Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:00:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [REVIEW] Spondoolies-Tech's SP20 - TECSHARE  (Read 1495 times)
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2014, 06:54:32 PM
Last edit: December 25, 2014, 09:24:25 PM by TECSHARE

When I initially requested to participate in this process, I had read an erroneous post stating that the SP20 included a power supply unit, so I falsely assumed it would be ready to go out of the box. As a result I had to wait for a PSU to be delivered to complete my review of this unit. Needless to say during the holidays it took a bit longer. I apologize profusely for the delay in writing this review and hope Spondoolies-Tech is ok with me continuing to use this unit regardless of this delay, because it really is a fine product I am excited to continue to use. They were kind enough to send it to me free of charge in exchange for writing my review of the product. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=887807.0;all

I gave up on Bitcoin mining shortly after I received ROI on my BFL Jalapeno miners because the constant crashes, babysitting, and the setup was such a pain. I have little patience for such things, and I was amazed with how streamlined the setup process was for this unit. The only suggestion I might make is to include a pin diagram and a pre-made jumper with the unit so that non-experts can jump the power cable to make it constantly be in the on state. This would be an inexpensive way to remove the conditioning most people rightfully have to sticking metal pins into power cables. Not that jumping the power cable was hard, just something that made me uneasy, fearing I might brick the unit by miscounting pins or something similar, also the subconscious fear of being shocked.

Subconscious aside, I really like this device. It is extremely well constructed, solid, has a fairly small profile for such a large hashrate, and most importantly, I DON'T HAVE TO BABYSIT IT! Spondoolies-Tech is setting the bar higher for ASIC mining hardware.

Shipping: Arrived in 5 days from Israel. Amazingly fast shipping. the shipping container is extremely well constructed with a heavy honeycomb cardboard inserts to absorb impacts. You could throw the box off of a 3 story building and it would probably be fine (please don't try this, that would be an abuse of such fine hardware).

Setup:This is the best part. I have never had a miner that was this simple to set up. Spondoolies-Tech has set a new standard for ASIC miners.

1: Remove from box

2: Connect unit to your PSU. I used this PSU because it was on sale and included all of the needed cables
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COIZTZM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3: Jump the pins in the cable that you connect to the 24 pin motherboard connection. A paperclip or rigid wire works. It is just a ground so I believe there is not heavy current flowing thru the jumper, so the gauge of the wire should not be an issue

Note: use the diagram on the left to tell you which pins to jump

4. Attach your PSU to your SP20, and plug the SP20 into your router, or I believe you can also use a USB cable to connect your device to a internet enabled machine. Don't forget to plug the newly jumped cable into your PSU as well.

5. Plug in the main power cable, and flip the switch on your PSU.

6. Visit myminer.io . You may need to mess with some security settings depending on the software you use to allow the device local access.

7. Put in your pool details under the pools tab, and click save - THATS IT! ( I know I was shocked too)

Summary:In a 10 point system from 1-10, 1 being the worst and 10 being perfection, I would rate Spondoolies-Tech SP20 as a solid 9/10. The ease of use and setup is amazing. It arrived very fast and was packed well. Although I was sent the unit free of charge, I find the current price point of around $700 to be quite reasonable considering how much work they did developing the system to a point that someone with almost no technical knowledge could set it up with ease. The only con I can think of (other than not being a fan of sticking paperclips in power supply units), is the amount of noise the fan makes. I know this has said before ad nauseam, but frankly I think it is a matter of a complete lack of other complaints to be made about this unit. While I wouldn't put this unit in my bedroom, its not so loud that it is an annoyance in another room. I would compare it to the decibel level of a small hairdryer. It is really not that loud considering how much air it is moving through it, and I would rather deal with a little noise than have it overheat and burn my house down. I am honored to be one of the few to be granted a SP20 to review by Spondoolies-Tech, and I would like to thank them for the opportunity to use their fine product. It has renewed my interest in mining again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: