Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:41:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it still feasible to mine with graphics cards?  (Read 2857 times)
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 06:18:56 PM

GPU mining days are over and with current crypto situation even with free electricity , GPU mining would be marginally profitable , not worth the effort.
mlahor

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 12:17:00 AM

But what about the CPU mining? I've heard Magi is a promising new coin?
Jesse Livermore

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 04:31:00 AM

SpreadCoin is profitable. I've fired my 7950 back up and am paying for it's electric bill and then some just like early last year.
Willing to pay top rental fee if any of you X11 mega-rig owners want to solo-mine for me.
re: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=916787.0

I own a DASH Masternode.... And you should too.
Stcgold

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 04:45:51 AM

i stop mining Magi

no profit
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 07:13:20 AM

i stop mining Magi

no profit

What the community has gathered from experience is that more than 90% of new and 'promising' alt-coins do not last very long.

Every now and then a new alt-coin enters with a new and unique feature that gets attention of the community and people start mining with high profits. But if you look at the same coin after 2-3 months, it fades into darkness with no profits, no community support and no future development.
Equate

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 07:17:39 AM

GPU mining days are over and with current crypto situation even with free electricity , GPU mining would be marginally profitable , not worth the effort.

Not unless you enjoy it, anyway - profits keep going down.

True , GPU mining was both  fun and profit while it lasted ,  but I was talking from investment perspective as many people had queries about investing in GPU's for mining.
bensam123

Activity: 423

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 03:12:31 PM

It's not and probably will never be anymore unless you pay one of the kernel makers on the forum for access to their private kernels.

What's happening right now is akin to ASIC development, only with private kernels instead of specialized pieces of hardware. You also don't know it's happening because they don't usually advertise besides posting their screenshots around the forums for bragging rights and to attract clients. There is no public venue to go and look at the 'wares' so to speak, which actually makes it worse then ASICs as most people don't even know it's going on and there is no way to 'buy in'.

I got into the GPU boat to get around this sort of thing, but it actually ended up worse in the long run unless someone makes a highly optimized algo that just uses everything from the start (like scrypt).
bensam123

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 06:50:21 AM

And the amount something can be improved varies wildly. For instance you don't think mining can be improved from a efficiency standpoint, but other miners do it (and you've even done it yourself).

1% improvement is much different then a 50% improvement. There are diminishing returns when you start getting towards optimized coding or even something like scrypt, which is running into a utilization envelope.
BitSlapper

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 07:07:00 PM

Mining with GPUS was over by 2012 early 2013.  We are neck deep into the ASIC mining era for all algos, SHA-256 and SCRYPT coins.

If you don't have an ASIC chip based miner, you're not really mining.

Probably the 2 most reputable manufacturers on the block:

https://www.bitmaintech.com/product.htm

http://www.spondoolies-tech.com/

Personally I'd advise against getting any mining hardware right now, because there seems to be no ROI in sight for anything you buy, unless you somehow have free cooling from the North Pole and have free solar power.

Over by early 2013 ??

GPU Mining ... You were doing it wrong.

In late 2013 and early 2014 I made about $5,000.00 USD on 4 Small rigs. I made the cost of the rigs back fairly quickly and then sold the rigs in parts on ebay during the rush when people were buying up GPU's for ridiculous prices.

I sold my 7950's and 7970's for more than triple what I had paid for them.

Having said that, GPU mining isn't profitable now.

It's ok to mine if you can afford the electricity and look at it as more of a hobby than a smart investment Wink

Many people have made out with speculative mining though.

The first BTC miners were hobbyists. The first LTC miners were hobbyists. The first DOGE miners did it as a joke. Look how it turned out for all those early adopters....

BitSlapper      Coin Shield : 2QscvkN2ddvKHhQZD9RjYS6nGXSLSSgQYJ6peCCXV8RNP8FZj2r
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 10:39:12 PM

Mining with GPUS was over by 2012 early 2013.  We are neck deep into the ASIC mining era for all algos, SHA-256 and SCRYPT coins.

Personally I'd advise against getting any mining hardware right now, because there seems to be no ROI in sight for anything you buy, unless you somehow have free cooling from the North Pole and have free solar power.

Over by early 2013 ??

In late 2013 and early 2014 I made about $5,000.00 USD on 4 Small rigs. I made the cost of the rigs back fairly quickly and then sold the rigs in parts on ebay during the rush when people were buying up GPU's for ridiculous prices.

It's ok to mine if you can afford the electricity and look at it as more of a hobby than a smart investment Wink

The first BTC miners were hobbyists. The first LTC miners were hobbyists. The first DOGE miners did it as a joke. Look how it turned out for all those early adopters....

Yes, early 2013.

The Asic era started in 2013:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140099.0

If you were still mining Bitcoins on GPU's in 2013, you were definitely doing it wrong...

Please don't mention altcoin mumbo jumbo Doge BS...those scamcoin pump and dumps don't count!   Grin

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
BitSlapper

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 12:51:44 AM

Over by early 2013 ??

LOL! We are in the Mining section for Alternate Crypto. Who the hell would be GPU mining Bitcoin anytime in 2013 :p .

Point still being that GPU mining was going strong into early 2014. Don't post in the Alts section if you don't care to talk about them LMAO!

BitSlapper      Coin Shield : 2QscvkN2ddvKHhQZD9RjYS6nGXSLSSgQYJ6peCCXV8RNP8FZj2r
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 01:17:47 AM

Over by early 2013 ??

LOL! We are in the Mining section for Alternate Crypto. Who the hell would be GPU mining Bitcoin anytime in 2013 :p .

Point still being that GPU mining was going strong into early 2014. Don't post in the Alts section if you don't care to talk about them LMAO!
if the btc continues to go down, it might happen again...  Grin

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 02:45:13 AM

Yes, with the innovation Spreadcoin has brought to the table (it excludes pools) mining with GPU's is once again profitable: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.0
djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2015, 02:57:04 AM

Yes, with the innovation Spreadcoin has brought to the table (it excludes pools) mining with GPU's is once again profitable: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.0
hmm... excluding pools tends to exclude small miners too... (and I am a fan of solo mining...)

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
MyFarm

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 02:58:30 AM

hmm... excluding pools tends to exclude small miners too...
Not at all.  It's actually a fallacy that it excludes them.  Now, you have to be patient for a payout as you're not sharing in a lot of blocks.  But when you find a block, it's all yours.
sp_
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1087

Team Black developer

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 11:33:28 AM

1 BTC is now 220$. Many are shutting down their farms, and the difficulty is dropping.

Team Black Miner (ETHB3 ETH ETC VTC KAWPOW FIROPOW MEOWPOW + dual mining + tripple mining.. https://github.com/sp-hash/TeamBlackMiner
bensam123

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 06:39:08 AM

And the amount something can be improved varies wildly. For instance you don't think mining can be improved from a efficiency standpoint, but other miners do it (and you've even done it yourself).

1% improvement is much different then a 50% improvement. There are diminishing returns when you start getting towards optimized coding or even something like scrypt, which is running into a utilization envelope.

Did 15% on scrypt-jane. Not 50%, but still substantial, and there's more in it.

Which is not substantial compared to 50%. We're talking about improvement per hour of time put into it. 15% gap can be closed and made up for a lot more then a 50% gap.

If you get a highly optimized public miner from the start, then private kernals will die off, which is good. It's actually sorta funny, it turns out scrypt was still the best algo to mine on. Reduced power usage was great, but that gave way to private kernels which destroyed that.
sp_
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1087

Team Black developer

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 07:47:24 AM

Todays btc price: $170.08 -25.07%

Move your btc's into altcoins. F.ex Darkcoin

Team Black Miner (ETHB3 ETH ETC VTC KAWPOW FIROPOW MEOWPOW + dual mining + tripple mining.. https://github.com/sp-hash/TeamBlackMiner
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: