Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:08:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas Prices Falling in the US  (Read 5449 times)
mrbubl3s

Activity: 293
Merit: 261

Professional Ameteur

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:02:17 AM

Seems to me the price of gas has been going down for years...but that's because I price things in silver.  Wink

Exactly my point  Wink

Not to mention oil and natural gas probably doesn't come from 100 million year old dinosaurs.  That's a little far fetched since they would decompose to nothing.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091104123032.htm

Also there's a crapload of natural gas in OCEANS on Titan, a moon of Saturn, due to the low temperatures allowing the gas to liquify. There was no life there, was there?

I tl;dr the URL, though many years ago Titan was somewhere else. There could have been life there at some point.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 07:05:36 AM

this:
I tl;dr the URL
Is probably the reason for this...
many years ago Titan was somewhere else.

lern 2 science.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
aqrulesms

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 10:52:28 PM
Last edit: August 06, 2012, 03:57:34 AM by aqrulesms

Seems to me the price of gas has been going down for years...but that's because I price things in silver.  Wink

Exactly my point  Wink

Not to mention oil and natural gas probably doesn't come from 100 million year old dinosaurs.  That's a little far fetched since they would decompose to nothing.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091104123032.htm

Also there's a crapload of natural gas in OCEANS on Titan, a moon of Saturn, due to the low temperatures allowing the gas to liquify. There was no life there, was there?

I tl;dr the URL, though many years ago Titan was somewhere else. There could have been life there at some point.

There could have been life on Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune too right? They actually have a significant amount of natural gas in their atmospheres too.

Also if you read the article, you would clearly find that natural gas can result from purely abiotic chemical reactions.

Natural gas can also be strung together into higher chains of hydrocarbons from heat and pressure.

██ ██    ██ ██    ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██  ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██    ██ ██ ██      ██    ██ ██ ██
   ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄
   ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██    ██  
▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
     ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
    ██  ▄  ▄▄  ▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄  ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
        ▄▄ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
        ▀▀  ▀ ▀▀ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀  ▀  ██ ██
         ██ ██ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ██ ██ ▄ ▄▄
           ▄▄  ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀      ▄▄ ▀▀
           ▀▀    ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀
UCHAIN  ▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
.████████████████████████.
██████████████████████████
███▄     ███████     ▄████
█████     █████     ██████
█████ ▌    ███▌     ██████
█████ █     █▌ ▐    ██████
█████ ██      ▐█    ██████
█████ ███    ▐██    ██████
████▀ ▀███   ███    ██████
██▀     ▀██ ██▀      ▀████
██████████████▀     ▀█████
███ ▀████████▌        ▄███
███    ▀████▀        ▄████
███                 ▐█████
████                ▐█████
██████              ██████
███████           ▄███████
██████▀         ▄█████████
████▄▄      ▄▄████████████
.███████████████████████.
█████████████████████████
███████████████████▀▀▀███
█████████████▀▀▀ ▄    ███
████████▀▀     ▄█▀   ▐███
████▀▀       ▄█▀     ████
█▀         ▄██      ▐████
████▄▄▄  ▄██▀       █████
███████████        ▐█████
██████████         ██████
██████████ ▄██▄▄  ▐██████
█████████████████████████
.███████████████████████.
sethsethseth

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 02:48:02 PM

Gasoline prices will continue to fall.  The trucking industry, which accounts for 1/3 of all US oil consumption, can be converted to run on natural gas, and Obama has signed legislation to support this.  Natural gas can also be converted into oil very profitably at the current price ratio with GTL technology, and Shell and SASOL competing to build these facilities in the US.  Additionally, the price of solar panels has dropped by 75% in the last three years.  Solar is now competitive with daytime electricity rates, and it will continue to get cheaper.  But putting solar panels on roofs is just the tip of the iceberg.  By mid-century, most of our power will come from space.  Space-based solar panels are much more efficient as the sunlight is 5.5 times stronger in space, and the panels always operate at 100% with no night.  The power will get beamed to earth in the form of microwaves.  Private enterprise will lower the cost of space launch enough to undercut other methods of power generation.  Much to the environmentalist's delight, oil is on its way out.

I recently read "Private Empire" ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Private-Empire-ExxonMobil-American-Power/dp/1846146593/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341579850&sr=8-1 ), which despite the name turned out to be a rather level-headed read. Among other interesting tidbits, it outlines Exxon's recent studies into the future of energy, namely, whether they should be looking at alternative energy sources seriously or not. Their conclusion was that everything that could threaten the status quo of fossil fuels as the main source of energy (overwhelmingly by the way, check out some stats for global energy production...) requires several near-miraculous discoveries in the near term.

Now, Exxon isn't exactly unbiased, but still, solar is so small now that even assuming yearly growth rates in the double digits, the industry will be hard pressed to gain more than a few percent of total global energy production within the next few decades, as energy consumption is projected to grow as well...

As for gas prices currently, the news outlets here say it's simply because of the global economic fubar. Consumption is down.

That Exxon report is from 2005 looking ahead to 2030, and they are way off on their estimates for the growth of solar.  The report appears biased, as they estimate the growth of alternative energy at 10% when solar was 25-40% in the years leading up to the report, and it would not be so optimistic if written after the radical 75% decline in solar prices in the last 3 years, which caused the exponential growth curve to accelerate.  Solar has grown at an average of 59% since 2001, 110% in the last 3 years, and 193% in 2011.  Exxon engineers considered a breakthrough in solar to be unlikely in the next two decades, and they were wrong.

You are right that solar is currently tiny though.  Global energy consumption is 132,000 TWH, while solar is 55.7 TWH, .04% of the total.  This is because it has only recently become financially viable.  But a 38 year time span out to 2050 along with continued technology advances and price decreases will change that.  Keep in mind that one decade of 50% growth means 58 times more solar power.  A decade of 50% growth followed by a decade of 20% growth followed by two decades of 10% growth would grow solar up to the current global consumption using current technology by 2050, but that is just a back-of-the-envelope mental exercise.  Now imagine how fast oil will die when we can launch the panels into space and run them 24/7 with 5.5x stronger sunlight.

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2012/06/18/1048871/the-exponential-growth-in-solar-consumption/

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
albertdemorcerf

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 03:41:51 PM

I love these gas prices!  its time to start drivin the v8 again  Cheesy

You are showing your age. I remember when gas was under $2 a gallon!

Let me show my age.  I remember when gas was less than $1/gallon.

I also remember when gas first went over $1/gallon:  People were totally freaked out and thought the world was ending.

My hats off to you sir!

FILL'ER'UP!

gas will start being "too expensive" when we stop using it to fill our cars and start using vegetable oil or whatever alternative is just barely cheaper. it might be more expensive than it was in the golden years of $1/gal, but nothing is going to change until gas hits the threshold where it is no longer worth using. opp costs.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: