Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:44:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PoS Earnings Question  (Read 633 times)
loszhor (OP)

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 08:42:56 AM

I have been dabbling with PoS for a while now and I have one noobish question to ask: Does the percent a year merely represent the amount you will get every time you stake or does the wallet have the ability to make sure you never stake more than the percent a year advertised. Note, this is a general question and not directed at any one coin in particular.

An example being that say I have a 1,000,000 coins of x currency and the percent a year is 5. Regardless of the stake age, if I leave the wallet alone and stake as normal, difficulty willing, I will only be able to receive approximately 5 percent of what I have, in this case 50,000, by year's end. As in, it's in the wallet code to make sure I will not be able to cross the 5 percent of my total staked savings? Or is the percent a year merely the amount that will be awarded to me for each staked block? Such as, your stake reward will be in the amount of 5 percent a year of the coins the staked block contained and is not the maximum a year that can be earned. So if I am staking a coin that is not being widely staked at the moment or is relatively new I could reasonably surpass the 5 percent a year staking?

Thank you in advance.

16wQCVFXYuSp4AYsBqV9Uqa2dd1V4YXvJ5
Bombadil

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 08:50:34 PM

I have been dabbling with PoS for a while now and I have one noobish question to ask: Does the percent a year merely represent the amount you will get every time you stake or does the wallet have the ability to make sure you never stake more than the percent a year advertised. Note, this is a general question and not directed at any one coin in particular.

An example being that say I have a 1,000,000 coins of x currency and the percent a year is 5. Regardless of the stake age, if I leave the wallet alone and stake as normal, difficulty willing, I will only be able to receive approximately 5 percent of what I have, in this case 50,000, by year's end. As in, it's in the wallet code to make sure I will not be able to cross the 5 percent of my total staked savings? Or is the percent a year merely the amount that will be awarded to me for each staked block? Such as, your stake reward will be in the amount of 5 percent a year of the coins the staked block contained and is not the maximum a year that can be earned. So if I am staking a coin that is not being widely staked at the moment or is relatively new I could reasonably surpass the 5 percent a year staking?

Thank you in advance.

The annual PoS interest is always without a compounding effect. So it can be a lot more if you don't remove your PoS rewards from your wallet after staking.
And even this is a guesstimate, there are many other variables that can increase/decrease that percentage. For example, Magicoin has a higher % when the net weight is higher.
I don't know of any coins that have a built-in hard limit, but there's no need of that with a proper PoS implementation ^^
Bitarama

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 12:17:32 AM

This might help as well
http://agroff.github.io/posv/

loszhor (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 08:35:44 AM

This might help as well
http://agroff.github.io/posv/

Thank you for the information. That was indeed a very useful link.

loszhor (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:05:05 AM

Thank you in advance.

The annual PoS interest is always without a compounding effect. So it can be a lot more if you don't remove your PoS rewards from your wallet after staking.
And even this is a guesstimate, there are many other variables that can increase/decrease that percentage. For example, Magicoin has a higher % when the net weight is higher.
I don't know of any coins that have a built-in hard limit, but there's no need of that with a proper PoS implementation ^^

My thinking process was, is maintaining a certain network weight similar to having mining equipment of a certain speed? Depending on how much you invest and on what coin you can "mine" more if you are willing to maintain a certain weight (or hashrate in my) the APY would be the block reward. So I was wondering if the interest was fixed or the expected reward per stake.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: