Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:38:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Ways to Explain Bitcoin to Your Friends  (Read 835 times)
Aggressor66 (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 01:32:43 PM

For us, true Bitcoin fanatics, explaining Bitcoin to the friends can be challenging and often as effective as talking to a wall. Here are 5 ways that could help you thrive if you are looking to turn your fellows to Bitcoin lovers:

1. It’s money, but on the Internet!
The easiest way to explain it is by referring to Bitcoin as “Internet money” that has no physical state, and every transaction is processed using an Internet connection.

2. You are your own bank.
Bitcoin is a digital currency that does not require keeping your funds in a bank account. Your Bitcoins are kept securely in a wallet stored on your computer, however, there are also online wallets that are more secure that do not require downloading.

3. The future is now!
An average Bitcoin enthusiast would explain Bitcoin with the freedom of transaction and anonymity in a currency. Want to go to a different country without ridiculous travel fees? Bitcoin allows you to do so. Annoyed with having to keep track of endless debit/ credit cards? With Bitcoin all you need to remember is your wallet password.

4. Give your friends paper wallets.
More of an ideal way to introduce friends into Bitcoin is by making them figure it out alone. You could hand out paper wallets containing a simple dollar or two with a few easy to understand instructions on where/ how they can use Bitcoin. Watching them be the person to ask every store if they accept Bitcoin or not would be better for a change.

5. The traditional way that leads to puzzled faces and ultimate confusion.
Bitcoin is a peer to peer decentralized digital currency. The transactions are instant, and there are zero to low processing fees. Transactions are processed by miners. Miners confirm waiting transactions, included in the block chain which then enforces a chronological order. The block chain allows Bitcoin wallets to calculate their spendable balance and new transactions can be confirmed as spendable Bitcoins. Wallets work similar to Internet banking but are much easier to use.

There’s still plenty of room on the ways to give a reason for Bitcoin to common people. Hopefully, the listed ones will help you while cryptocurrency will become a mainstream.
faince222

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 03:06:36 PM

Good Guide, I appreciate it so much ! Maybe at the next meeting I'll try to introduce bitcoin to my friends in this way Smiley Thank you, If I allow, I'll copy this Smiley
Aggressor66 (OP)

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 06:19:33 PM

Good Guide, I appreciate it so much ! Maybe at the next meeting I'll try to introduce bitcoin to my friends in this way Smiley Thank you, If I allow, I'll copy this Smiley

Wink
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 06:27:40 PM

Sell it the way modern media sells everything. Make the person want to find out more and start using it. Tell them it's been statistically proven by world renound scientists that they will lose weight, be more attractive and get laid more if they use Bitcoin. Most people are too lazy to research anything so if you can deliver a convincing pitch they'll believe it.

bornil267645

Activity: 406

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 06:57:21 PM

Well that's a very through description, mind to keep it brief.

toddtervy

Activity: 420

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 08:04:43 PM

I've seen some videos/ threads on this in the past, I think they had some good ideas that would still apply.

Get off my c@ck !
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 08:33:41 PM

good start. i would add this after some time:

6. It’s not money for the internet, it is the internet of money

Wink

bitcoin1992

Activity: 342

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 06:15:24 AM

What is Bitcoin for dummies - A simple explanation
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTxmR0n6sCc
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:32:26 AM

For us, true Bitcoin fanatics, explaining Bitcoin to the friends can be challenging and often as effective as talking to a wall. Here are 5 ways that could help you thrive if you are looking to turn your fellows to Bitcoin lovers:

The easiest way to explain it is by referring to Bitcoin as “Internet money” that has no physical state, and every transaction is processed using an Internet connection.

Bitcoin is a digital currency that does not require keeping your funds in a bank account. Your Bitcoins are kept securely in a wallet stored on your computer, however, there are also online wallets that are more secure that do not require downloading.

3. The future is now!
An average Bitcoin enthusiast would explain Bitcoin with the freedom of transaction and anonymity in a currency. Want to go to a different country without ridiculous travel fees? Bitcoin allows you to do so. Annoyed with having to keep track of endless debit/ credit cards? With Bitcoin all you need to remember is your wallet password.

More of an ideal way to introduce friends into Bitcoin is by making them figure it out alone. You could hand out paper wallets containing a simple dollar or two with a few easy to understand instructions on where/ how they can use Bitcoin. Watching them be the person to ask every store if they accept Bitcoin or not would be better for a change.

Bitcoin is a peer to peer decentralized digital currency. The transactions are instant, and there are zero to low processing fees. Transactions are processed by miners. Miners confirm waiting transactions, included in the block chain which then enforces a chronological order. The block chain allows Bitcoin wallets to calculate their spendable balance and new transactions can be confirmed as spendable Bitcoins. Wallets work similar to Internet banking but are much easier to use.

There’s still plenty of room on the ways to give a reason for Bitcoin to common people. Hopefully, the listed ones will help you while cryptocurrency will become a mainstream.

Very good explanation, thank you for this!
But, for average people the most important point is what they can do with Bitcoin, where they can spend it?
If ''big'' merchants don't accept bitcoin soon, and if average user will not see where he/she can spend it, I don't think they will be interesting in bitcoin.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
Nikinger

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 11:02:25 AM

For us, true Bitcoin fanatics, explaining Bitcoin to the friends can be challenging and often as effective as talking to a wall.
indeed

Good.

The naysayer would say: If I pile my cash at home, then I'm my own bank too while both methods poses the risk of theft or getting worthless.

My say: He's partially right. An avarge user can't secure his computer properly, thinking it's enough to install a colorful looking anti virus kit. Even Trezor won't help if the victim is too prone to social engineering. I know some peoples who can't even join two pictures with mspaint because they feel it's too complicated to them.

3. The future is now!
An average Bitcoin enthusiast would explain Bitcoin with the freedom of transaction and anonymity in a currency. ... Annoyed with having to keep track of endless debit/ credit cards?
Ok, but anonymity is an argument against bitcoin too. The avarge user says, anonymity is only for people who has to hide something from the eyes of the goverments.

Good.

Good, except:
Wallets work similar to Internet banking but are much easier to use.
No, you have to care yourself about security and that's some work to be done. See point 2.

Thanks anyway, there are some good points to start with.

1EwKrY5Bn3T47r4tYqSv6mMQkUyu7hZckV
anneke

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 11:05:01 AM

Good work you've done.

It's a very good explanation and very clear.

Thanks .
irfan_pak10
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1654

Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 11:18:37 AM

Waoo that's a nice explanation. Its really helpful for me. Because I was searching for that type of material so that i can tell my friends about btc.

Thanks again. Really appreciating work

█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████
██████▀███████████▀██████
█████▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████
██████▄███████████▄██████
█████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████████████████████

CRYPTO WEBNEOBANK    
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄██████░░░░░░░░░░███▄
▄████▄▄███████▄▄░░░██▄
▄█████████████████░░░██▄
████░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░██
████░░██████████░░░░░░░██
████░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░██
▀█████████████████░░░██▀
▀████▀▀███████▀▀░░░██▀
▀██████░░░░░░░░░░███▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
krunox123

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

I don't bite.

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 11:22:29 AM

I once give my friend a paper wallet containing 0.1BTC.
Few days later, he manage to make that 0.1BTC I gave to him to 1BTC.

I was like, "Shocked".

Life sucks.
Sam the Man

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 06:03:50 PM

Try explaining it to grandparents.... thats the real challenge xD
BlindMayorBitcorn
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 06:11:16 PM

Me: Ok go to a BTM and pay a ridiculous premium for coins that will drop in value tomorrow.
Guy: I thought we were friends, Herp??

Forgive my petulance and oft-times, I fear, ill-founded criticisms, and forgive me that I have, by this time, made your eyes and head ache with my long letter. But I cannot forgo hastily the pleasure and pride of thus conversing with you.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 06:36:01 PM

That is a very good guide.

It will come in handy if I have friends who do not know much about bitcoin but still want to learn more. You have some good analogies in your post which I can use to explain the concept of cryptocurrency. Thank you very much!
Aggressor66 (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:20:44 PM

Try explaining it to grandparents.... thats the real challenge xD

aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:31:37 PM

It is not an age issue. Look deeper than the myths, preconceptions and stereotypes.

Sam the Man

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 08:56:01 PM

Brilliant aggressor Cheesy
Aggressor66 (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 09:03:45 PM

Brilliant aggressor Cheesy