Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:45:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open source means I can make my own bitcoin currency right?  (Read 2582 times)
Aleqi (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 11:09:52 PM

So I can start Aleqibitcoin from scratch right? 

Copy and paste the software and POOF a new world currency is born... inflation record 0%... users 1... dollar value 0...

I suppose I'm asking can you run an new bitcoin system (in all but name and currency,) using bitcoin software?

Has/can this be done?

I ask because it seems this could be a good option for a commune co-op farm or a tiny town that wants to save money (through dodging US dollar inflation,) for municipal funding and services.  Or if I become some rubber baron carpet bagger on some small island in Thailand.  Or for a massive refugee camp.  Set up the currency using bitcoin software...  value it by donations for the cause!  Stuff like that.

***About the poster - I love the Zeitgeist movies and I have longed for a way to escape inflation.  Also I loved Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand and I think that the bit coin sounds a bit like her "Atlantis."
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 11:15:31 PM

Yes, the problem is that double spends will be trivial on your chain. The most used chain will always be the most attractive for 2 reasons. Extra double spend protection and wider use. So everyone joins the strongest, making it stronger still.

There is no reason not to use regular bitcoin for your coop. It will be easier for people to pay you since they have bitcoins, not Aleqibitcoin. And easier for you to use since merchants take bitcoin, not Aleqibitcoin.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 11:16:09 PM

Has/can this be done?

Yes, the test net is one example.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 11:16:53 PM

So I can start Aleqibitcoin from scratch right?  

- http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=2322.0

Also, without any changes to the source other than the id and the port, I hope you don't mind a few hundred GHash/s unwinding and double spending transactions:
  - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Weaknesses#Attacker_has_a_lot_of_computing_power

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

TradersEdgeDice

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2011, 11:47:30 PM

I'm all in favor of small groups spinning off the bitcoin code.  There are parts of the user spectrum that don't need to be in the main branch.  The very light side (small towns) and the very dark side (criminal organizations.)

They should both develop their own branches.

Like what I posted?

Buy my Metal FX Currency Dice Set
http://tradersedgedice.com

Buyers using bitcoin get a deep discount.  Free worldwide shipping.

Web of Trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=TradersEdgeDice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

GPG Identity: http://bitcoin-otc.com/
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 19, 2011, 11:49:16 PM

They can circumvent that "double spender attacker" (probably something as one as dumb or as desperate as the later MtGox/Bitcoin forum DDoSer would try to do) by simply restrict the universe of those who can access their currency.

i.e. If it's just for his town they could either setup a local network or restrict to IP's only from that town to access the blockchain.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 03:50:30 AM

I'm all in favor of small groups spinning off the bitcoin code.  There are parts of the user spectrum that don't need to be in the main branch.  The very light side (small towns) and the very dark side (criminal organizations.)

we can tell other people what they should and shouldn't be doing as much as we want .... doesn't make a damn bit of difference in my experience.

TradersEdgeDice

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 12:13:17 PM

we can tell other people what they should and shouldn't be doing as much as we want .... doesn't make a damn bit of difference in my experience.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

We should shut down the forum immediately.  That's another "should".  :-)

The OP was asking about his goal.  I'm guessing he wants to implement a variation of BTC to minimize or to eliminate the chaos of an exchange. If TPB was the only avenue for bit torrent, where would the protocol be?

Like what I posted?

Buy my Metal FX Currency Dice Set
http://tradersedgedice.com

Buyers using bitcoin get a deep discount.  Free worldwide shipping.

Web of Trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=TradersEdgeDice&sign=ANY&type=RECV

GPG Identity: http://bitcoin-otc.com/
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 05:24:25 PM

People can do whatever they want to.  Welcome to the the world of voluntaryism, the internet, open-source, and free-markets.  Pretend that the government doesn't exist.  Don't ask for permission.  Just live free as a free person should.  Just remember that in order to be free, you must permit other people to be free as well.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
kowalski09

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:36:10 PM

Unless you offer some technical advantage/distinction why would one participate in your network/economy?
tomcollins

Activity: 182
Merit: 101

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 08:57:07 PM

Unless you offer some technical advantage/distinction why would one participate in your network/economy?

Same reason they join Bitcoin - speculation.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: