Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 11:13:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Carbon Dioxide Emissions Help Tropical Rain Forests Grow Faster  (Read 1515 times)
Chef Ramsay (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 11:51:27 PM

Study shows trees absorb more greenhouse gas than expected

Tongue
Tropical forests are growing faster than scientists thought due to rising levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
A Nasa-led study has found that tropical forests are absorbing 1.5 billion tons of carbon dioxide every year as they photosynthesise and grow.

And this is far more than is absorbed by the vast areas of boreal forest that encircle the Arctic.

The researchers claim their findings show that rainforests like the Amazon are essential for soaking up excess greenhouse gases, and play a far greater role than had been previously realised.

More...http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2891432/Carbon-dioxide-emissions-help-tropical-rainforests-grow-faster-Study-shows-trees-absorb-greenhouse-gas-expected.html
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 30, 2014, 11:57:51 PM

Surprised to see the title.  Grin
Global warming and greenhouse effect have been off the headlines for quite some time now.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 02:01:38 AM

Global warming and greenhouse effect have been off the headlines for quite some time now.

Not really familiar with my mostly updated little thread? AGW is always the headline a few times a month here  Cheesy

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=374873.0

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:51:53 PM

Of course, scientists have to figure out some reason why the rate of global warming has been slowing down since about 1999.

If there was a way to get more of the ocean water into the atmosphere, that would be a good thing. Global warming would increase. The polar ice would melt. Northern Canada and Siberia would become nice, fertile, warm lands. The Sahara and other deserts would bloom once again. The world would suddenly have enough easy room for another 7.5 billion people. Actually, there's easily enough room for that right now. Think of how great the populations could be then.

It would be fun.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:54:31 PM

If jungles encompassed the world, we could all live in the trees. Tarzan did it.    Cheesy

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 04:04:06 PM

If jungles encompassed the world, we could all live in the trees. Tarzan did it.    Cheesy

Don't forget the flying snakes

BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 02:50:00 PM

More work for the farmers in the Amazon jungles who are trying to clear the lands for cultivation. Does this mean that farming is a cult?

Smiley

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 03:56:15 PM

More work for the farmers in the Amazon jungles who are trying to clear the lands for cultivation. Does this mean that farming is a cult?

Smiley

...so they can produce more GMO soy beans Smiley.
(oYo)

Activity: 476
Merit: 500

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2015, 04:42:26 PM

Something has been troubling me ever since this anti-greenhouse gas campaign began. I've never thought of carbon dioxide as being the real menace, particularly since that's exactly what plants breathe. Instead, my concerns have always been with the amount of carbon monoxide and other extremely dangerous pollutants industries introduce into the environment, which is hardly ever mentioned. I believe this omission is made on purpose to protect industries from receiving legitimate criticism in regards to their dirty and secretive pollutive practices.

[Now, obviously too much CO2 is indeed a problem, since we don't breathe it. Nevertheless, as long as we didn't destroy all the trees and plant life (in the name of progress) and kept enough of them around, it wouldn't have ever been such a big problem. Yet, as it turns out, that is exactly what is happening. Consequently, the reduction in trees and other plant life through clear-cut logging practices and ever expanding parking lots is indeed exacerbating the (otherwise inappreciable) carbon dioxide problem.]

biggerbig

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 04:53:16 PM

Carbon Dioxide Emissions Help Tropical Rain Forests Grow Faster

Isn't that pretty obvious? It's like forcing the pigs to eat too much potatoes - they will grow faster, if a person will eat too much he'll get fat. So more Carbon Dioxide = more greeneries
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 07:51:31 PM

well if the people wouldnt chop of the tropical forest to plant soja...

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 07:56:26 PM

Carbon Dioxide Emissions Help Tropical Rain Forests Grow Faster

Isn't that pretty obvious? It's like forcing the pigs to eat too much potatoes - they will grow faster, if a person will eat too much he'll get fat. So more Carbon Dioxide = more greeneries

Yes, but. When the tropical rain forests eat the carbon dioxide, they exhale oxygen. More oxygen means that we can burn more fossil fuels, thereby making more carbon dioxide. Neat, eh? We can drive our cars further and longer from the old (fossil fuel) rain forests, and the present rain forests give us oxygen, and ultimately convert themselves (over a long period of time) into fossil fuels so that the next generations can drive their cars because of the oxygen future generation rain forests exhale.

Neat, right?

Cheesy

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 08:56:12 PM

Something has been troubling me ever since this anti-greenhouse gas campaign began. I've never thought of carbon dioxide as being the real menace, particularly since that's exactly what plants breathe. Instead, my concerns have always been with the amount of carbon monoxide and other extremely dangerous pollutants industries introduce into the environment, which is hardly ever mentioned. I believe this omission is made on purpose to protect industries from receiving legitimate criticism in regards to their dirty and secretive pollutive practices.

[Now, obviously too much CO2 is indeed a problem, since we don't breathe it. Nevertheless, as long as we didn't destroy all the trees and plant life (in the name of progress) and kept enough of them around, it wouldn't have ever been such a big problem. Yet, as it turns out, that is exactly what is happening. Consequently, the reduction in trees and other plant life through clear-cut logging practices and ever expanding parking lots is indeed exacerbating the (otherwise inappreciable) carbon dioxide problem.]
Well, CO has high internal energy (it burns quite nicely) so one way or another it will react to form CO2.  I would not worry at all about atmospheric levels of CO - worry about it in enclosed spaces.

Other pollutants, yes - suspicion that they are being ignored while the spotlight is on CO2 is valid suspicion.  Good old style pollution.

However, old style pollution emitters in the USA are cleaner than they even have been.  Now China, that's a completely different story...
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 11:39:10 PM

Methane and Water Vapor are way, way, way more effective greenhouse gasses than CO2, but for whatever reaon CO2 gets all the bad press.  Meanwhile, the world's forests grows as measure by sattelite far outpace the predictions of the past century due to increased CO2 in the atmosphere.

http://www.co2science.org/subject/f/summaries/forests.php

There's a lot more to atmospheric science than what 99% of the public understand and what is reported on main stream media outlets.
michaeladair

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

I'm a Web Developer: HTML, CSS, PHP, JS.

View Profile
April 02, 2015, 11:40:09 PM

Now all we gotta do is stop chopping them the fuck down.

mrcashking

Activity: 700

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:20:07 AM

This is the main thing that needs to be done, they are alive and have been for longer than our fathers and their fathers and we chop them down at the rate we do is sickening i really do hate it all them animals that get wiped out along the way. I have a friend that grows weed he swears by co2, that gets them super bushy, well so he says Wink Stop chopping the lungs of the planet and our children might just survive the tree's have survived worse levels than current and they ended up around most of the planet for the dinosaurs. 
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 02:31:25 AM

This is the main thing that needs to be done, they are alive and have been for longer than our fathers and their fathers and we chop them down at the rate we do is sickening i really do hate it all them animals that get wiped out along the way. I have a friend that grows weed he swears by co2, that gets them super bushy, well so he says Wink Stop chopping the lungs of the planet and our children might just survive the tree's have survived worse levels than current and they ended up around most of the planet for the dinosaurs.  

The algae and plankton in the oceans do more than the rain forests oxygenwise. But, have you seen that Clive Cussler, 2005 movie, Sahara? In that movie, some joker had a factory in Mali, Africa, that dumped a bunch of deadly toxins into the water of the Niger River. If they had made their way to the ocean, they would have killed off the Atlantic. I wonder how badly we are damaging the oceans with all the nuclear testing and toxic waste dumping in areas that are not regulated. We just might need the rain forests for oxygen some day.

Smiley

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 08:40:00 PM

Methane and Water Vapor are way, way, way more effective greenhouse gasses than CO2, but for whatever reaon CO2 gets all the bad press.  Meanwhile, the world's forests grows as measure by sattelite far outpace the predictions of the past century due to increased CO2 in the atmosphere.

http://www.co2science.org/subject/f/summaries/forests.php

There's a lot more to atmospheric science than what 99% of the public understand and what is reported on main stream media outlets.

But I suspect the tropical forests will soon all die, due to water shortages.  This sort of thing can't continue for long -

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-majority-of-earths-potable-water-trapped-in,38356/
lophie

Activity: 924

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
April 03, 2015, 08:50:51 PM

Try this, Maybe you guys will have a different prospective

George Carlin - "The Planet is fine, the people are fucked!"

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
(oYo)

Activity: 476

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2015, 09:03:29 PM

Try this, Maybe you guys will have a different prospective

George Carlin - "The Planet is fine, the people are fucked!"

LOL, ya, I love Carlin. We shouldn't be trying to save anything, but what we really need to stop doing is destroying everything.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: