Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:40:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hashing everyone's desktop screen and insert the hash in the blockchain  (Read 1490 times)
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1119
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 06:03:48 AM

Here is an idea.
A p2p app that would be hashing all the time anything that shows on your desktop screen.
It would be hashing everything multimedia that happens on your computer and broadcast it to all others.
A hash of all computers multimedia activity would then be inserted in the bitcoin blockchain.
This could even be a feature of Bitcoin-QT client that would be a great incentive for people to have it always running on the background.
There would be no way of verifying it all but we would have some kind of trust that these hashes introduced in the blockchain represented some kind of quantum state of Reality.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
BitMiningInvestments

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 07:16:54 AM

It won't scale at all, but what would be the point anyway?
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 07:39:16 AM

Maybe one day it would be found interesting in terms of quantum computing.
For instance, if parallel universes exist, each blockchain in each parallel universe would be different.
You could then use a hash of the blockchain, add a fingerprint of yours, and pick the lottery numbers based on it.
You would have much more chances of winning the lottery since you would be playing with different numbers on an infinitude of parallel universes.
Just thinking... But above all because we could one day find it useful to have a quantum state representation of Reality embedded in the blockchain. If this proves to be of any use in a distant future the sooner we start doing then... the better, I guess.

Maybe CPU manufacturers could play their role here...

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
BitMiningInvestments

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 07:42:11 AM

http://www.quickmeme.com/img/9c/9cef026a76001d51130a066e7d6ca0419232dd8b72514d5711013f6996e5c5de.jpg
paradoxal420

Activity: 229
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 07:43:14 AM

Maybe one day it would be found interesting in terms of quantum computing.
For instance, if parallel universes exist, each blockchain in each parallel universe would be different.
You could then use a hash of the blockchain, add a fingerprint of yours, and pick the lottery numbers based on it.
You would have much more chances of winning the lottery since you would be playing with different numbers on an infinitude of parallel universes.
Just thinking... But above all because we could one day find it useful to have a quantum state representation of Reality embedded in the blockchain. If this proves to be of any use in a distant future the sooner we start doing then... the better, I guess.

Maybe CPU manufacturers could play their role here...

On a scale of 1-10 how high are you?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience - PRIMEDICE 3 HAS LAUNCHED @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
H.W.Z

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 07:50:38 AM

If that happened, the size of blockchain would be significant!

remotemass (OP)
Legendary

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 07:59:35 AM

The size? What do you mean?

sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 08:01:08 AM

Sacrcasm.. Blockchain rules the universe
BTCevo
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 08:12:57 AM

The size? What do you mean?

I think this guy is attempting to troll us Roll Eyes Hero member and doesn't know what is ment by "size" of the blockchain.
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 08:19:36 AM

I just didn't understand what was meant as inserting a hash of everyones's computers activity periodically doesn't add much at all to the size of the blockchain. Almost zero change to the size.

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 08:55:52 AM

I placed this idea into /dev/null for later review.

Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 09:21:56 AM

Here is an idea.
A p2p app that would be hashing all the time anything that shows on your desktop screen.
It would be hashing everything multimedia that happens on your computer and broadcast it to all others.

Are we taking privacy seriously over here? What if I happen to log in to my bank account and it's capturing every single details on the screen?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 09:36:03 AM

-snip-
Are we taking privacy seriously over here? What if I happen to log in to my bank account and it's capturing every single details on the screen?

Its just hashes. While this was my first though, its not an issue as long as the hashing function used is not broken. It might be broken some time in the funture but even then the information of the hash is not enough to reverse it to a full picture. E.g. 1024*768*16 bit = 12MiB, while SHA512 would only give you 512 bits of information. There is no chance to reverse the process to a full picture, too much information is lost.

This is also the reason why this is no "quantum state" of anything, but just a very large collection of hashes that serve no purpose other than bloating up the blockchain. This might be used as rainbow table, but I doubt even thats possible.

I just didn't understand what was meant as inserting a hash of everyones's computers activity periodically doesn't add much at all to the size of the blockchain. Almost zero change to the size.

I have no idea what your idea of "almost zero change to the size" and "periodically" is, but lets assume:
- once a day
- only a screenshot, no other data
- MD2 (128 bit)
- 10,000 paricipants

Thats 128*10,000 = 1250KiB daily of information. You are basically removing littel more than a full bitcoin block each day, for every 10k screenshots with a 128 bit hash.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 10:58:01 AM

Assuming that the hash of all hashes was different in parallel universes, you could use it to differentiate between them. That's what I mean by "quantum state".

You would hash all the hashes, so this wouldn't be bloating the blockchain.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 01:33:12 PM

If I ran a Matrix Screen saver how would that affect the state of the other parallel universes (or even our own)?
remotemass (OP)
Legendary

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 02:41:28 PM

If I ran a Matrix Screen saver how would that affect the state of the other parallel universes (or even our own)?

As I said, the hash of the blockchain would be different in each parallel universe, and you could use that hash to pick the lottery numbers. If the lottery numbers drawn were the same in every parallel universe you would be having more chances in winning in one of them because the numbers you would pick would be different in every world.
The catch is that the lottery numbers drawn would probably be also different in different worlds.
But we could have a lottery were the numbers are drawn in advance and kept secret so that they will be the same in all worlds as the extraction would be previous to the numbers pick.

The idea of having a RDG that will produce different results in different worlds seems interesting and may prove useful one day in terms of quantum computing.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 02:45:49 PM

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:34:17 PM

OP,

I don't get it.

What would be accomplished with your proposal
of inserting these (for-all-intents-and-purposes) RANDOM
hashes into the blockchain?

remotemass (OP)
Legendary

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2014, 05:30:53 PM

OP,

I don't get it.

Even the best random generators have deterministic limitations.
I reckon this would be a better source of randomness if you were trying to get a different result in as many parallel universes as possible.
My intuition tells me that this might also ultimately prove to be useful in terms of things like quantum computing.

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 05:42:11 PM

OP,

I don't get it.

Even the best random generators have deterministic limitations.
I reckon this would be a better source of randomness if you were trying to get a different result in as many parallel universes as possible.
My intuition tells me that this might also ultimately prove to be useful in terms of things like quantum computing.

Randomness for what?  Better than what?

Why do you need to put it in the block chain?

What's a "parrallel universe" (beyond a theoretical concept), or are you just trolling?

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: