Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:20:57 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your Bitcoin pitch?  (Read 1897 times)
sobitcoin (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 07:42:21 AM

When you tell people about bitcoin, what is your pitch?

Why? I want to help promote cryptocurrencys to the average joe, the people who can help support the businesses accepting bitcoin by using it in their daily expenditures.  Associates that understand investing, marketing and the technical side of things.... no problem... Merchants have the potential to use awesome services that set them up in minutes with great checkout buttons/options and protect against fluctuations why wouldn't you accept it...  

The main hold up with most of my technically.... incapable friends that would be using Bitcoin in a consumer setting.  The ones who work 9-5's in a non tech setting. The main question that comes up is usually, what about the volatility and all the work involved to spend a comparable amount on goods. If i buy bitcoin today to shop tomorrow, how will i know i can still buy what i want.  My response tends to hover around, as a bitcoin shopper, i would imagine you wouldn't buy 300$ of btc assuming it will be worth less tomorrow, so using bitcoin as a consumer you are acquiring it with confidence in tomorrows value.

Basically, i just want to hear how you guys approach/pitch bitcoin your social circles, and what has been successful in getting your less technical friends involved with bitcoin for daily p2p transfers or typical consumer purchases.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 08:49:32 AM

Good question. 

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. 

Don't overdo it, people need to follow the learning curve on their own pace.  Introducing the word "fiat" is more imporant than using the B word which I avoid completely. 

Public currencies, digital currencies, and non-counterfeitable currencies, are friendlier terms. 
RiverBoatBTC

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2014, 08:50:31 AM

I tell people to buy bitcoin or they'll be poor forever.

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 09:40:39 AM

I ask them if they have ever heard of Digital Currency. Generally one comes up saying how illegal it is.

Then I tell them the names... Microsft, Wikipedia, DELL, Expedia...

Then the start scratching their heads and after a few days ping me on FB. I understand they have at least read the Bitcoin article on Wikipedia.

Mission accomplished. Now they are on their own.

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2014, 10:37:45 AM

Lead by example. Demonstrate how Bitcoin is useful to you and is helpful to you.

Others will use it or not based on whether or not they believe it will also be useful to them.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Whitehouse

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 11:05:49 AM

Lead by example. Demonstrate how Bitcoin is useful to you and is helpful to you.

Others will use it or not based on whether or not they believe it will also be useful to them.

This is how I try and explain it to people. I first usually start off by trying to tell them about how fiat currency is issued and is essentially unbacked and they can print as much as they want which can have disastrous consequences. I also tell them about the potential investment value of btc but also explain the risks.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 11:13:35 AM

Good question.  

I tell them something similar. I say "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him rich." Then I tell them "I won't recommend investing in bitcoin but many wealth managers recommend having 1% bitcoin in their portfolio and that the best and safest way to acquire it is through dollar cost averaging."

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Jamie_Boulder

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2014, 11:38:53 AM

I don't pitch it to anyone, in fact I don't talk about Bitcoin in my day to day life at all, just like other people don't talk to me about their fiat currency...

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2014, 11:40:48 AM

Good question.  

Don't overdo it, people need to follow the learning curve on their own pace.  Introducing the word "fiat" is more imporant than using the B word which I avoid completely.  

Public currencies, digital currencies, and non-counterfeitable currencies, are friendlier terms.  

"Don't overdo it" is a good advise. tell them a little piece week by week or month by month. and it must be easy. dont talk about the blockchain, the "public ledger"  Cheesy or Cryptography because nobody will listen to that at first time.

"Bitcoin is money for the internet", "when you hate banks, use friendly Bitcoin", "save money by using BTC"

and whats best: sent them some bits (1 Dollar or so)

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2014, 12:39:07 PM

The closest that i get is when talking to fellow traders who trade real fiat currencies. Just told it work just like real currency and you can actually make money doing trading.

1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 01:23:13 PM

Not so long ago I managed to convince some of my family members to use Bitcoin as form of transferring money from one play to the other.

I took the time to tell them what Bitcoin is and how it works. Explained them that it is far more than only the "bad illigal currency" that they hear of in the news.

Not sure if they will continue to use it, but it's a first step. Their main struggle is the volatility, which is understandable of course.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 01:40:29 PM

I've only successfully taught three friends (out of dozens I've talked to) how to set up the client, wait for it to sync and actually receive / send btc to an address. Of those three only one has used it beyond the training session and I don't think he uses it anymore because he told me he thought it was too much trouble. I was able to "pitch" it to them and have them try it because they were trying to be nice and it cost them nothing. I sent them some coin to play with.

I don't think Bitcoin is one of those things you can promote like a new car or great vacation you went on. It's something people will be interested in and use or completely disregard without wanting to know more. Bitcoin just needs time and a chance to grow organically.

sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 05:23:13 PM

I don't pitch it to anyone, in fact I don't talk about Bitcoin in my day to day life at all, just like other people don't talk to me about their fiat currency...

If nobody ever communicated an idea, how would others learn about it?  I see what you're saying, but i personally feel ideas need to be communicated or nobody will know. Everyone knows about USD because it is in your pocket before you know that it is.
sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 05:27:16 PM

Good question.  

Don't overdo it, people need to follow the learning curve on their own pace.  Introducing the word "fiat" is more imporant than using the B word which I avoid completely.  

"Don't overdo it" is a good advise. tell them a little piece week by week or month by month. and it must be easy. dont talk about the blockchain, the "public ledger"  Cheesy or Cryptography because nobody will listen to that at first time.

"Bitcoin is money for the internet", "when you hate banks, use friendly Bitcoin", "save money by using BTC"

and whats best: sent them some bits (1 Dollar or so)

Ahh such good comments. Big difference between spamming and telling someone about something briefly.  I actually find that the bitcoin topic starts nas a 5 minute conversation, and will all the questions involved it ends up being 1.5 hours of madness! But they do seem interested i think its good to take queues from those who seem interested and those who want ya to shut up.  Thanks guys.
sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 05:30:57 PM

I've only successfully taught three friends (out of dozens I've talked to) how to set up the client, wait for it to sync and actually receive / send btc to an address. Of those three only one has used it beyond the training session and I don't think he uses it anymore because he told me he thought it was too much trouble. I was able to "pitch" it to them and have them try it because they were trying to be nice and it cost them nothing. I sent them some coin to play with.

I don't think Bitcoin is one of those things you can promote like a new car or great vacation you went on. It's something people will be interested in and use or completely disregard without wanting to know more. Bitcoin just needs time and a chance to grow organically.

=) I love this comment, i think it's very realistic. Thanks. Your first paragraph is bang on and it seems like there is still a little maturing for bitcoin before it falls in the pockets of some. Time to innnovate!
zyzzbrah

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 05:41:40 PM

This is unfortunately how most people react to Bitcoin, otherwise they don't care.
People in general are too dumb to care and they will not start using it unless it becomes a trendy thing among the celebs or something. If no celebs used twitter no one would use twitter.
sobitcoin (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 05:48:08 PM

This is unfortunately how most people react to Bitcoin, otherwise they don't care.
People in general are too dumb to care and they will not start using it unless it becomes a trendy thing among the celebs or something. If no celebs used twitter no one would use twitter.

Haha oh twitter. Of my 4k~ followers, i believe ~1000 are active people.  It's kinda going down hill, but i still find use for international networking minus all the BS.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2014, 05:55:59 PM

Easy.  If they like to save money and earn points, use Bitcoin:

https://purse.io/

http://www.gyft.com/

Shoppers love to save and love to get rewards for shopping.  BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!   Cool

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 06:07:17 PM

My pitch is 'decentralised'. I think that there is no authority and nobody able to inflate or change the rules when necessary is a huge strength and I feel it appeals to my friends.

caga

Activity: 238

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 11:34:05 PM

I don't pitch it to anyone. I selfishly, enjoy the technology myself Tongue
JK. I just tell how it is better than Fiat. And, send them some btc to get them started.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: