Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:17:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ATI drivers have stopped responding and have successfully restarted  (Read 488 times)
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 01:42:01 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2014, 02:14:45 PM by Lethn

I'm pretty sure when I can get the money I am going to migrate to Nvidia graphics cards only because I am sick to death of the problems ATI cards cause.

Hope you don't mind guys, I'm here to ask for help again, pretty sure once this issue is fixed though everything should work fine, my computer is running as normal now but when I try to play games and even occasionally when i tried watching a youtube video I got a BSOD, on games I regularly get an artifact of vertical lines or a black screen, with the vertical lines the games just crash and I can exit out of task manager but if I get the classic "ATI drivers have stopped responding" message in the taskbar.

I've been running checks on things like GPU temperature and so on, fans are all running correctly and I got dust out but I still get quite high GPU temperature spikes, going to see if I can think of things to do to get it working again because I'm pretty sure I came across this issue before, I have tried using device manager to get things working and also installed earlier drivers but no luck yet.

woops before I forget the important thing.

Graphics Card: MSI Lightning 6970

I should also note if anybody knows about LED light codes that would help me a lot! right now I'm getting 4 red leds and I took a look at the smaller writing and they are just numbered LED 1 - 14, 14, 13, 12, 11 are all red and the rest are green, I'm pretty sure I've had this problem before so it should be fixable.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 04:06:53 PM
Last edit: December 26, 2014, 05:06:49 PM by Lethn

Think I've already given up to be honest, I've seen these kind of symptoms before and it's usually the sign of a dead graphics card when it starts putting weird shit all over the screen with games, ah well at least I have an excuse to get a new one now Tongue

Edit: I have just discovered that I am actually a year within the warranty on this thing! So I should be able to return it because we have it all on record and have the order number too! hurray!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 05:25:54 PM

Well actually the drivers on Nvidia side aren't better at all if you ask me (sometimes they tend to be). Some people just have bad luck with these things. It could be a fault in the GPU itself, a fault in connections and so on.
If fully cleaning out and re installing drivers doesn't work, then it probably isn't a software issue. I'm running 2 cards in Crossfire made by Asus. I haven't had almost any issues so far with them.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
December 26, 2014, 05:30:18 PM

Think I've already given up to be honest, I've seen these kind of symptoms before and it's usually the sign of a dead graphics card when it starts putting weird shit all over the screen with games, ah well at least I have an excuse to get a new one now Tongue

Edit: I have just discovered that I am actually a year within the warranty on this thing! So I should be able to return it because we have it all on record and have the order number too! hurray!

Considering you've done the usual (updating all kind of drivers and whatnot) and considering the GPU temps are fine during load, I guess a chipset is damaged.
I have a HD7xxx series card and it works flawless. I've had an Nvidia in the past and had to return it. So I guess its luck.
Lethn (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2014, 06:34:07 PM

Well we're within the warranty and we have records of the purchase in their system ( Order number and such ) so it shouldn't be too much of an issue to return it, I've just never done this before because I never had anything expensive enough to need a warranty lol Tongue good thing I purchased MSI because their warranty is 3 years! In regards to the luck thing, it's clearly not an unusual problem because there are all sorts of posts about it and people just seem to think it means the card is defective, oh well, if it is that means I get another brand new card for free for another few years lol Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: