Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:37:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does the nature of time have an effect on the outcome of a roll?(example inside)  (Read 508 times)
pdiceuser (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 02:47:49 PM

Let's suppose I have 1 bitcoin and a time machine.  At exactly 1:00pm today, I place a single 1 btc bet on my favorite dice rolling site.

Now I hop into my time machine and go back to 1:00pm, but this time, instead of placing the 1 btc bet at exactly 1:00pm, I wait a few seconds and then bet.  Will the result be the same, or since some time has elapsed, will I get a different roll outcome?  If you want to use a more extreme example, let's suppose I wait 10 hours after 1:00pm before placing the roll.

Is this question even definitively answerable or am I in the same territory as asking whether a god or gods exist?

edmundduke
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:00:54 PM

On sites using the standard "Provably Fair" system there will be no difference when the roll is made.

On sites like Luckyb.it (and a few dice sites used to have it also) they use Time as a factor in determining the roll. In this case, yes the time matters.

So to make it simple. If the result generation process involves time then yes it would make a difference.
kuusj98

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

I <3 VW Beetles

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:01:14 PM

"Is this question even definitively answerable or am I in the same territory as asking whether a god or gods exist?"

You are here definantly in that area Tongue
I don't think there is a solid awnser for this, as far as i'm concerned.

But it is random, so my best bet is that the results will differ.
elephantas1

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:01:52 PM

Let's suppose I have 1 bitcoin and a time machine.  At exactly 1:00pm today, I place a single 1 btc bet on my favorite dice rolling site.

Now I hop into my time machine and go back to 1:00pm, but this time, instead of placing the 1 btc bet at exactly 1:00pm, I wait a few seconds and then bet.  Will the result be the same, or since some time has elapsed, will I get a different roll outcome?  If you want to use a more extreme example, let's suppose I wait 10 hours after 1:00pm before placing the roll.

Is this question even definitively answerable or am I in the same territory as asking whether a god or gods exist?
you would get different result because the roll would be made already, that would be second roll when you come back with time machine
edmundduke
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 03:04:57 PM

you would get different result because the roll would be made already, that would be second roll when you come back with time machine

No. That would mean someone else is playing also, on the same seed with the same secrets as the OP.
He might be playing alone for all we know, but it really doesnt matter as it would not change anything. Given all the verification parts, the result is the same (if time is not included). It does not change.

What we do find from this post tho, is that most people answering have no idea about how the provably fair system works.
Yuki1988

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 09:03:01 PM

On most of the provably fair gambling sites, bet results are generated by server seed, client seed and nonce. With those 3 things unchanged, the bet will have the exactly same result no matter you play it at 1 PM or 2 PM.

pdiceuser (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 23, 2014, 09:07:24 PM

Very interesting responses, thanks for the info.  I was merely curious and didn't expect to get any decent answers.

2dogs
Legendary

Activity: 1267
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 02:40:39 AM

Rolling one die is independent of rolling a second one.  One roll has no effect on the other.

http://statistics.about.com/od/ProbHelpandTutorials/a/Probabilities-Of-Rolling-Two-Dice.htm
Omikifuse
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 02:59:51 AM

On most of the provably fair gambling sites, bet results are generated by server seed, client seed and nonce. With those 3 things unchanged, the bet will have the exactly same result no matter you play it at 1 PM or 2 PM.

But i guess server seed changes from time to time, for any reason or another.

So bets made in different times, even if time is not used directly
Yuki1988

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 04:34:42 AM

But i guess server seed changes from time to time, for any reason or another.

So bets made in different times, even if time is not used directly

Server seed shouldn't be changed unless you choose to change it. If the server seed changes automatically as times goes by, the site can manipulate it and cheat.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: