Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:28:15 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of stake mining of bicoin  (Read 25629 times)
Tobo

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 12:52:38 PM

Instead of
Code:
Dollars -> Mining rig -> Cryptocoins
PoS offers
Code:
Dollars -> Cryptocoins

Obviously this part is too technical to some people here though it tells a simple truth.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:02:10 PM

Instead of
Code:
PoS offers
Code:
Dollars -> Cryptocoins

Obviously this part is too technical to some people here though it tells a simple truth.
Logic flow:
Dollars -> aerospace engineering research -> intergalactic travel
therefor dollars -> intergalactic travel
who needs rocket scientists, right?  Roll Eyes

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:07:20 PM

Bitcoin is very hard to upgrade but you can hold bitcoin on a DPOS (delegated proof of stake) chain on BitShares as bitBTC and earn interest.  So individuals can choose to upgrade but the network itself can't.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:18:12 PM

i was wandering in the future can bitcoin switch to proof of stake?

This is an obvious troll thread that belongs in alt coins. Bitcoin has never considered any other design. Please move this thread.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 01:20:41 PM

This is an obvious troll thread that belongs in alt coins. Bitcoin has never considered any other design. Please move this thread.

Who is this bitcoin you speak of and when can we get an official statement?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Prohibited_changes

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:10:16 PM

Logic flow:
Dollars -> aerospace engineering research -> intergalactic travel
who needs rocket scientists, right?  Roll Eyes

I like your sense of humor. Your claim about the logic flaw is logically flawed. But mistyping "o" instead of "a" you made it double-twisted.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:12:48 PM

Bitcoin has never considered any other design.

If this was true then it would mean that Bitcoin is centralized. Whom do you refer to by calling them "Bitcoin"?
BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:20:57 PM

This is like saying Kodak was never considered to move to digital cameras. If bitcoin don't evolve it will get outdated.

I can't believe how bitcoiners blame so hard people not willing to evolve and move to bitcoin, but at the same time they hate so much other innovations that could provide better service.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:26:42 PM

This is like saying Kodak was never considered to move to digital cameras. If bitcoin don't evolve it will get outdated.

I can't believe how bitcoiners blame so hard people not willing to evolve and move to bitcoin, but at the same time they hate so much other innovations that could provide better service.

True.

From what I hear though, there has been quite a bit of discussion about
Proof of Stake among the core developers...its not like they are ignoring
the issue...Its just that so far, they don't see that it will make Bitcoin
more secure.

Tobo

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:44:56 PM

Instead of
Code:
PoS offers
Code:
Dollars -> Cryptocoins

Logic flow:
Dollars -> aerospace engineering research Mining rig -> intergalactic travel
who needs rocket scientists Mining rig, right?  Roll Eyes

fify.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 02:57:02 PM

There is nothing stopping you from making a hard fork. This isn't even a dispute. I don't know why the wiki says such nonsense. Good luck getting miners to switch to your fork.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 03:02:40 PM

There is nothing stopping you from making a hard fork. This isn't even a dispute. I don't know why the wiki says such nonsense. Good luck getting miners to switch to your fork.

Non Sequitur. Pointing out that your statement is delusional and a defensive act of Repression has nothing to do with how I feel about PoS or if it is likely Bitcoin will switch consensus mechanisms.

There are plenty of developers who have considered other designs and are still considering other designs for bitcoin. This is a simple fact. I understand you will not call such a hardfork bitcoin, but you must acknowledge you are not bitcoin.

p.s..... Don't read into my statements either as I am not advocating for such a fork.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 03:23:04 PM

Non Sequitur. Pointing out that your statement is delusional and a defensive act of Repression has nothing to do with how I feel about PoS or if it is likely Bitcoin will switch consensus mechanisms.

There are plenty of developers who have considered other designs and are still considering other designs for bitcoin. This is a simple fact. I understand you will not call such a hardfork bitcoin, but you must acknowledge you are not bitcoin.

p.s..... Don't read into my statements either as I am not advocating for such a fork.
Bitcoin cannot change to PoS. It is impossible. Why don't you understand? Bitcoin is the collective of users. Is that concept too difficult for you? Your "official statement" is a strawman.

inBitweTrust

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 03:30:39 PM

Bitcoin cannot change to PoS. It is impossible. Why don't you understand? Bitcoin is the collective of users. Is that concept too difficult for you? Your "official statement" is a strawman.

I do not represent bitcoin but am just one user of the protocol so cannot give an "official statement" and never suggested as much.

So you are suggesting that if a majority of the developers and community decides to do a hardfork from PoW to PoS this wouldn't be called "bitcoin" because you don't agree?

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 03:31:38 PM

The wiki says adding Proof of Stake elements to the Proof of Work would be a disputed change...because it is.  Why is that nonsense?

inBitweTrust

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 03:34:31 PM

The wiki says adding Proof of Stake elements to the Proof of Work would be a disputed change...because it is.  Why is that nonsense?

Exactly. The fact that we are discussing the possibility of it here is proof that it is disputed possibility. Bitcoin is an open source protocol and will be changed to whatever the users want it to be changed.

I suppose it is more of an inherent question of what defines "bitcoin" and some purists believe that we can never stray from Satoshi's original consensus mechanism, while other purists say we must see the forest for the trees and define bitcoin as the currency which follows Satoshi's original philosophy and if another algo accomplishes that than this is also acceptable.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 03:39:28 PM

Claiming something and doing something are two different things. Apparently this is the wiki author's opinion. That doesn't make it so. If someone wants to do it then they should go ahead and do it. Unless what you mean is that begging everyone to follow you is a bad idea. The begging part is in dispute.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 03:43:15 PM

Claiming something and doing something are two different things. Apparently this is the wiki author's opinion. That doesn't make it so. If someone wants to do it then they should go ahead and do it. Unless what you mean is that begging everyone to follow you is a bad idea. The begging part is in dispute.

Ok fair enough, but then by the same token, we can also say that the assertion "it is nonsense" is simply your opinion too.  Agree?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 03:44:54 PM

Ok fair enough, but then by the same token, we can also say that the assertion "it is nonsense" is simply your opinion too.  Agree?
Technically rejecting an unsubstantiated argument doesn't require evidence.

BTCXE

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 03:45:14 PM

sorry if this has been mentioned in this thread in the past, but how would PoS actually work ? Wouldnt that benefit existing holders of bitcoin ?

BTCXE.com  - The simple bitcoin converter
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: