Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:05:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ridiculously slow bitcoin core wallet sync  (Read 8511 times)
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 08:39:19 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2015, 03:23:12 PM by BookLover

You're correct in saying that RAID 0 is less safe than independent disks as you will lose the data on all disks rather than just one if one fails.  However, my previous statement is still true:
Depending on the RAID level used, a RAID array can be dramatically safer than independent disks.
For example RAID 1, which mirrors the data on the disks, is much safer than simply using independent disks.  RAID 5, 6, and 1+0 also incorporate various levels of redundancy, while independent disks do not.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
RD965

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 08:26:43 AM

You're correct in saying that RAID 0 is less safe than independant disks as you will lose the data on all disks rather than just one if one fails.  However, my previous statement is still true:
Depending on the RAID level used, a RAID array can be dramatically safer than independant disks.
For example RAID 1, which mirrors the data on the disks, is much safer than simply using independant disks.  RAID 5, 6, and 1+0 also incorporate various levels of redundancy, while independant disks do not.

I dont see the point on using any other than RAID0, because what you want is speed, otherwise what do you mean?
BookLover

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 03:22:23 PM

RAID arrays are not always used for speed.  They can be used for:
Quote from: Wikipedia
   To make the loss of data happen less often. This is done by having several copies of the data.
    To get more storage space by having many smaller disks.
    To get more flexibility (Disks can be changed or added while the system keeps running)
    To get the data more quickly.
So again, in response to:
Raid setups are always less safe!
I say:
Depending on the RAID level used a RAID array can be dramatically safer than independent disks.

RD965

View Profile
January 08, 2015, 05:17:22 PM

RAID arrays are not always used for speed.  They can be used for:
Quote from: Wikipedia
   To make the loss of data happen less often. This is done by having several copies of the data.
    To get more storage space by having many smaller disks.
    To get more flexibility (Disks can be changed or added while the system keeps running)
    To get the data more quickly.
So again, in response to:
Raid setups are always less safe!
I say:
Depending on the RAID level used a RAID array can be dramatically safer than independent disks.

Agree

Then you have the choice of speed vs reliability

In the "mirroring" mode, dont you lose space and speed? Whats the difference between having that and a backup hdd?
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 01:06:58 AM

Maybe a bit offtopic, but I don't know where to address this. What type of hard drive would be the best for storing the blockchain running as a full node? Will a SSD drive die sooner than a regular drive?

BookLover

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 02:56:07 AM

In the "mirroring" mode, dont you lose space and speed? Whats the difference between having that and a backup hdd?
Yes you lose space, but not speed.  I've read you may actually have a slight gain in reed speed, but that's irrelevant.  The difference is it's a mirror, not a backup, so if you delete something it is deleted from both hdd's.  However, you have the benifit of being able to replace a drive if it dies while still using the computer.  It will be slower while the RAID arrays rebuilds, but in a business the lack of downtime is important.

@RoadStress: I don't mean to ignore you, I just don't know the answer to your question.  I would love to see a seperate topic started on this.  So if you start one, please link to it in this thread or send me a pm.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2015, 08:51:56 AM

Ill stop following this thread, if anyone has any more questions regarding the threads topic, feel free to open a new thread.

Your "what is a raid level" discussion should have been removed, but apparently mods disagree about it beeing off topic.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
RD965

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 08:56:07 AM

Maybe a bit offtopic, but I don't know where to address this. What type of hard drive would be the best for storing the blockchain running as a full node? Will a SSD drive die sooner than a regular drive?

SSD drives are meant to be more durable than mechanical HDD's, the only disadvantage is obviously the $/GB, and since there is a faster access to the files (because SSD's use flash drive technology) It would be more suitable for any task

p.s. Cheers BookLover  Smiley
RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 12:29:48 PM
Last edit: January 09, 2015, 03:35:17 PM by RoadStress

Yes you lose space, but not speed.  I've read you may actually have a slight gain in reed speed, but that's irrelevant.  The difference is it's a mirror, not a backup, so if you delete something it is deleted from both hdd's.  However, you have the benifit of being able to replace a drive if it dies while still using the computer.  It will be slower while the RAID arrays rebuilds, but in a business the lack of downtime is important.

@RoadStress: I don't mean to ignore you, I just don't know the answer to your question.  I would love to see a seperate topic started on this.  So if you start one, please link to it in this thread or send me a pm.

Sure. Just name the appropriate sub-forum and I'll do it. Here on Technical Support?

Discuss the topic here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=918890.new#new

Thank you.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: