Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:44:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When are Sidechains going Live? And the Fork ... ?  (Read 3172 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 08:03:47 PM

Aren't side chains going to need their own infrastructure for processing transactions?

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
readerbtc

Activity: 54
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 11:37:25 PM

I think the world is not ready for sidechains yet, most people still didn't even understand bitcoin itself. No fork is currently proposed because there's a lot to do making bitcoin user-friendly and more used.

The reference client is not ment to be user friendly. Remember, this is a protocol, not a mom and pop application. It is being developed for developers in my point of view.
I am not talking about the reference client.
Or any client.
Or any piece of software.
I am talking about the whole idea of bitcoin and protocol, it needs to be improved/polish in ways that facilitate understanding and adoption, and sidechains are the opposite of that.
readerbtc

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 11:38:48 PM

Aren't side chains going to need their own infrastructure for processing transactions?
Aren't side chains literally a infrastructure for processing transactions?
Luke-Jr
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 11:56:32 PM

I think the world is not ready for sidechains yet, most people still didn't even understand bitcoin itself. No fork is currently proposed because there's a lot to do making bitcoin user-friendly and more used.

The reference client is not ment to be user friendly. Remember, this is a protocol, not a mom and pop application. It is being developed for developers in my point of view.
I am not talking about the reference client.
Or any client.
Or any piece of software.
I am talking about the whole idea of bitcoin and protocol, it needs to be improved/polish in ways that facilitate understanding and adoption, and sidechains are the opposite of that.
Most people will never understand the protocol. Nor do they need to, in order to use/adopt Bitcoin.
Sidechains are practically necessary to make most other changes.

readerbtc

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 11:58:26 PM

Most people will never understand the protocol. Nor do they need to, in order to use/adopt Bitcoin.
Sure.

But for now, more people understanding and using bitcoin is more important.
dasource

Activity: 821
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 01:32:11 PM

Sure.

These things need to happen in parallel and Bitcoin core needs to continue to evolve (Sidechains being part of that as it opens many over avenues) ...
We all need to play our part; if you have something to offer then reach out.

Bitcoin is still very young; give it another few years and the landscape will be different.

^ I am with STUPID!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 01:37:55 PM

I don't understand why this has all been announced (with fundraising) without even a proof of concept? So far it's just academics. Can't there just be an example of a two-way peg with existing test coin forks? For example: between a forked bitcoin testnet and a forked litecoin testnet?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
JackH

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 11:08:52 PM

Sure.

People dont care how things work, as long as they work. Nobody has time to specialize in each and every field the world has to offer. Heck, people in general dont specialize in anything anyway. The payment industry, and the Bitcoin industry is what is going to bring Bitcoin to the masses, not the other way around. Bitcoin should not be more than "yet another number on my screen" for the avarage user. Just forget the silly dream of teaching everyone about it.

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao
readerbtc

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:55:38 AM

That's not what I'm saying.
btc_enigma

Activity: 688
Merit: 567

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 01:24:10 PM

I don't understand why this has all been announced (with fundraising) without even a proof of concept? So far it's just academics. Can't there just be an example of a two-way peg with existing test coin forks? For example: between a forked bitcoin testnet and a forked litecoin testnet?

I agree with this, I read the whitepaper on sidechains and it looks interesting. If someone can start a prototype running on a testnet people can start contributing

adam3us
expert

Activity: 404
Merit: 360

in bitcoin we trust

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 12:04:52 AM

We're working on it.  Some test stuff running internally.  Watch this space.

Adam

hashcash, committed transactions, homomorphic values, blind kdf; researching decentralization, scalability and fungibility/anonymity
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: