Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:29:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this helping bitcoin price?  (Read 1019 times)
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 3869

View Profile
December 20, 2014, 10:25:29 PM

https://www.coinbase.com/gifts

A pretty awesome feature if you ask me.
you can print paper wallet (in Bits, so no stupid zeroes after the decimal!) or send email.
I intend to give a paper wallet to each and every member of my family for Holidays (perhaps together with instructions where to get the online wallet)-maybe it will 'force' them to finally learn something about BTC  Smiley.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bucktotal

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 12:14:30 AM

most people don't like to be forced to learn about anything, let alone new technology.

but i like the idea in general!  Grin
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 12:21:47 AM

most people don't like to be forced to learn about anything, let alone new technology.

but i like the idea in general!  Grin

it's not like giving my kid 200K bits will force him to do anything, but it could inspire, I hope.
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 12:36:05 AM

I still can't quite decide whether giving away BTC on a paper wallet is cheesy, pushy, and awkward or whether it really is a decent way of spreading the word. I guess you should at least make sure not to sound pushy or all preachy.
Apart from that it is a nice service in my opinion, at least if you definitely already are into Bitcoin.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 12:51:49 AM

I still can't quite decide whether giving away BTC on a paper wallet is cheesy, pushy, and awkward or whether it really is a decent way of spreading the word. I guess you should at least make sure not to sound pushy or all preachy.
Apart from that it is a nice service in my opinion, at least if you definitely already are into Bitcoin.

I'll just put it under the tree together with other (conventional) stuff.
paper wallet as a present+breadwallet (on iphone/android)=some interest (I hope)
If only LoL, WoW or Facebook/twitter incorporated changetip (or something like that), then I am sure that it would have become very popular among kids.
minerpumpkin

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:00:21 AM

paper wallet as a present+breadwallet (on iphone/android)=some interest (I hope)
If only LoL, WoW or Facebook/twitter incorporated changetip (or something like that), then I am sure that it would have become very popular among kids.

I still believe that there's not much incentive for the average person to use a crypto-/decentralized currency at the moment. Sure, people into Bitcoin do get the advantages and are in it because they're convinced of it, but I think it's just still too complicated and too "awkward", unfortunately.

Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:15:29 AM

I still believe that there's not much incentive for the average person to use a crypto-/decentralized currency at the moment. Sure, people into Bitcoin do get the advantages and are in it because they're convinced of it, but I think it's just still too complicated and too "awkward", unfortunately.

have you seen the breadwallet? What could be simpler?
Are you working on a better one?
minerpumpkin

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:20:44 AM

You're fighting the wrong guy here. I'm all pro-Bitcoin and optimistic in its utility and long-term success. The only thing I also have to consider is that this really is new technology and it puzzles the hell out of people. Even tech-savvy ones. And even if we get the apps to be easy and fun to use (Breadwallet, and whatnot...) people will be wary of Bitcoin just because "Why would you use another currency - this makes things more complicated" and the old fear that it "isn't backed by anything". We can't solve those problems or effects with decent and solid software.

Biodom (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:30:44 AM

You're fighting the wrong guy here. I'm all pro-Bitcoin and optimistic in its utility and long-term success. The only thing I also have to consider is that this really is new technology and it puzzles the hell out of people. Even tech-savvy ones. And even if we get the apps to be easy and fun to use (Breadwallet, and whatnot...) people will be wary of Bitcoin just because "Why would you use another currency - this makes things more complicated" and the old fear that it "isn't backed by anything". We can't solve those problems or effects with decent and solid software.

I am not fighting with you or anyone at all. That said, I never cared about what other people were wary or fearful about (to a degree, of course).
I have no idea what you are talking about since I don't know your geographical location-maybe this would explain it.
brg444

Activity: 644
Merit: 504

Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:36:01 AM

I don't believe so. My impression is most of Coinbase's liquidity comes from its merchant business. Certainly they are not buying on exchange anymore.

"I believe this will be the ultimate fate of Bitcoin, to be the "high-powered money" that serves as a reserve currency for banks that issue their own digital cash." Hal Finney, Dec. 2010
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4004
Merit: 4482

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
December 21, 2014, 01:37:41 AM

Why call them 200k bits when you could call them 20 million satoshis?

Millions sound much better.

Other than that, why pay for a service you can do yourself so easily for free?

It's nice to see them promoting the idea of bitcoin gifts though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: