Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:47:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Worth adding BTC address for people to help support our YT channel?  (Read 919 times)
iluvpie60 (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2014, 06:57:58 PM
Last edit: December 23, 2014, 01:22:08 AM by iluvpie60

Hey guys,

Haven't posted much in a little bit. Hope everyone is doing good Smiley This is slightly long!

Well, awhile back I talked about how my ad sense on my YT channel got banned, how my brother's got banned, and my friend's got banned.
I am wholly frustrated with ad sense as you cannot contact them and basically have to just keep submitting a form saying you did not do anything wrong, then they copy and paste a bot like response of some bs of "too bad you lose ad sense boo hoo."

I previously put a BTC address into all my video descriptions on my channel with 12,000 total views, not much in views I know because I stopped uploading because ad sense got owned. For a month period I got like 1,000 views and got about $10 worth of BTC across 3 different people. I am trying to really figure out a kind of average and I am wondering, is it worth it to put a BTC address into my description on each video or will it turn people away? I don't want to turn anyone away.

Currently my friend and I are going really strong on his YT channel,  737 subscribers
75,544 views, 35,000 views in past 22 days and 350 subs+ past 22 days, which also has ad sense banned. We are part of a network that gives us about 1$ per 1000 views so we still get paid some, but ad sense used to give us $2 to $3 depending on how long the vid is and all the other stuff. My friend knows a little about BTC and I have discussed it with him like 5 or 6 times, he seems really hesitant to want to add in anything about "donations" I feel like he thinks it is like begging or something but he really won't give me an answer for some reason. But we are giving people a service and the content is decent quality so I tried telling him its not "donations/begging" it is people supporting us and we could buy new games to show tutorials/gameplay on with the BTC ppl send. I take him not really answering as him being nice and not wanting to say what he really feels, which is basically he doesn't want to do it. He seems like he won't even want to add paypal or anything else. The business person side of me is going crazy as to why he doesn't want to do this. I feel like he thinks there is some kind of negative stigma with BTC and it stems from one of his close friends telling him bs about it. His friend basically has about 30 minutes of time talking about btc/reading it and I got 5+ days on the forum here currently logged in time:) We are not in it to make money specifically as we just do what we like and upload it, but the money is an obvious side benefit and we are becoming bigger and bigger and realistically will be getting 100 subs a day pretty soon. We get 50 to 60 subscribers per day currently.

TL:DR

I have tried talking to my friend(he is the real owner of the channel) into taking BTC from anyone who wants to support us. I tried describing it to him that we can use the BTC funds to buy new games and we aren't begging for anything because we are actively creating our own content and providing a service. I feel like he won't listen to me unless I say it the right way. What would you guys say? We have gained 250 subs in the past 22 days and 35,000 views in the past 22 days. I feel like we are missing out on some BTC support that some people will provide.

If anyone is actually interesting in giving some feedback I would appreciate it. If it helps here is the link to our current views/subs.

https://www.youtube.com/user/StubbornBucket/about

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 12:16:39 AM

I can't see what would be wrong in adding bitcoin addy.

Just dress it in the nice wording, explain how would you use the funds etc.

I'm not particularly bitcoin rich, but made a few tips/donations and never felt like I was giving handout to the beggar, or anything like that. It's just a normal way of supporting a good effort.

Bitcoin didn't have a good press lately, maybe your friend is hesitant just because he thinks bitcoin is mostly used in the illegal activities and is afraid that it could cause a bad PR?

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 01:13:06 AM

I do not see where adding a donation address would be a problem unless it is against the TOS of the site that pays you for your videos to accept donations of any kind. As long as you are within the TOS of that site, it could never hurt to add a bitcoin donation address. The more money the better right?

iluvpie60 (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 01:21:40 AM

I do not see where adding a donation address would be a problem unless it is against the TOS of the site that pays you for your videos to accept donations of any kind. As long as you are within the TOS of that site, it could never hurt to add a bitcoin donation address. The more money the better right?
ahhh thank you for saying that. I will double check with him about the terms of service to see if that is an issue or not. I didn't even think of that!
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4470

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 01:56:51 AM

viewers care less about people shouting "subscribe" "like" "donate"..
but having irritating banners or adverts that have a countdown to skip before the video content begins, frustrates viewers more

so if your friend prefers to have a irritating banner that covers a 3rd of the bottom of the video or intro advert just to receive $2 for 1000 views.. but hates the idea of a simple QR code in the credits of your video... to receive $10, where it does not hinder the viewers entertainment.. then i think your friend has a weird view of reality..

come on, think about it.. if a viewer wants to watch a video they dont want to have to wait 4-30 seconds before it starts and then during the video clicking on the X of the bottom banner.. but i find it strange that your friend is ok about that irritation.. but not ok about bitcoin, especially as it seems to have earned you more.

your friend has 2 choices..
annoy people with the ads..
dont give a crap about ads and dont make any money..

as the alternative is to NOT annoy viewers whilst still providing a revenue stream via a simple QR code at the end of each video. which doesnt require waiting 4 seconds before being able to skip. nor does it rquire regularly clicking the bottom of the video just to see the full video.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 02:06:52 AM

mu point exactly, it wouldn't hurt to add a bitcoin donation service if possible.

commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 02:11:05 AM

I would say...

Forget about adsense. Uncheck those little boxes on the manager/editor for each video that says "Monetize with Ads." Put a BTC address in each video description and/or a QR code in the intro and outro of each video. It make it easy for people to tip you if they like your video.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:00:13 AM

Yes, you should definitely do it. BTC has a terrific use case for crowdsourcing into interesting new projects

ScreamnShout

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:10:31 AM

Changetip is another great way to expose Bitcoin to the youtube community. https://www.changetip.com/
malaimult

Activity: 658

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:46:47 AM

I would say...

Forget about adsense. Uncheck those little boxes on the manager/editor for each video that says "Monetize with Ads." Put a BTC address in each video description and/or a QR code in the intro and outro of each video. It make it easy for people to tip you if they like your video.
I would disagree with this. People are not very willing to pay for content they can get for free, especially when they can get it for free legally. Unless you are supporting some kind of good cause you are not going to get any meaningful amount of donations - I am surprised that the OP got donations from the 3 people that he received money from.

Advertising (via adsense on youtube) is how content creators can make money, there are several very popular channels whose creators make millions of dollars per year

Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:54:55 AM

I don't tip for "mental chewing gum", way way way too much of that, if it blows me away, yah, then I tip.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
iluvpie60 (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 01:40:53 PM

I would say...

I would disagree with this. People are not very willing to pay for content they can get for free, especially when they can get it for free legally. Unless you are supporting some kind of good cause you are not going to get any meaningful amount of donations - I am surprised that the OP got donations from the 3 people that he received money from.

Advertising (via adsense on youtube) is how content creators can make money, there are several very popular channels whose creators make millions of dollars per year

Well we are getting a good fanbase going, we are now 5,000  views higher than yesterday, and went from 737 subscribers to 798(it takes a day or two to get a real update in sometimes on subs/views). It seems we are attracting a rabid fanbase which is a lot of fun. We are just starting out and have no idea how far we will go, but we do like creating content that people want to see. I like doing it in a funny way and my friend is a bit more serious than I am. I really wouldn't want to put anything in the intro because that probably drives people nuts to see ads come up then a QR code.

We don't have ad sense, we are part of a network that pays less than ad sense did for each 1,000 views, which is fine because they aren't ban happy like ad sense is. Ad sense is basically a horrible program that bans tons of people all the time and gives you vague reasons and you can't appeal it almost ever. I have had two accounts banned, my brother had his banned, my friend has his banned, and another friend had his banned and we didn't do anything wrong, and with no recourse to get it back I abandoned my two accounts. Some people report after years of filling out appeal forms you can get your ad sense back.

I am not sure about mental chewing gum? Haven't heard that phrase. I assume it means simple/boring/easy? The stuff we upload we spend hours finding via in game ourselves, we don't watch other channels and take their stuff because we do our own ideas, although somethings in the game Destiny that we upload do exist already and thousands of people will upload it when they figure out themselves/copy someone else. It's really hard to be the original source in a video game that millions play because everyone and their brother/mother/father uploads to youtube. There are a few things we have that I feel are more towards unique or not many vids exist of what we make. If people want to stick around and sub to us it's because we help them with something and our personality helps make them a subscriber.

I have always been about helping people, working 3 years at Staples and 3 years at Valu Homecenter(small hardware store). It is nice to put stuff out to the community and talk with people. That's probably why I love forums so much, chatting it up with different people and you never know who is gonna get in your bed. lol. but really though, I think we can take it to the next level. just as a little aside, my dad has a YT channel with his adsense still there and he is just lucky, he has 900k total views and like 10k subs, he just posts train videos lol but its cool. My brother originally had 2 million total views from a channel he made over a 3 month period based on all Skyrim when it came out andhis got banned. We didn't know about BTC/youtube networks at the time so he got mad when he could't get it back and deleted everything. At least a network is around to compensate us some, but we do it for fun and creativity. It's really hard to find something creative to do that you like doing and it also helps people, so this is really good for me Smiley

thanks for posting guys I will take into consideration what everyone has been saying and I talked to my friend last night and he sounds like he is more on board, always a challenge when it comes to people using BTC!
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 23, 2014, 01:53:10 PM

Try Changetip

Skeksis

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 02:17:01 PM

Putting a bitcoin address in for donations wont hurt, but I doubt you're going to get much in tips. Like above said, also try changetip.
iluvpie60 (OP)

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 08:13:49 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2014, 05:54:52 AM by iluvpie60

Try Changetip

Ok, I checked it out since a few people mentioned it here and in other stuff.

In their TOS, it is free until July 2015 they said, then they take a 1% fee per withdrawal. Turned me off right away

I don't see how Changetip is that useful for people with BTC addresses already. It's another thing to setup an account, transfer funds into, then send them to a social media account. Granted that other person does not need a bitcoin address, it is sent to a social media account and only that social media acccount can claim it. So if I already have a bitcoin address I want it sent to, changetip does not help me at all... correct?? They say it is all bitcoin donations/tips you are sending people... So if only bitcoin users can use it how does it help them send me bitcoin? It doesn't help the sender unless the sender is sending to someone who doesn't have a bitcoin address. I might be wrong on this and it might do more.

Also, why wouldn't they just use paypal's gift option with 0% fee to send directly to an email address? Everyone has an email address and signing up for paypal is a lot easier than a complete noob learning about figuring out bitcoin, then figuring out change tip, then figuring out how to send to me.

I do agree with changetip's principle of it gets others involved in crptyo who don't have btc addresses, major kudos on that. But I don't think it will be beneficial for us to use it, unless I am wrong on what it does. I signed up and went through it and it is slightly confusing the accounts you have to link and things to do just to get it up and running, for a normal person they would be completely turned off to the idea most likely.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: