Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:05:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A country backed by [btc] instead of fiat ... that would be something ...  (Read 1612 times)
mewhoyou (OP)

Activity: 353
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 06:03:42 AM

maybe we should look for a banana republic and get them to back by BTC and we would invest to float the country ...

Would it work?? If it does, what does it mean and the future it would bring?

Ethereum the Next Big Thing?
Vessko

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 09:59:24 AM

The economy of such a country would crash faster than you can sneeze.

Just imagine. A government that cannot get out of debt by devaluing it, that cannot avoid paying it, and the cost of this debt keeps raising. You get Cyprus on steroids.

Bitcoin is suitable only as a free market currency. As in "freely chosen by the individual participants", when every market participant does his own economic calculation and decides for himself whether it is worthwhile to use Bitcoin as a currency or not. Any attempt to impose it on the economy with a government degree would result in a disaster worse than the imposition of an inflationary fiat currency.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 10:03:11 AM

indipendent small country, like the one created by one man, could have this easily i think
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 10:25:05 AM

A country would not accept it *simply* because they can't control the currency. What a country needs is a fiat paper which they can print when they want at certain conditions in order to manage and control the economy. Like for example, indicators in trade surplus, employment and such. Introducing bitcoin which they have no power to meddle with means it will not work.

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1049

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 10:26:56 AM

maybe we should look for a banana republic and get them to back by BTC and we would invest to float the country ...

I think, a lot of small countries, where tourism is the main business, will soon be open for cryptocurrencies.

ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 10:44:57 AM

A country would not accept it *simply* because they can't control the currency. What a country needs is a fiat paper which they can print when they want at certain conditions in order to manage and control the economy. Like for example, indicators in trade surplus, employment and such. Introducing bitcoin which they have no power to meddle with means it will not work.
I'm not sure if a country adopt bitcoin as the main currency will make a citizen prosperous, because being sued to understand about crypto and ect. And they economy will under control.

I think, a lot of small countries, where tourism is the main business, will soon be open for cryptocurrencies.

This is a good idea.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 12:22:55 PM

reminds me of

http://cointelegraph.com/news/112277/let-the-bit-drop-coinapult-sets-to-transform-a-caribbean-island-into-bitcoin-test-ground?utm_source=CoinTelegraph&utm_campaign=9d91eb7f30-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e86993e3e8-9d91eb7f30-192497013

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 12:57:49 PM

Imagine a small no name country with a $1 billion M1 switching over to BTC and then the price jumps to 100x over the course of a few years.

I ran for my water company's (our company was a co-op) board of directors back when BTC was worth under $10, one thing I was going to implement was accepting Bitcoin as payment (the only way to pay was to go to the water company office with cash or a check). Their annual budget was under $1 million. Imagine if they had gotten $10,000 worth of payments in Bitcoin that year. They would have doubled their budget just from those few payments.

Aside from price though, a country could be transparent with their spending and be assured that their money was going toward projects that they said they were going toward.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 01:37:10 PM

why would any government have bitcoin as main currency when they can't control it and can't create new fiat when needed. that's how governments work. that simply won't change.
TrailingComet

Activity: 462

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 01:42:43 PM

Indeed, I am waiting for that to happen. A country like Estonia is the likeliest first adopter...

coa032

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 01:49:53 PM

Well we can contact and give advice about Bitcoin to "government" of those "countries" Cheesy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_micronations
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 02:02:00 PM

Imagine a small no name country with a $1 billion M1 switching over to BTC and then the price jumps to 100x over the course of a few years.

I ran for my water company's (our company was a co-op) board of directors back when BTC was worth under $10, one thing I was going to implement was accepting Bitcoin as payment (the only way to pay was to go to the water company office with cash or a check). Their annual budget was under $1 million. Imagine if they had gotten $10,000 worth of payments in Bitcoin that year. They would have doubled their budget just from those few payments.

Aside from price though, a country could be transparent with their spending and be assured that their money was going toward projects that they said they were going toward.

That's the reason a country would never accept btc as legal tender. Governments don't want their subjects to know where the money is going.

mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 02:16:59 PM

well, if a country to make it a legal tender then BTC becomes a legal tender and therefore mention as a fiat currency. Ideas to bring this BTC to mainstream. Saw a documentary of a floating man made island for the rich and famous.

cyberpinoy

Activity: 1008
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 02:23:48 PM

If anyone could ever somehow get this plan to work you just secured a real demand for bitcins literally, and for once I could actually see bitcoins hitting astronomical numbers in value especially if that country has something special it exports. Within the first few months of this happening everyone involved in bitcoin would literally be rich.

Towlie

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 02:57:40 PM

The only way we'll know if it will ever work is if it happens. Maybe one country will adopt it as their defacto currency out of necessity if their economy collapses etc. It would be an interesting experiment for sure.
mewhoyou (OP)

View Profile
December 25, 2014, 04:20:02 PM

The only way we'll know if it will ever work is if it happens. Maybe one country will adopt it as their defacto currency out of necessity if their economy collapses etc. It would be an interesting experiment for sure.

RuSSiA would be a good bet Cheesy

botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 05:14:46 PM

We would need Bitcoin to attain some stability in terms of purchasing power before anything like this can be attempted.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 06:03:20 PM

The economy of such a country would crash faster than you can sneeze.

Just imagine. A government that cannot get out of debt by devaluing it, that cannot avoid paying it, and the cost of this debt keeps raising. You get Cyprus on steroids.

Bitcoin is suitable only as a free market currency. As in "freely chosen by the individual participants", when every market participant does his own economic calculation and decides for himself whether it is worthwhile to use Bitcoin as a currency or not. Any attempt to impose it on the economy with a government degree would result in a disaster worse than the imposition of an inflationary fiat currency.

If you know you cant devalvate you would start handling your income more wisely. Now so many governments dont, and their debt just go up, with sole reason to stay governing.
Who thinks that Bitcoin cant be used as main currency, just dont see the main value of Bitcoin. Bitcoin will take power away from those that so far print money. It will change world.
JessicaSe
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 06:24:53 PM

i don't think any country will accept bitcoin as their official currency untill it gets price stability
right now it seems like a commodity or investment opportunity
it need to be stable to see more growth
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 09:50:16 PM

they could issue their own digital money pegged to bitcoin with sidechains for example. maybe in 10-20 years  Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: