Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 07:43:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of stake mining of bicoin  (Read 25625 times)
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:16:48 PM

So you are ok with DPOS and Etheruem?

I like competition and the free proliferation of ideas so why wouldn't I be ok with them?

As long as people openly and honestly discuss these ideas and use these tools without misrepresentations
or by positing assumptions as facts than there is no problem with them co-existing and flourishing.

Anyway, every new days brings more and more PoS coins.

Wouldn't that be expected being that PoS has a very suitable security model for new coins without many participants.
Expect many more variations of PoS to pop into existence, with most of them being pump and dump schemes with little
technical innovation or development talent ....*ahem* paycoin2

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:19:27 PM

As long as people openly and honestly discuss these ideas and use these tools without misrepresentations
or by positing assumptions as facts than there is no problem with them co-existing and flourishing.

No need to insult cbeast, he is a legendary donator.  Cheesy
siameze
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:24:14 PM

... it wasn't
just some dudes high on a hill somewhere declaring
they invented a currency and saying everyone should
go use it. 

This sounds like the majority of alt and clone coins nowadays. As long as you have a fancy name and slick graphics (and a lemming-esque userbase) you are golden.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:28:37 PM

This sounds like the majority of alt and clone coins nowadays. As long as you have a fancy name and slick graphics (and a lemming-esque userbase) you are golden.

One of several great things about 100% PoW is that it isn't ideal as a scam/ponzi/P&D coin because distribution is open to anyone doing the work, is expensive and any weak PoW currencies who don't capture the interest of the public with true innovation quickly get attacked because they don't have the mining hashrate to sustain against an aggressor.

You can easily spot a scammy PoW coin by it having a extremely sharp rather than gradual distribution curve - I.E... Quark.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:49:23 PM

One of several great things about 100% PoW is that it isn't ideal as a scam/ponzi/P&D coin because distribution is open to anyone doing the work, is expensive and any weak PoW currencies who don't capture the interest of the public with true innovation quickly get attacked because they don't have the mining hashrate to sustain against an aggressor.

You can easily spot a scammy PoW coin by it having a extremely sharp rather than gradual distribution curve - I.E... Quark.
Right. And by the same token PoS absolutely require fancy names like Monero, Ethereum, and Peercoin, and heavy marketing to succeed. Marketing a PoW like Doge gets notoriety, but the notion of actual work kills the romance. Ultimately, future PoS coins will be premined (or pre minted, or pre birthed or whatever) by whatever corporations can afford the best advertising.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:06:04 PM

When Satoshi finished writing bitcoin and created the genesis block he created a legacy that grows with each miner added. Whomever creates a really cool PoS will have his code cloned and issued by someone with no interest in the coder. That coder will be forgotten because there is no hardware binding users to the genesis block. Why are VCs dumping so much money into work that will be stolen and changed to someone else's advantage?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Shuai

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:23:25 PM

You haven't heard? Ethereum is going to be PoW. BitShares is DPoS , not PoS. Nxt is slowly dying and losing place to PoW and Debt based currencies.

There is no fundamental difference between DPoS and PoS.

Regarding Ethereum, here is the latest news - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPsCGvXyrP4. It says that Ethereum will be PoS.

DPOS makes the blockchain a lot more like a company than the wild west free-for-all of mining/forging that PoW/PoS entails. Block producers are not determined by the stake they own, they're determined by their reputation and trustworthiness in the community, and what they can offer in return for their block production (development, marketing, etc.). Like a mix between NXT and ripple if ripple labs was decentralized and run on the blockchain.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:31:19 PM

You haven't heard? Ethereum is going to be PoW. BitShares is DPoS , not PoS. Nxt is slowly dying and losing place to PoW and Debt based currencies.

Regarding Ethereum, here is the latest news - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPsCGvXyrP4. It says that Ethereum will be PoS.

DPOS makes the blockchain a lot more like a company than the wild west free-for-all of mining/forging that PoW/PoS entails. Block producers are not determined by the stake they own, they're determined by their reputation and trustworthiness in the community, and what they can offer in return for their block production (development, marketing, etc.). Like a mix between NXT and ripple if ripple labs was decentralized and run on the blockchain.

DPOS has no justification to make that claim. DPOS sells votes to the highest bidder. In politics that's called FASCISM. Unless you have a way to positively identify your voter registration, you will never have a fair election.

Tobo

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:36:36 PM

DPOS and Nxt are two variations of PoS. The D in DPoS is a similar idea to the Economic Clusters in Nxt but different in implementation.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:40:50 PM

I would summarize things as follows:

Given the same distribution (issuance),
the energy cost is going to be same no matter what
scheme you use, but PoW is the simplest, most
proven, and arguably the most fair.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:49:53 PM

I've seen you mention that before but can't quite wrap my head around the notion that PoS will use a lot of energy. Can you give a scenario?

Shuai

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:52:59 PM

DPOS has no justification to make that claim. DPOS sells votes to the highest bidder. In politics that's called FASCISM. Unless you have a way to positively identify your voter registration, you will never have a fair election.

Bitshares shareholder voting system is no different than the system used in every single public or private company in the world. Are you saying the system of joint-stock companies are "fascism"? Nice attempt at FUD, though, gotta have to give you a 2/5.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:53:35 PM

I've seen you mention that before but can't quite wrap my head around the notion that PoS will use a lot of energy. Can you give a scenario?

It's explained in this article: http://www.truthcoin.info/blog/pow-and-mining/

It depends on implementation of the coin, but something like making
alternate chains or addresses...spending CPU power to compete for
the rewards until its no longer profitable to keep doing so.

Shuai

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:57:24 PM

This is completely clueless. A simple block production bond system makes it unprofitable to ever attempt to produce blocks on more than one chain at a time. This is actually yet another permutation of the naive nothing at stake "problem" that has been solved ages ago by DPOS.

It's quite amazing that people are so emotionally invested in proof of waste that they continue to cling on to these non-issues in desperation.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 05:02:31 PM

OK, I get that.

This is completely clueless. A simple block production bond system makes it unprofitable to ever attempt to produce blocks on more than one chain at a time. This is actually yet another permutation of the naive nothing at stake "problem" that has been solved ages ago by DPOS.

It's quite amazing that people are so emotionally invested in proof of waste that they continue to cling on to these non-issues in desperation.
Yeah, um VMs would do the trick. Also it appears your solution is to increase energy requirements anyway.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 05:08:18 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2014, 05:49:16 PM by jonald_fyookball

I'll refer to the article again:

switching the payout-trigger to a social or political dimension (as in Delegated-PoS) would merely transpose the work-expenditures correspondingly to the realms of bribery and propaganda, which Bitshares has already seen.

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=6096.45

The bottom line is:  if there is money to be made,
people will do whatever is possible to compete for it.
You really can't stop competition and people trying
to game the system in some way.  

To put it more concretely with DPOS:  If Bitshares
really took off and was generating a million dollars
worth of rewards everyday like Bitcoin does now,
don't you think people would be trying to become
delegates?  Don't you think certain motivated
people or groups would try to get 5, 10, 25, 50,
or more of the delegate slots?

What would stop them from investing money to
do so, given that the payouts would be enormous?

Furthermore, why wouldn't a delegate re-invest
his profits into trying to acquire more delegate spots?

On a side note: Security deposits may solve an aspect of the "nothing at
stake" issue, but they do not stop competition.

AllTheBitz

Activity: 226

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 05:13:52 PM

Alt coins seem to become more and more trashy.

▓▓▓▓   New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange            → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓   Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 05:30:59 PM

POS=no production cost=no value

If I can produce a coin without any cost, why should I pay any thing valuable to exchange it??? I will just go ahead to mine it

Fiat money can do this because there is a law to force its circulation, and the cost to make that law can be a war, which costs millions of times more energy than POW mining

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=848881.0

Point 7

Quoting a FUD thread won't win any credibility.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 05:38:27 PM

It seems to me that (unlike PoS) PoW must be a ponzi scheme or ever-inflating, otherwise it will be unsustainable.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 05:41:56 PM

In politics that's called FASCISM.

Boys and girls, don't argue with this guy, you will simple waste your time. I quoted yet another example (among 1000s) when he creates strawmen and then successfully attacks them.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: