Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 08:04:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transaction chain  (Read 1541 times)
DarkEmi (OP)

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 11:06:02 PM

Hello all,

First let me tell you all that i love the bitcoin concept. I wont detail the reasons as others have already did this numerous times, however i have a little concern.

How is the transaction chain gonna scale if at times the whole earth use it ?

It would becomes really hard to have and store the chain, and as well, could become hard to "keep up" for the network if transactions are created faster than it happens. I know, seems hard, however i work in finance and see daily algorithm doing like 1 million orders daily, making huge logs and huge database of which only a fraction of information is finally kept.

What are the technical solution that can be implemented to counter this eventual problem ?

ProProfi.com
The first home improvement service cryptocurrency project
ICO | Discuss on Forum
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bittersweet

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 11:09:56 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Scalability

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 11:11:17 PM

Hello all,

First let me tell you all that i love the bitcoin concept. I wont detail the reasons as others have already did this numerous times, however i have a little concern.

How is the transaction chain gonna scale if at times the whole earth use it ?

It would becomes really hard to have and store the chain, and as well, could become hard to "keep up" for the network if transactions are created faster than it happens. I know, seems hard, however i work in finance and see daily algorithm doing like 1 million orders daily, making huge logs and huge database of which only a fraction of information is finally kept.

What are the technical solution that can be implemented to counter this eventual problem ?

Short story: Not everyone will keep the whole thing. Some will keep none, some headers only.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
bittrader

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:36:20 AM

Also keep in mind that as the number of transactions go up, the transaction fee reward from solving blocks will also go up.

To take the example used in the wiki article mentioned above: say the network was handling 2,000 transactions per second. This would be costing at least some people a lot in bandwidth. However, assuming a block takes ten minutes to solve, then there would be 2000 * 60 * 10 = 1,200,000 transactions in it. If the average transaction fee is 0.01, then that would be a 12,000 BTC reward for solving the block. That's ~$70,000 at today's exchange rates.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 06:37:35 AM

Also keep in mind that as the number of transactions go up, the transaction fee reward from solving blocks will also go up.

To take the example used in the wiki article mentioned above: say the network was handling 2,000 transactions per second. This would be costing at least some people a lot in bandwidth. However, assuming a block takes ten minutes to solve, then there would be 2000 * 60 * 10 = 1,200,000 transactions in it. If the average transaction fee is 0.01, then that would be a 12,000 BTC reward for solving the block. That's ~$70,000 at today's exchange rates.

The fee is going to drop by orders of magnitude soon imo.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: