to the stability limit of your card in terms of core clock. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: