Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:00:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware Wallets/Cold Storage - Best Option?  (Read 738 times)
TechnoBibble (OP)

Activity: 179
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:09:41 PM

Hi, I have read some reviews on site and had a look around for info, There is plenty off it but so many mixed reviews.

I am wondering the best way for cold storage? What is the safest way?

I was personally thinking about just writing down the private key on paper and ensuring that I dont lose it, having a copy at my house and a copy at my parents (who know nothing of bitcoin) and deleting the digital wallet, This way my coins can not be stolen by some scammer.

Does that sound like a good option to people. As I am just hoarding my BTC until the price goes up and dont want to spend any.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:11:53 PM

Ignore the myriads of peple who are going to chime in below me with UBUNTU and ARMORY and etc etc etc. Well dont ignore them if you're highly technical.

The safest, easiest, and most effective cold storage is very simple:  bitaddress.org
Wanna be extra safe, download their source files (link is on the home page) to a USB and run the webpage on a laptop that's never been online.  Bip38 option.  Pick a passphrase.  Generate. Print (or write it down, but be careful). Bank Safe Deposit Box. Done.  

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
CoinRocka

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:19:26 PM

Ignore the myriads of peple who are going to chime in below me with UBUNTU and ARMORY and etc etc etc. Well dont ignore them if you're highly technical.

The safest, easiest, and most effective cold storage is very simple:  bitaddress.org
Wanna be extra safe, download their source files (link is on the home page) to a USB and run the webpage on a laptop that's never been online.  Bip38 option.  Pick a passphrase.  Generate. Print (or write it down, but be careful). Bank Safe Deposit Box. Done.  

-B-

Buy a Trezor.  Write the seed down and store via Bitt's advice above.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:20:09 PM

Two most relevant threads to answer all your questions:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=858604

moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:25:19 PM

Definitely download that script and generate it locally https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=bitaddress.org that site should use portable LibreSSL as a drop in replacement for OpenSSL.

wget http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/LibreSSL/ latest version
./configure
make
make install.

Will fix all those SSL errors.

TechnoBibble (OP)

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 09:26:41 PM

Thank you for all your helpful replies and links to the most relevent topics
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 27, 2014, 11:52:25 PM

only need wallet.dat
bitcoin core will live for ever ! (even macosx can't do this ...)
bf4btc

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

Smoke weed everyday!

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:45:23 AM

-B-

I personally think that Trezor is too new and untested for it to be a reliable enough of a way to store large amounts of bitcoin, plus the fact that it has a high price will deter people from wanting to use it

Your best bet is to somehow generate a private key on a computer that has never been connected to the internet nor will be connected to the internet until the funds from the private key it generates has been transferred to another address

████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████▄▄▄█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
████████▀▀▀██████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀████████

TechnoBibble (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 12:58:48 AM

-B-

I personally think that Trezor is too new and untested for it to be a reliable enough of a way to store large amounts of bitcoin, plus the fact that it has a high price will deter people from wanting to use it

Your best bet is to somehow generate a private key on a computer that has never been connected to the internet nor will be connected to the internet until the funds from the private key it generates has been transferred to another address

Thanks, for added security would it be at all any value to get a hardware RNG to help with such a task, or the fact it being an offline computer good enough security?
bf4btc

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

Smoke weed everyday!

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 01:08:19 AM

-B-

Thanks, for added security would it be at all any value to get a hardware RNG to help with such a task, or the fact it being an offline computer good enough security?
I would say you can use a hardware RNG, however I would not personally trust anything that is made specifically for bitcoin as the technology would be a larger target for attackers. I would say that an offline computer would probably be sufficient

████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████▄▄▄█████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████████████
████████▀▀▀██████████████████████