Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 06:03:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: deleting old blocks to save space  (Read 1631 times)
btc_enigma (OP)

Activity: 688
Merit: 567

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 07:58:41 PM

Hi,

I have a bitcoind instance running and I have a abe-blockexplorer type daemon that stores blocks/txs from bitcoind in local database.
So to save space I deleted old block files in bitcoind, old files of type blk*.dat, rev*.dat from .bitcoin

Now bitcoind is sometimes just exiting with the following error
2014-12-24 16:15:43 Added time data, samples 200, offset +0 (+0 minutes)
2014-12-24 16:15:48 Unable to open file /home/enigma/.bitcoin/blocks/blk00159.dat
2014-12-24 16:15:48 ERROR: ReadBlockFromDisk : OpenBlockFile failed

If I restart bitcoind it starts running again for a few blocks and is then again exiting . I did not touch the contents of .bitcoin/chainstate
Any thoughts on why this is happening ? My thinking is since I didnt touch chainstate, bitcoind should be still able to verify newer blocks

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 08:02:36 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2014, 08:10:30 PM by dserrano5

Some new peer joining the network may be asking to download old blocks from your node. When your node goes to fetch them from the disk, it finds that the blocks aren't there so it exits. Currently there is no option but to store the whole blockchain in disk—however in the near future we'll be able to tell Bitcoin Core "hey, don't use more than X Gb of disk space for storing blocks". You can do some searches on "pruning" to learn more about that.
btc_enigma (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 08:14:20 PM

Thanks you are right
I tried getblock on block number 100 and bitcoind exited
bitcoind getblock 000000007bc154e0fa7ea32218a72fe2c1bb9f86cf8c9ebf9a715ed27fdb229a

Why should  bitcoind exit in this case ? Can I  patch bitcoind so it that it just ignores this error and keeps running ?
Is there a penalty associated if the node doesn't relay old blocks ?

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8421

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2014, 08:18:03 PM

It is not quite so simple. You'll abuse your peers if you make them think you can serve them blocks but fail. If you erase too much you'll be unable to reorganize.   We plan on actually supporting this, in a sane organized manner probably in the next major version. (The fact that you were able to try that at all is a result of our work to facilitate that feature, prior to 0.8 there was no data you could just delete without making yourself unable to verify new blocks.)
btc_enigma (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2014, 09:13:21 PM

I am not sure if all nodes should store all the block data to support new nodes,  maybe a few altruistic nodes could do so. Already people are not running nodes by getting scared of the costs. Maybe give an option to only keep current block-k to support reorganization ?

Thank you , I know you devs are working on this,  its just very tempting to delete old blocks ! Looking forward to next major version

goosoodude

Activity: 584
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 10:51:00 AM

I am not sure if all nodes should store all the block data to support new nodes,  maybe a few altruistic nodes could do so. Already people are not running nodes by getting scared of the costs. Maybe give an option to only keep current block-k to support reorganization ?

Thank you , I know you devs are working on this,  its just very tempting to delete old blocks ! Looking forward to next major version

How can you be sure that the node is altruistic? The strength of Bitcoin lies in thoudsands of copies of the blockchain throughout the world verifying each transaction.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

btc_enigma (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 11:34:35 AM

How can you be sure that the node is altruistic? The strength of Bitcoin lies in thoudsands of copies of the blockchain throughout the world verifying each transaction.

Not storing older blocks is not in anyway reducing the strength of the network . Nodes could still store enough blocks to support forks / any reorganization needed to verify newer transactions. Blocks older than say 3 months need not be stored.

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8421

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 11:43:10 AM

Making it potentially infeasible or much more costly to introduce new nodes to the network would undermine security enormously, it's critical that this not be undermined. In any case, we've been working on this for _years_ uninformed navel gazing on bct isn't going to move it along.

None of you showed up to test the patch when we made a public call in the hopes of having an initial version in 0.10. Perhaps in the next version.
btc_enigma (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 04:42:19 PM

Just had a look at https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/4701 . Will try to test.

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 08:12:41 PM

I found no issues when I tried the pull request 4701, just for the record.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: