Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:30:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thinking about long time investment  (Read 2213 times)
JNord (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:18:57 PM

Hi all.

I am fairly new to bitcoins but I know some people that have made alot of money on bitcoins during these years.

So let me introduce myself: I am a guy that have played poker for many years and have made enough money in the peak of online poker but as poker is getting harder I am doing some investments in real life businesses but also thinking to do some investment in stocks and currency. For the currency I have been thinking to invest partially in bitcoins and would like to know the pros and cons of bitcoins and best methodss to trade and be safe. Any links to older posts briefing me into this would be much apriciated.

Thank you guys for your time and hopefully I will be a regular bitcoin talker soon.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:24:03 PM

Hi all.

I am fairly new to bitcoins but I know some people that have made alot of money on bitcoins during these years.

So let me introduce myself: I am a guy that have played poker for many years and have made enough money in the peak of online poker but as poker is getting harder I am doing some investments in real life businesses but also thinking to do some investment in stocks and currency. For the currency I have been thinking to invest partially in bitcoins and would like to know the pros and cons of bitcoins and best methodss to trade and be safe. Any links to older posts briefing me into this would be much apriciated.

Thank you guys for your time and hopefully I will be a regular bitcoin talker soon.

1 question:

If you are such a good poker player, why not earn your Bitcoins by playing poker?

No need to waste your hard earned FIAT.
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:25:18 PM

Hi all.

Pros:
* Decentralized, without central regulation
* Irreversible, meaning that once you receive a confirmed transaction, you are sure to have it.
* Securely storable using tools such as hardware wallets, paper wallets, multisig
* Great growth potential

Cons:
* Many scams, with little to no possibility of refund
* Potential for a crash
* Irreversible, meaning that if your coins are scammed or stolen, you can't do anything about it
* Lost wallet passphrases mean irreversible loss of coins.

Safety tips:
* Trust nobody.
* Offers that seem to good to be true are.
* Understand the relation between private keys, addresses, and transactions
* Safeguard your private keys using tools such as hardware wallets, paper wallets, or by using multisig addresses.
* Keep backups in extremely safe places.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
Built

Activity: 11

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:29:09 PM

Hi all.

Pros:
* Irreversible, meaning that once you receive a confirmed transaction, you are sure to have it.
* Securely storable using tools such as hardware wallets, paper wallets, multisig
* Great growth potential

Cons:
* Many scams, with little to no possibility of refund
* Potential for a crash
* Irreversible, meaning that if your coins are scammed or stolen, you can't do anything about it
* Lost wallet passphrases mean irreversible loss of coins.

Safety tips:
* Trust nobody.
* Offers that seem to good to be true are.
* Understand the relation between private keys, addresses, and transactions
* Safeguard your private keys using tools such as hardware wallets, paper wallets, or by using multisig addresses.
* Keep backups in extremely safe places.

This is good advice for us noobs thank you.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2014, 09:32:20 PM

Maybe look into forex trading if you're looking to make money from currency trading, maybe leverage against the euro and dinar and such.

If you want a better currency for your future use, Bitcoin is that answer. Look into Apple and other tech stocks for your investment desires.

Whatever you invest in, make sure you're not keeping your earnings in any fiat currency. They will not be worth much in a few years no matter how well your investments turn out.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
JNord (OP)

Activity: 27

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:38:07 PM

Hi all.

1 question:

If you are such a good poker player, why not earn your Bitcoins by playing poker?

As I explained poker is not what it was some years ago and oppoinents are tougher plus I am getting older so investment seems wise.
Atdhe

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

Atdhe Nuhiu

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:41:46 PM

Hi all.

1 question:

Gambling is tougher and tougher. OP did not claim he is a world champion. Few years ago just decent players could make nice money. I had a team of players that I was staking.

For OP
If you want to invest money to btc, take it as highly speculative investment. And long term. Imagine it like bet with odds 1000:1 where fair value is 100:1. You can imagine you can not bet a lot, I hope.

Pros - if it goes high, it will go really high. Otherwise it will bust or survive at quite low level.
Buy only at some good exchange like Bitstamp, Bitfinex or Kraken. Once you convert money to BTC, they can be withdrawn fast.

Download some authorised wallet by bitcoin.org and store the btc in your computer that you will not use or on flash drive/hdd. Make backups. At least 2. This is the hardest part. Harder than buying the Bitcoin.
Atdhe

Atdhe Nuhiu

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:44:48 PM

Hi all.

1 question:

As I explained poker is not what it was some years ago and oppoinents are tougher plus I am getting older so investment seems wise.

Do not get disturbed. Most ppl here want to be rich without effort (and think that professional gambling or running central bank is just fun for money), so they are jealous and they want to punish you for your monetary sins Cheesy

Activity: 56

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:45:23 PM

Calm down fellas, I was just asking.

I know I would have tried poker if I was good at it.

I have heard of some crazy numbers some people made in BTC playing dice and poker.

So it is obvious that if I had skills on either I would go for it.

That's all.

EDIT: Atdhe, I have nothing to be jealous of mate.

Atdhe

Atdhe Nuhiu

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:49:34 PM

Well it is not that simple. If someone is good, it does not mean a lot, because the important part is how good are opponents. Few yrs ago USA started the war on gambling and that caused outflow of fishes from poker. So what remained was much less money and much tougher players.

Second problem is - at all parts of internet - that bigger are growing and swallowing the smaller ones. Everything goes towards monopolisation. Exactly like mining. I quit with gambling for the same reason.
Atdhe

Atdhe Nuhiu

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:50:17 PM

EDIT: Atdhe, I have nothing to be jealous of mate.

that is good for your karma. I apologise.
hexafraction

Activity: 392
Merit: 259

Tips welcomed: 1CF4GhXX1RhCaGzWztgE1YZZUcSpoqTbsJ

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 09:59:40 PM

This is good advice for us noobs thank you.

No problem, I try to help new people when I can.

I have recently become active again after a long period of inactivity. Cryptographic proof that my account has not been compromised is available.
caga

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 12:01:53 AM

Hi all.

Maybe you should not invest in bitcoins for the price. Already a lot of people in it for only investments.
It might go down to 100$ as well, so definitely a very risky investment.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2014, 12:16:20 AM

hello there,

start learning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0oDDIy0P2s

BTC is more than you think  Smiley

Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 12:20:54 AM

Hi all.

Maybe you should not invest in bitcoins for the price. Already a lot of people in it for only investments.
It might go down to 100$ as well, so definitely a very risky investment.
It's really not a terrible time to invest in bitcoin as a newbie, though. Compared to other price points in the past year, things look pretty good for buying a nice stash. There's a good amount of support right now.

Get a Trezor or learn how to do cold storage. Go on an exchange, buy, and then sit on them for a bit. $330ish is not a bad entry point, even if there is significant risk that it could go down to $100.

CoinFriend

Activity: 266

support.

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 12:26:13 AM

Hi all.

if you want you can invest in a wide field of anything what is related with bitcoin. so much is possible. Sometimes i also look where i can invest something.
Now i found CRYPTOPIA a exchange for cryptocurrency. it is maybe an opportunity with a lot of potential.
You can mine and trade a lot of Coins there and also sell your goods for coins at the marketplace on the website. That is something special. i have never seen those kind of exchange before.
so have a look
https://www.cryptopia.co.nz/

- https://www.cryptopia.co.nz  - your one stop crypto shop  -
Exchange, Mineshaft, Marketplace and much more. Check it out Smiley
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:00:02 AM

Bitcoin is right here to stay.

Better than Bank ...
Less expensive than Credit Card ...
More trusty than Fiat Money ...
Easy to spend than Gold ...
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:25:14 AM

I believe Bitcoin may be a very wise investment, especially in the long term. The potential upsides are huge and the adoption isn't nearly complete. But this is just a gut-feeling. No one knows whether Bitcoin will really enter the mainstream at any point and really gain traction. It still remains a very risky investment and you may end up losing everything.
See for yourself what you're willing to risk and invest. Don't panic and don't act on emotions when the price falls. And most importantly: Make up your own mind about your investment decisions!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 02:03:51 AM

Bitcoin supply is limited and precisely predictable.
This is a big reason some are very bullilsh.

pablox43

Activity: 9

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 02:29:12 AM

I would put a portion 15% - 20% in bitcoin. There are a lot of smart people backing Bitcoin right now (i.e. Marc Andreessen). Additionally, Bitcoin provides an immense advantage for both business and consumers. Although Bitcoin is getting popular, the  real revolution will come from the technology behind Bitcoin.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: