Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:39:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cases of members with massive positive Trust that ended up scamming?  (Read 1991 times)
Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:16:49 AM

TradeFortress, I lost there too. The scam was worth almost 6-7k Bitcoins.

He is now here with the name $username. He probably has the biggest negative trust in Bitcointalk.

No , I don't think . These two users have the biggest negative trust here in the forum :

- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=44366
- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=8198

BFL, I should've thought of that.
Whats eclipse mining? (the 2nd one)

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:20:01 AM

TradeFortress, I lost there too. The scam was worth almost 6-7k Bitcoins.

He is now here with the name $username. He probably has the biggest negative trust in Bitcointalk.

No , I don't think . These two users have the biggest negative trust here in the forum :

- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=44366
- https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=8198

BFL, I should've thought of that.
Whats eclipse mining? (the 2nd one)

I  think it is (was) a mining pool for bitcoin affiliated with BFL.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12985

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:20:05 AM

I thought about this a lot when designing the Trust system, but unfortunately there just isn't any way to protect against long-term con men. If someone sets out with the goal of building up trust for several years and then pulling a massive scam, and if he's skilled at hiding his true intentions, I don't think that anything will stop him. You just have to try to minimize the risk and impact of getting scammed by such people.

An important point of increased risk is when trusted people start aggregating BTC from a lot of people. For example, TradeFortess had tons of successful trades, some very large, but through inputs.io he could scam hundreds of people at once. And each inputs.io user was probably thinking, "TF has handled thousands of bitcoins at once without problems -- there's no way he'd steal my measly 0.5 BTC." But since he can steal from many people at once, the scam becomes worthwhile. (I'm assuming here that TF stole user deposits, which I am still not completely sure about.)

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
LOBSTER

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 11:32:38 AM

I thought about this a lot when designing the Trust system, but unfortunately there just isn't any way to protect against long-term con men. If someone sets out with the goal of building up trust for several years and then pulling a massive scam, and if he's skilled at hiding his true intentions, I don't think that anything will stop him. You just have to try to minimize the risk and impact of getting scammed by such people.

An important point of increased risk is when trusted people start aggregating BTC from a lot of people. For example, TradeFortess had tons of successful trades, some very large, but through inputs.io he could scam hundreds of people at once. And each inputs.io user was probably thinking, "TF has handled thousands of bitcoins at once without problems -- there's no way he'd steal my measly 0.5 BTC." But since he can steal from many people at once, the scam becomes worthwhile. (I'm assuming here that TF stole user deposits, which I am still not completely sure about.)

Yes he stole user deposits. I think you are quite right. The WWW is the perfect place for crime, there is no skill required to hide your identity (TOR) so we have to use more multi sig escrow!
siameze
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:47:59 PM

Yes he stole user deposits. I think you are quite right. The WWW is the perfect place for crime, there is no skill required to hide your identity (TOR) so we have to use more multi sig escrow!

I agree multi sig escrow would solve a lot of the issues. Getting everyone to use it seems to be the only issue at this time.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 09:58:01 PM

I agree multi sig escrow would solve a lot of the issues. Getting everyone to use it seems to be the only issue at this time.

If a scheme has a trusted owner, it never means it's safe to invest in it. It's better to have a system in place to prevent abuse, hack or theft.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:51:43 PM

I don't think this is so much a flaw in the trust system that it is a flaw in how people tend to trust others.
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 11:37:53 PM

I really appreciate you sharing your thinking when you designed the trust system.  I worry more about someone buying or hacking a trusted member's account rather than being part of a really long con.  It also seems like the key "hurdle" is making it onto the default trust list.

As to TF I got some of my first bitcents by participating in his coinchat and am still shaking my head over the "hack."

I am still impressed dooglus didn't run with the huge Just Dice bankroll or scam his investors in a more subtle way.  It's why he's the most trusted anonymous person in my book.

Thanks again for commenting.
Minnlo

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 10:04:15 AM

Even with multisig escrow, you will still need to trust the escrow to some degree.
You could still lose your bitcoin if the escrow is the same person as the counterparty, or if the escrow and counterpart collude to share the bitcoin.

Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 06:55:22 AM

To follow DiamondCardz's post:
The breaking point is incalculable by anyone but themselves. I can tell you that mine is $20 million, but you don't have to believe me. So don't. Smiley

To be honest, if we could magically determine our breaking points, I bet that'd make a nice log graph. How many of us would be on the top of the chart compared to the bottom? 1 to 1? 1 to 2? 1 to 10? ....1 to 1,000?

If there's an afterlife, I better see that damn chart. Grin
screwUdriver

Activity: 346
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:00:28 AM

The breaking point is incalculable by anyone but themselves. I can tell you that mine is $20 million, but you don't have to believe me. So don't. Smiley

To be honest, if we could magically determine our breaking points, I bet that'd make a nice log graph. How many of us would be on the top of the chart compared to the bottom? 1 to 1? 1 to 2? 1 to 10? ....1 to 1,000?

I would say that a person's breaking point will change over time as they are trusted with more (or less) funds. For example if someone is entrusted with $10,000 then if they were trusted with $50,000 they would run away, however after being trusted with $10,000 for several months, they might not even flinch at the idea of being trusted with $50,000 and when someone does trust them with as much for several months their breaking point would likely increase
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:29:10 AM

I would say that a person's breaking point will change over time as they are trusted with more (or less) funds. For example if someone is entrusted with $10,000 then if they were trusted with $50,000 they would run away, however after being trusted with $10,000 for several months, they might not even flinch at the idea of being trusted with $50,000 and when someone does trust them with as much for several months their breaking point would likely increase

That's a good point. Because then it makes more sense from a financial perspective to not steal that $10,000.

If a person had $1, then it would be very difficult for her to earn $10,000 with that money. However, if she is entrusted with $10,000 through the course of doing business (for example, receiving a web design contract), then obviously she would want to make good on her end of the deal so that she can earn more business in the future.
screwUdriver

Activity: 346
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:48:33 AM

That's a good point. Because then it makes more sense from a financial perspective to not steal that $10,000.

If a person had $1, then it would be very difficult for her to earn $10,000 with that money. However, if she is entrusted with $10,000 through the course of doing business (for example, receiving a web design contract), then obviously she would want to make good on her end of the deal so that she can earn more business in the future.
Right. As people obviously do not do things for free, handling others' money will earn them some kind of income and the more trustworthy they can prove to be the more they can command for handling someone elses money.
boumalo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 04:22:09 PM

When you know someone very well, you can make a more reliable assessment of its trustworthiness. If its identity is public or known to many insiders, he is less likely to disappear overnight.

takagari
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 04:40:23 PM

The trust system is flawed, the default list is a joke.
Really You could do a years worth of thousand dollar deals, until someone decides 50k is a good deal, than you scam off.

No way to really know a person.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: