Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 01:09:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Discussion] Bitcoin ETF  (Read 3745 times)
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
February 17, 2017, 05:08:56 PM

ETF going through will be a big thing for bitcoin, the odds of it going through are still slim with most people giving numbers ranging from 25% up to 35% of being approved. This would put bitcoin into the hands of thousands of big and small investors who under normal circumstances wouldn't touch bitcoin with a barge pole. The whole winklevoss ETF has been ongoing for almost 4 years now so this is it finally coming to a close and if no decision is made by the 11th of march then the new rule will be set in place by default and bitcoin can be traded as ETF.

There should be more coverage on this on bitcoin talk imo as it would lead onto a definite bull run.

I sense big money coming from the ETF. All those old big money men are going to come to bitcoin with the ETF, because they are too dumb to learn the technology and get their money in crypto exchanges, or maybe too smart, since they don't want to risk unregulated stuff.

So I sense 5 figures in not a long time from now. The ETF will get accepted sooner or later so no need to worry about dips if it doesn't get accepted again.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2017, 05:14:14 PM

ETF going through will be a big thing for bitcoin, the odds of it going through are still slim with most people giving numbers ranging from 25% up to 35% of being approved. This would put bitcoin into the hands of thousands of big and small investors who under normal circumstances wouldn't touch bitcoin with a barge pole. The whole winklevoss ETF has been ongoing for almost 4 years now so this is it finally coming to a close and if no decision is made by the 11th of march then the new rule will be set in place by default and bitcoin can be traded as ETF.

There should be more coverage on this on bitcoin talk imo as it would lead onto a definite bull run.

I sense big money coming from the ETF. All those old big money men are going to come to bitcoin with the ETF, because they are too dumb to learn the technology and get their money in crypto exchanges, or maybe too smart, since they don't want to risk unregulated stuff.

So I sense 5 figures in not a long time from now. The ETF will get accepted sooner or later so no need to worry about dips if it doesn't get accepted again.

Exactly. The discussion thread should be full of stuff on the ETF but instead everyone is still worrying about the same old stuff. We are literally a few weeks away from the possibility of this going through and that means a lot of money more than likely will come in. Traditional investors dont like learning new technology's like bitcoin but if they can trade it as a ETF then there is a massive store of wealth just waiting to get tapped into. 

mtwelve
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2017, 01:27:43 AM

We are assuming the ETF does get accepted for this bull run to occur however. Delays are no longer possible and the final decision is indeed to be made March 11th, but what if it's denied? Will this lead to a dump? Are we going to see three figures again?

HIRE ME FOR SEO, SOCIAL MEDIA, COPYWRITING, AND MORE: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5100134.0
aryer84

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 19, 2017, 01:41:41 AM

I for one cannot wait to get my hands on this ETF.  Cheesy
WirelessDonkey

Activity: 10

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 07:43:02 AM

If the winklevoss etf is approved on March 11, when will we be able to buy it? March 11th? or is there some time before it's up and running?
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 01:38:24 PM

We are assuming the ETF does get accepted for this bull run to occur however. Delays are no longer possible and the final decision is indeed to be made March 11th, but what if it's denied? Will this lead to a dump? Are we going to see three figures again?

I believe so, because If everyone is buying right now for the sole purpose of making profit when the price increase after ETF gets approved, they will obviously get disappointed and sell everything they bought.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 01:49:38 PM

With regard to HOW the ETF actually works..

The price of the COIN ticker is not the price of a bitcoin ?

My limited, and probably wrong, understanding is that if many people buy COIN, then COIN will have to buy up Bitcoins from exchanges so that they have the correct amount of Bitcoin * Price (Winkdex) given how much there COIN ETF is worth.. ? And the same in reverse.

Can someone explain it pls..

Life is Code.
Red-Apple

Activity: 1470
Merit: 655

View Profile
February 28, 2017, 02:10:29 PM

I believe so, because If everyone is buying right now for the sole purpose of making profit when the price increase after ETF gets approved, they will obviously get disappointed and sell everything they bought.

there are always going to be people who buy because they want to make some quick profit and that is their only purpose and they always sell after a rise whether they are satisfied or not. and this has never changed anything about bitcoin price and its overall movement.
these things are all side-stuff which will always have temporary effect.

--signature space for rent; sent PM--
WirelessDonkey

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 12:51:37 PM

If the winklevoss etf is approved on March 11, when will we be able to buy it? March 11th? or is there some time before it's up and running?

Bump
dominikherzog5

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 12:55:45 PM

Bitcoin ETF is good for institutional investments.This will help people from different world to invest and that's good for bitcoin.
Bibite

Activity: 187
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 02:39:46 PM

Don't get too much hopes with ETF accepted. Two times rejected already. Two other funds of the same kind are pending approval: the ETF of the SolidX Bitcoin Trust and that of Grayscale Investments, a company owned by Barry Silbert. If it is accepted it could bring new investors but if not it could a flop with the price too!
pinkpanther03

Activity: 1092
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 01, 2017, 07:35:10 PM

I thought we should make a thread about the Bitcoin ETF and make a discussion about it , even though I don't fully understand what is this actually about , and I saw a question somewhere that really made me think why would someone buy shares on ETF that holds bitcoin while he could buy bitcoins himself ?

I also saw some interesting analysis on coindesk yesterday and wanted to take your opinion on it :

All I can say on this chart, I'm not sure if this is just a projection, It maybe happen  and It may not be happen, meaning 50/50 chances to be happen but whatever the result might gonna be still bitcoin will increase more.
WirelessDonkey

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 01:20:03 PM

Bump
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 01:22:26 PM

Bump

only they can tell you that. i assume they have absolutely everything ready to roll. what might take time is the bats exchange getting ready but maybe they're ready too.

it could be a couple of weeks, might be three or more months.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 05, 2017, 02:08:52 PM

ETF's wont cause much of a change to bitcoin at first.

for one.
most ETF had pre-bought the coins months/years before getting the green light from regulators.
also ETF are not trading bitcoins. they are trading shares in a company of X btc in trust. thus the price of a share is not directly impacting
bitcoin. because it does not result in any actual bitcoins being bought/sold.

there may be ETF events when they make announcements that they have added new 'baskets' (much like share dilution events) where the supply
of shares alters within the company. but this again is not about a change in bitcoins.

ETF will be more reactive to bitcoin prices so an ETF will follow the real bitcoin price rather than the other way around.

what positives i can see:
people will see an ETF and want to hold real bitcoin. so after playing with ETF or using ETF's for their official regulated pension funds. traders would separately then go and buy bitcoin for their personal holdings unofficially(outside their pension/investment contract)

mentions of the word bitcoin ETF would solidify bitcoin as a good asset. so again if its good for a ETF. people will then move off and buy bitcoin directly from proper bitcoin exchanges.

but i do not see the ETF price movements causing the real bitcoin prices to manoeuvre.. i see the bitcoin price movements manoeuvre ETF's

... just my opinion

So coming from someone who doesn't really quite understand how ETF's would work, I have a couple questions coming from what I highlighted above.

1) So with an ETF (Exchange Traded Funds), you are saying that people who invest into these are investing into a "company's" portfolio (i.e. Winklevoss bitcoin portfolio) rather than buying their own coins for what reasons?  How does this protect their investments?

2) If they can add more shares willingly to dilute their stocks enough to make it affordable, why even bother?  You can buy as much or as little Bitcoin as you want on regular exchanges.

Idk, I'm trying to see it from the side of the "non-techie guy" in trying to come up with reasons to invest in the ETF rather than just the asset itself, and can't really see why?  I understand this is primarily due to me not understanding how ETF's work IRL on the regular markets, but it gets confusing to me after looking up what an ETF is and seeing it's investing in a 'portfolio', when in this case it's just a portfolio of Bitcoin. (?)

OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 12:43:31 PM

We all know that ETF got rejected but the decision is being re-examined by SEC:

Further, the Commission hereby establishes that any party to the action or other person may file a written statement in support of or in opposition to the Disapproval Order on or before May 15, 2017

Source: https://www.sec.gov/rules/sro/batsbzx/2017/34-80511.pdf

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 26, 2017, 12:56:08 PM

We all know that ETF got rejected but the decision is being re-examined by SEC:

Further, the Commission hereby establishes that any party to the action or other person may file a written statement in support of or in opposition to the Disapproval Order on or before May 15, 2017

Source: https://www.sec.gov/rules/sro/batsbzx/2017/34-80511.pdf
What 'reexamine' in this case really means? Is this possible that SEC decision will be changed somehow?
Is there a known case from the past when after negative SEC decision another reevaluation changed initial decision?

I feel like SEC will forever give us the same response over and over again 'bitcoin can't be regulated, so there won't be ETF based on it".
Icaraswipeout

Activity: 24

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 04:06:28 PM

A bitcoin ETF is good for the like of big pension funds and large investment companies it gives them the regulatory protections they need to invest other peoples money.  Thats what i understand about then, i'm sure there are other benefits.  I think in general its a good thing,  but yes i would rather hold bitcoin myself, but my granny probably wont Smiley
Literally bitcoin ETF will bring opportunities to rest of people to invest-only into bitcoin rather than adopting it for investment purposes. It means bitcoin investments will get easier for non-technical people.

Honestly the impact of bitcoin ETF on price levels will be unpredictable as market will react on speculations. Still we all know what are magics new investors will do for us.

Not sure that ETF is really useful when it comes to Crypto.
Now, I don't say their is no room for a public bot that passive management.

aleksandrivanov99

Activity: 27

View Profile
August 14, 2018, 11:20:04 AM

Bitcoin ETF is a very good option, as it is going to bring some big non technical and non-crypto investors into this.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: