Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:04:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Formal naming convention for physical crypto coins  (Read 3956 times)
elianite (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2014, 12:02:47 PM

As some of you may know, I am working on a ~200 page eBook guide to categorize all physical crypto coins. In creating it, I would like to standardize some naming conventions to identify specific coins, particularly when it comes to Casascius coins.

I would like the feedback of the collector community to develop a naming system that makes sense, is easy to understand, and will stand the test of time.

- In the first version of the Casascius Guide, I used 'Version' to identify Casascius coins. In my opinion, a better word is 'Series', shortened to S1. S2, etc.

- I have experimented with the idea of specifically designating silver and gold coins as such in the name, as it seems to be a precedent in the traditional numismatic community. Please let me know your thoughts.

- I have begun designating all hologram-bearing coins which are or can be loaded with a crypto currency as 'coins', while those with normal artwork on both sides are 'rounds'. The grey area here are those coins which bear an image on one side, and a blank side on the other where a sticker is provided to the buyer so they can 'create their own wallet'. I am of the opinion that these too should be designated as 'rounds', or perhaps specifically as 'wallets' (though I imagine that confusing numismatics).

- I think each specific hologram should be designated as a 'series'. This is already the convention with Casascius coins. This would mean Lealana coins are divided into 2 series, with the 1st 1ltc coins some currently consider an individual series (due to no 'pt' for the private key making a large bump into the hologram) being simply designated as an 'error' strain of Series 1.

- Many Casascius coins have popular 'names'. I have devised a method to intgrate them into the 'standard names' i am developing. In doing so I a m deviding these names into two categories; 'differentiating' and 'describing' names. Differentiating names are ones which differentiiate two coins that are otherwise the exact same year, series, amount. There are two examples:
1btc Coin, S1, 2011
1btc ‘First Bits Error’ Coin, S1, 2011
and
10btc Silver Coin, S2, 2012
10btc 'Gold B' Silver Coin, S2, 2012
and
0.5btc 'Silver Error' Silver Coin, S3, 2013
0.5btc Silver Coin, S3, 2013
and
1btc Silver Coin, S3, 2013
1btc Silver 'Gold Rim' Coin, S3, 2013   (The 10BTC coin and 1BTC coin both have a 'gold B', but only the 1BTC features a 'gold rim', so it is a better name)
These names serve as an 'official' parts of the name to differentiate them from others. The other type; describing names, are ones which are not crucial to identify the coin, but are very helpful in understanding what is being referred to and include 'nicknames'. Below are examples:
5btc Coin, S1, 2012 ‘Error Bitnickel’
5btc Coin, S2, 2012 ‘Bitnickel’
My naming convention has been to put the 'differentiating' names right after the denomination (in the middle of the name), while the 'describing' nickname types go after the year.

- When selling any S1 Casascus coin, many people speak of it as an 'error' or 'error coin'. I propose that the 'error' not be put in either the middle or end of the names of the coins, as the 'S1' marking would already imply it. I believe it would serve to confuse readers. The fact of the spelling error can always be explained in the description.

Please comment with your thoughts on some or all of these points so I can make this guide the best it can be. Below I have my current naming for Casascius and Lealana.

CASASCIUS
1btc Coin, S1, 2011
1btc Coin, S2, 2011
1btc Coin, S2, 2012
1btc Coin, S2, 2013
1btc Silver 'Gold Rim' Coin, S3, 2013
5btc Coin, S1, 2012 ‘Error Bitnickel’     (should I drop the 'error' here?)
0.5btc Coin, S2, 2013
0.5btc 'Silver Error' Silver Coin, S3, 2013
0.5btc Silver Coin, S3, 2013
0.1btc Silver Coin, S3, 2013
10btc Silver Coin, S2, 2012
10btc 'Gold B' Silver Coin, S2, 2012
25btc Coin, S1, 2011
25btc Coin, S2, 2011
1000btc Gold Coin, S1, 2011
Aluminum Round
St. Petersburg Bitcoin Bowl Silver Round

LEALANA
1ltc 'Error' Coin, S1, 2013
1ltc Coin, S1, 2013
5ltc Silver Coin, S1, 2013
10ltc Silver Coin, S1, 2013
25ltc Silver Coin, S1, 2013
0.1btc Brass Coin, S2, 2013
0.1btc Silver Coin, S2, 2013
0.25btc Silver Coin, S2, 2013
0.5btc Silver Coin, S2, 2013
1btc Silver Coin, S2, 2013

I have lots more to figure out for naming conventions for all the other coins, but this is a good place to start.

The whole guide should be ready in 2 weeks time. I am looking for sponsors to donate, who will get the privilege of having some ads appear in the guide. Anyone interested please get in touch!

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 02:30:32 PM

no comments?

this makes me sad Sad

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 06:03:31 PM

I didn't even know anyone collected these types of coins. 

There's another ebook on this site, maybe you can see what they did as far as your questions go.

http://www.coinfirm.org/app/download/3860348/The+CoinFIRM+Casascius+Guide+v0.11+.pdf
LitcoinCollector
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 06:19:58 PM

There's another ebook on this site, maybe you can see what they did as far as your questions go.

http://www.coinfirm.org/app/download/3860348/The+CoinFIRM+Casascius+Guide+v0.11+.pdf

Great guide thanks!
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 08:42:14 PM

YES!

This is actually my website / guide. What I am working on is the updated version that will be 200 pages. see my signature Smiley

cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1057

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2014, 08:57:38 PM

Oh yeah, I see that now... I randomly tripped across it while looking up Casascius coins.  Didn't they get in hot water from the feds as a money transmitter and stop producing all coins with values?

What I thought was interesting on your site was the tracking of the coins and whether or not they've been spent yet.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 12:03:51 AM

Thanks for the list you made.

I would put the words "gold B" in with the 1 BTC 2013 coin that I sell.

Smiley

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 12:05:25 AM

What coin are you referring to when you say "1ltc 'Error' Coin, S1, 2013"?

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 12:45:27 AM

Oh yeah, I see that now... I randomly tripped across it while looking up Casascius coins.  Didn't they get in hot water from the feds as a money transmitter and stop producing all coins with values?

What I thought was interesting on your site was the tracking of the coins and whether or not they've been spent yet.

I'm very glad that the guide is being found by those searching the coins. You are correct, Casascius was essentially ordered to stop selling the coins containing btc value. There are however, over a dozen other companies making similar coins, with different designs and holograms, that have continued. these coinsare also collectible and what I am categorizing.

elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 12:49:09 AM

I refer to the first 2000 1ltc coins, on which there is no 'private key pit' on the coins*. These are generally differentiated from the other 1ltc coins on these forums as 'series 1' and 'series 2' respectively, a practice i find to be confusing.

*It could have been something else, but my memory is foggy at the moment.

elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 12:52:09 AM

Smiley

I can do that. I would say that the 'Gold B' in that case belongs at the end of the name, behind the year, as it is not required to differentiate it from another coin. Still great to havea 'name' for it Smiley

hgch

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 07:16:49 AM

hi elianite
i own some casascius and some lealana coins.
Lealana LTC Coins: There are 3 different types, as named by cflow(ebay-seller):
- serie 1 with 5 squares in a row on hologram, outest squares not full shape, like cutted edges, adress black font type, sometimes prefixes (your S1)
- serie 2 with 5 squares in a row on hologram, full shape, adress black font type, prefixes, individual number on the hologram, printed in black
- serie 3 same hologram, adress green font type with / without laser mark "buyer-funded", individual number on the hologram, printed in black

Lealana BTC Coins:
- with adress black font type and different prefixes,  with / without laser mark "buyer-funded", individual number on the hologram, printed in black (your S2)
- with adress green font type and no prefixes, with / without laser mark "buyer-funded", individual number on the hologram, printed in black

asking smoothie would definitely be the best idea, he has to know...

by the way: i really like your book and i'm looking forward to download the new one.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
January 11, 2015, 04:09:28 AM

I refer to the first 2000 1ltc coins, on which there is no 'private key pit' on the coins*. These are generally differentiated from the other 1ltc coins on these forums as 'series 1' and 'series 2' respectively, a practice i find to be confusing.

*It could have been something else, but my memory is foggy at the moment.

There is no error in those first 2000 1 LTC coins.

They are merely a limited run of using the original LEALANA holograms.

The "private key pit" exists on those coins.

The only coins that do no have that pit are the 1/2 oz silver 10 LTC series 1.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2015, 08:48:55 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2015, 10:08:58 AM by TookDk

As this is a suggestion for a formal convention, I suggest the following corrections:

The way the metal of the coin is specified needs to be more consistent:

1btc Coin, S2, 2013

0.1btc Brass Coin, S2, 2013
0.1btc Silver Coin, S2, 2013

The brass material is "Coin" for CASASCIUS and "Brass coin" for LEALANA.
My opinion is to either include the material or not, but it must be consistent.

The placement special attributes (nick names) also needs to be more consistent:

In the 1 BTC is the special attribute the 2nd paramenter, while for the 5 BTC is it the last.
My personal opinion is that all "nicknames" should go last.

The face value should be either "1 BTC" with capital letters and a space, or "BTC1".
My opinion is to use "1 BTC".  

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
tins

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:56:15 AM

Smiley

I can do that. I would say that the 'Gold B' in that case belongs at the end of the name, behind the year, as it is not required to differentiate it from another coin. Still great to havea 'name' for it Smiley

GoldB...kinda does have a ring to it. Stands out.
Great idea!
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:21:52 AM

Are these for all physicals including alts or just for the physical bitcoins and Litecoins?
Are failed projects and scams also included? Aka Coinographic.
elianite (OP)
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
March 13, 2015, 05:02:56 AM

Are these for all physicals including alts or just for the physical bitcoins and Litecoins?
Are failed projects and scams also included? Aka Coinographic.

My intentions are to include all coins of which a physical production has been produced. I believe that they are all relevant as collectors items. I am also fully intending to include coins which are not 'wallets', but simply crypto themed, though the list of them is getting huge.

My original intention was to release this in January, but it is pushed back. I fully intend that it will be out by the end of May, mid June at the latest (pinky swear).

AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 13, 2015, 07:09:21 AM

I see. Good luck with it. I'm actually excited as I really liked the last guide.
I know it'll be hard getting good photos but I've seen some pretty decent snaps taken by some members on the forum. Perhaps you could try and ask permission from them to use their photos in the guide?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: