Bitcoin Forum
September 10, 2024, 04:12:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-11-14] Bank of Canada looking into issuing digital currency!  (Read 1071 times)
Jerubbaal75 (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

Canadian Miner, eh! (ヅ

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 05:38:44 AM
Last edit: December 29, 2014, 05:59:03 AM by Jerubbaal75

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/bank-of-canada-looking-into-issuing-digital-currency-1.2834759
&
http://globalnews.ca/news/1672098/bank-of-canada-considering-potential-merits-of-issuing-electronic-money/

They're nowhere near ready but talking about it is a great start! Goh Canada!

Wilkins says the Bank of Canada and the federal government are both looking to modernize their oversight frameworks for payments to address the rise and popularity of digital currencies such as bitcoin. (Matthew Kang/CBC)

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 07:28:02 AM

I'm glad it's coming up in discussion, but this sounds more negative: "Wilkins says the increasingly popular digital currencies are not yet big enough to pose material risk to Canada’s financial stability as a whole – but she notes the Bank of Canada is watching"

"She says the Bank of Canada has been working with the federal government to modernize Canada’s oversight of the payment method." --Sounds like more regulation as compared to adoption.

CBC had a more positive spin: "Wilkins says bitcoin and other digital currencies have a long way to go before they can truly circumvent central banks, since the daily number of transactions is still relatively low compared to debit and credit cards".

Guess we'd have to listen to the entire discussion to truly understand her opinion on digital currencies.

Thanks for linking the articles though. It's good to know that these topics are coming up within different countries governments.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 29, 2014, 07:55:31 AM

Then if they do start having problems like Russia, they won't discuss anything that can shake the confidence in their currency.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 05:11:37 AM

I'm sure it will be as successful as their MintChip project.

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 04:26:17 PM

I'm sure it will be as successful as their MintChip project.

thought the same. hopefully they have some really good ideas and Satoshi is their Main-Dev  Cheesy

at least they dont need any more printing-presses in that scenario  Wink

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:09:45 PM

Even if it comes out, it's going to be fiat & PoS, so don't hold your breath for it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: