Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:21:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blocknet, Etherium or Maidsafe - which is the best?  (Read 2908 times)
dan7777777 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 12:45:33 PM

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Honeypot

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 12:55:36 PM

blocknet was a scam by prometheus pump and dump group as far as anyone knows.

Etherium is shady with their 'we might not even finish our project with your 20k btc investments' written in fine print on their actual contract. Not to mention many serious financial officials have doubts about its viability or vision. It just sounds way too unrealistic or vague.

Maidsafe - not much knowledge in that area. As far as I know, little in the way of scams or scandals such as those above.

whetherman

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 01:05:07 PM

Why is not Supernet part of that lineup, out of curiosity?
Maegfaer

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 03:54:16 PM

Personally I'm on MaidSafe. I've been following development fairly closely for the past half year, and it's hard to understand how and why it works if you come from Bitcoin, since it doesn't use a blockchain. For the first few months I was quite skeptical, now I'm convinced the model will work. Over time all my tech questions have been answered on their forums, often by the CEO of MaidSafe, David Irvine. Note that I'm a software engineer and programmer myself (specialized in embedded systems, not in crypto), so that helped a lot in understanding it all.

This is probably a good introduction if want to know more: https://www.maidsafe.org/t/introduction-to-maidsafe-what-it-is-how-it-works-and-how-it-compares-to-bitcoin/2500

I think MaidSafe can attract the masses because it's not just a crypto-currency. It's also a decentralized cloud and a platform for a new, secure decentralized internet. This makes it attractive even to those who have no interest in crypto-currencies.

It also has far more resistance against centralization, since farming SafeCoin is not all about good hardware, but also about location (due to connection latency) and bandwidth. A farmer with crappy hardware will probably be able to serve other users in the same city faster than a farmer with top notch hardware located in another state. Hence every user will be able to farm at least some SafeCoin, and can thus use MaidSafe's services without first having to buy SafeCoin with fiat. Once people have become familiar with them that way, and notice how easy it is to use, they'll be far more likely to buy more SafeCoin with fiat to use them as a currency.
Hollowman338
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:06:55 PM

Why is not Supernet part of that lineup, out of curiosity?

because they haven't seen the light
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826

amarha

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:13:39 PM

Sound like three mostly unrelated projects to me. Not sure where the comparison comes in.
balu2

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:17:22 PM

3 overly complicated and for decades bugged and soon insignificant because never finished projects? Which is best?

Best is to buy a simple coin like bitcoin which does all it should: be a transactional token

More bells and whistles: more problems, less useability

The one thing i learned in crypto: do not buy promises on later delivery ever
Hollowman338
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:22:22 PM

3 overly complicated and for decades bugged and soon insignificant because never finished projects? Which is best?

Best is to buy a simple coin like bitcoin which does all it should: be a transactional token

History will prove ethereum to be the ultimate shitcoin.  People couldn't throw their BTC at them fast enough  Cheesy

Fools and their money..
balu2

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 04:34:34 PM

History will prove ethereum to be the ultimate shitcoin.  People couldn't throw their BTC at them fast enough  Cheesy

Fools and their money..

I think most of these big purchases were themselves. Just the normal presale-scam.

Selfbuy presale, get free premine, dump on idiots later

same, same ... seen it many times now.

I think up to 80% of ethereum purchases was maybe fake and them buying their own coins.

Blocknet same story. Maybe maidasfe too.

So the answer would be: all those coins are potential very big scams. I have no idea why i should buy that. I don't.
Maegfaer

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 06:29:12 PM

MaidSafe is currently in Test Net 2, which will be completed the coming week. Test Net 3 will be faster than than Test Net 2, and will likely not take longer than 2 months. After that the BETA, which I think will take 2-3 months, and then Launch:

http://maidsafe.net/roadmap

You can click on the different phases to see completion of individual features.

Anyway, all is open source and it's already possible to take part in the current test nets and use the current features. I've studied the source for a bit and it's very clean with high standards. The accusation of it being bugged for decades and never finished can only come from someone who didn't give MaidSafe a serious look.
balu2

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 07:42:45 PM

MaidSafe is currently in Test Net 2, which will be completed the coming week. Test Net 3 will be faster than than Test Net 2, and will likely not take longer than 2 months. After that the BETA, which I think will take 2-3 months, and then Launch:

http://maidsafe.net/roadmap

You can click on the different phases to see completion of individual features.

Anyway, all is open source and it's already possible to take part in the current test nets and use the current features. I've studied the source for a bit and it's very clean with high standards. The accusation of it being bugged for decades and never finished can only come from someone who didn't give MaidSafe a serious look.

a presale scam remains that. Innovation doesn't help you when your initial  distribution was unfair or fraudulent even. Before anyone can buy any of these coins they would need to make incredible research to verify it wasn't a fraud but you will never have proof it was none. So i think a presale actually makes the coin deadborn no matter how nice it is.

I don't care about innovative presale scams. Too high risk, no transparency, big fraud possible. So, no i'm not getting involved with the presale-scams.

You can never/rarely proof  it's a scam and you can absolutely never proof the contrary. So why get involved with your hard earned money? Been scammed enough. Just go away.

I stick to coins with fair and transparent distribution. PERIOD!
sumantso
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 08:36:46 PM

Blocknet - no idea.

Ethereum - smart contracts are promising, but they are still confused whether to go mining or some form of PoS.

Maidsafe - doing good work, thouh IMO the economics for the holder may not be the best.

Maidsafe and Ethereum are unrelated and are not competitors. While you're at it, check out Bitshares, which has brought Market Pegged Assets (thus solving the volatility problem in cryptos) among others.

Maegfaer

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:38:14 PM

You can never/rarely proof  it's a scam

Yet you insist on calling it 'presale-scam'.

Right, you can never prove that it was 100% fair. But first, the pre-sale was of only 10% of the coin cap, and second, this team was working on MaidSafe before Bitcoin existed, and there is plenty of proof of that. Seems a bit far fetched that it'd all be a get-rich-quick scheme. Hell, it's very likely that they didn't even have the BTC/MSC to buy any significant portion of the pre-sale for themselves, since they are not from the Bitcoin community and it's not like they had millions lying around. They were investing all they had in development costs for years.

In addition, 5% of the the coin cap will go to the MaidSafe developers as a compensation for all those years of work on a very tight budget, so they wouldn't need to manipulate the pre-sale to profit from the success of MaidSafe. I don't think that's unfair, but that's of course a matter of opinion. I don't think it's worse than the early Bitcoin adopters sitting on hundreds of thousands of easily mined Bitcoins.
balu2

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:39:47 PM

if you like to put trust in people in this business i won't stop you from investing in coins with suspicous high volume on the shady presales.

I'm investing in trustless coins only.

What ever you say doesn't make a difference. If it was any kind of presale which was purchased with cryptocurrency you have to trust there was no selfbuy. I'm too old for that naivity.

go get some super innovative coins dumped on you. Is fun, i promise.
Maegfaer

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 10:07:44 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2014, 10:19:31 PM by Maegfaer

go get some super innovative coins dumped on you. Is fun, i promise.

Honestly, it wouldn't really matter if there was a big dump. Unlike practically all crypto-currency projects out here, MaidSafe's usefulness and lifeforce doesn't rest on SafeCoin's value. MaidSafe's digital currency isn't the main feature. The decentralized content network is. It's extremely scalable, secure, efficient and fast. It's a like a combination of Bittorrent and TOR (with some I2P thrown into the mix). It functions as a cloud storage service like dropbox, as a web/app host, and as a (most likely free) decentralized encrypted instant messaging service. And yes, those features are documented in technical details (including multiple peer-reviewed whitepapers for different aspects of the network), actively under development, open source, and nearly finished. I can explain all major parts of it, if anyone's interested.

SafeCoin was originally only there for an integrated exchange of the network's resources. Providing resources (storage, routing, validation) earns you SafeCoin, using resources (mainly storage) costs SafeCoin. SafeCoin's great features as a general purpose crypto-currency are a bonus really. It's only because here we are all from Bitcoin that we focus almost solely on the currency.

A dump would just mean a long period of very cheap SafeCoin. Meanwhile MaidSafe would keep growing because of the network's utility, and when the dump would be absorbed, SafeCoin would simply bounce back.

So bring on that dump, more cheap SafeCoins for me!
balu2

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 10:19:52 PM

these dumps tend to occure on high prices.  Roll Eyes
Maegfaer

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 10:43:56 PM
Last edit: December 27, 2014, 11:00:20 PM by Maegfaer

these dumps tend to occure on high prices.  Roll Eyes

True, so maybe I won't be able to buy tens of thousands of them that cheaply. The point still stands though, MaidSafe's life force isn't bound to SafeCoin's value or stability, so at some point it would bounce back.

One of the interesting aspects of MaidSafe is that when you buy storage from the network, you're not directly paying a storage providing user (farmers). Instead you pay the network itself, which absorbs the SafeCoin. The network rewards farmers over time for providing stored chunks of data on requests from other users. The network will algorithmically determine both storage costs and farming rewards, based on the available storage/used storage ratio.

If SafeCoin's value falls, this will make storage very cheap (and maybe some farmers will go offline since farming is less profitable*), so the network's storage will start filling up. The network will react to this by increasing the SafeCoin price of storage and increasing the farming rewards. That will stop most people from buying more storage space, and will attract more farmers.

When SafeCoin's value suddenly explodes the opposite will happen to the storage ratio and thus to the costs/rewards. This way the network itself creates an equilibrium of supply and demand of the network's resources, regardless of SafeCoin's value swings. Hell, it's even able to deflate the total amount of SafeCoins in circulation by charging somewhat more for storage than issuing to farmers.

*Farmers build up reputation over time, and powering down reduces reputation. Reputation increases farming rewards, so it disincentivizes farmers to go temporarily offline during dips
upstate

Activity: 13

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 02:54:47 AM

This article explains the Maidsafe Network and how Safe Coin will work with it.

http://blanshey.com/introduction-to-maidsafe-what-it-is-how-it-works-and-how-it-compares-to-bitcoin/

Read this and then let me know what you think?

Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 03:49:06 AM

Thoughts?
All of this are sucks, there is not need these coins.
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 28, 2014, 11:08:36 AM

They are all quite different.

Blocknet is supposed to link up the blockchains of different coins. So if one coin offers a coin mixing service e.g. Xcurrency or DRK, and another coin offers a VPN service then with Blocknet you can use all these different services without needing to own the different coins.

Etherium is some turing complete bullshit.

Maidsafe is meant to be a decentralised internet, with Safecoin being the currency used to power it.

I think they are all good investments. Much better than a copy paste alt coin which offers nothing new over Bitcoin. It's no coincidence the majority of coins in the top 15 by market capitalisation offer advanced features and innovation.

Which is the best investment is impossible to say. Blocknet is absolutely dirt cheap because of the FUD campaign against it. But it's the highest risk. Maidsafe will likely move up to number 2 crypto in the next 2-3 years *if* it can deliver on all of the tech it's promised. I actually think Maidsafe/safecoin has the greatest chance of overtaking Bitcoin's market cap in the next few years of any other coin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: