Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:35:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winklevoss ETF update, what does this mean?  (Read 9515 times)
Vessko

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:19:34 AM

This is correct, however investors in COIN are going to be effectively be investing in bitcoin as they will own a trust that owns bitcoin. Additionally the trust (and trustees) should be (IMO) considered to be trustworthy and it is possible to exchange shares in the trust for actual bitcoin (and vice versa)

Exactly. They will have to own the corresponding amount of BTC, or the ETF will fail to track the BTC price (minus expenses). The gold bugs keep harping that "GLD doesn't own any gold" but the fact that GLD has done such an admirable job of tracking the gold price is a proof that it indeed does own the gold it claims to own.

They can also make COIN even more transparent by publishing the public keys of their BTC accounts, so that anyone can verify on the blockchain that they indeed own the BTC they claim to own. (GLD publishes the registration numbers of the gold bars it owns, for instance, but this would be even better).

Will it make the price of BTC go up? Unlikely. However, it should increase the liquidity and might stabilize the price (i.e., reduce the volatility) a bit.
gog1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:26:18 AM

I don't think this is news at all.  Seems just some guy rehash some old story.

On the NASDAQ link, status is -> "Filed (7/1/2013)"; under the financials & filings tab, last filing is from Jul 1 of 2014.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:43:32 AM

What if twins' coins were hacked? This is the single biggest risk that needs to be addressed  Grin

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 03:02:03 PM

This is correct, however investors in COIN are going to be effectively be investing in bitcoin as they will own a trust that owns bitcoin. Additionally the trust (and trustees) should be (IMO) considered to be trustworthy and it is possible to exchange shares in the trust for actual bitcoin (and vice versa)

aha ...  Grin ... so, in real world, you can exchange ETF gold bond for physical gold ?  Cheesy At the same price ... ? (trap)

Roll Eyes
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 04:48:03 PM

What if twins' coins were hacked? This is the single biggest risk that needs to be addressed  Grin

I would hope that the SEC would require that they've acquired some sort of insurance against losses in order to get approval.  Anyone that considers investing in their ETF certainly should verify whether or not they are insured against such theft when determining their risk exposure.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4501

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 05:09:52 PM

I don't think this is news at all.  Seems just some guy rehash some old story.

On the NASDAQ link, status is -> "Filed (7/1/2013)"; under the financials & filings tab, last filing is from Jul 1 of 2014.

they refiled on the 30th of december 2014..
http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/ipos/filing.ashx?filingid=9924446

but still unsure when their nasdaq shares will actually be open to the public as thats the only question on people minds

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 05:13:44 PM

aha ...  Grin ... so, in real world, you can exchange ETF gold bond for physical gold ?  Cheesy At the same price ... ? (trap)

Roll Eyes

how it works is that any WHALE investor can grab 10k of bitcoins and put them into the winklevoss trust as a basket. this basket then represents 50,000 shares (obviously a 0.2btc value per share).

the public can then buy those shares in any amount they want, small or large. and obviously sell shares on again.

anyone with 50,000 shares can ask to transfer the shares back to bitcoin and take that basket out of the trust.

what no on can do is own just 5 shares and request 1 bitcoin to be taken out of the basket. it has to be the 50,000 shares to be able to take a basket out of the trust

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
CryptoTrout

Activity: 706

https://twitter.com/CryptoTrout

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 05:19:41 PM

If I remember correctly the original plan was to have a share worth 1/5th of a bitcoin, but with that many shares they must be trying to make a share worth x millibits instead.  Smart move IMO.  Single Bitcoins costing several hundred dollars is a huge psychological barrier for a lot of tech inept investors. 
coa032

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 05:34:03 PM

Is this good or bad? Cheesy
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 05:37:12 PM

If I remember correctly the original plan was to have a share worth 1/5th of a bitcoin, but with that many shares they must be trying to make a share worth x millibits instead.  Smart move IMO.  Single Bitcoins costing several hundred dollars is a huge psychological barrier for a lot of tech inept investors.  

its still a 5th of a bitcoin, they are releasing 1million shares..

if you do the maths, its the 200,000bitcoin that the winklevoss have on multiple times publicised that they have bought in 2012-2013. so i see nothing wrong.
these bitcoin/shares are cut down into 20 blocks of 10,000btc=50,000 shares which they call 'baskets'

other whales are free to purchase 10,000btc from wherever they like and then secure those into the winklevoss trust, to then increase the number of shares available for sell publicly

KenJackson

Activity: 127
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 06:05:18 PM

... investors in COIN are going to be effectively be investing in bitcoin as they will own a trust that owns bitcoin.

Exactly. They will have to own the corresponding amount of BTC, or the ETF will fail to track the BTC price (minus expenses). The gold bugs keep harping that "GLD doesn't own any gold" but the fact that GLD has done such an admirable job of tracking the gold price is a proof that it indeed does own the gold it claims to own.

Proof?  Oh?  The fact that GLD tracks gold doesn't prove it has any gold.  It only proves the manipulators are paying attention and staying active.

But the comparison of COIN to GLD is interesting.  If GLD can sell off the physical gold, as many believe they've done, what would keep COIN from secretly selling off some bitcoin from the fund?  I don't know enough about the blockchain  to know if clever deception can always be caught.

However, it should increase the liquidity and might stabilize the price (i.e., reduce the volatility) a bit.
Liquidity?  Interesting.  The FED's wrongful manipulation by "injecting liquidity" by printing up fresh dollars is one of the problems bitcoin might partially solve.  It seems almost dirty to talk about injecting liquidity in bitcoin.
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:35:35 PM

It is good because they don't sell bitcoins, they sell shares. Basically this means they are offering shares to other investors. In other words, BTC are exchanged for fiat indirectly, when investors buy these shares.

In fact this is done all the time when funds that invest into real estate, gold et cetera, pull in money by selling shares to the public.

Hopefully this happens more often so that BTC becomes more mainstream.

Truth is the new hatespeech.
coa032

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:56:08 PM

It is good because they don't sell bitcoins, they sell shares. Basically this means they are offering shares to other investors. In other words, BTC are exchanged for fiat indirectly, when investors buy these shares.

In fact this is done all the time when funds that invest into real estate, gold et cetera, pull in money by selling shares to the public.

Hopefully this happens more often so that BTC becomes more mainstream.
Yeah, that seems good. Thanks for explanation.
CryptoTrout

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 08:22:10 PM

If I remember correctly the original plan was to have a share worth 1/5th of a bitcoin, but with that many shares they must be trying to make a share worth x millibits instead.  Smart move IMO.  Single Bitcoins costing several hundred dollars is a huge psychological barrier for a lot of tech inept investors.  

i too remembered reading 1 million shares but OPs article says 20.1 million shares
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 09:24:39 PM

i too remembered reading 1 million shares but OPs article says 20.1 million shares

not sure if this helps

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1579346/000119312514058712/d562329ds1a.htm

Grin
CryptoTrout

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2015, 09:40:04 PM

not sure if this helps

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1579346/000119312514058712/d562329ds1a.htm

ahh yes, that does help Smiley

The article is titled poorly, it says 20.1 million shares referring to the outdated evaluation of 1million shares @ $20.1 million last February.   
gog1

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 10:43:37 PM

This thing has dragged on for over 1.5 years.......Not sure when it will ever see the light of day.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 11:14:16 PM

This thing has dragged on for over 1.5 years.......Not sure when it will ever see the light of day.

You can't set up any ETF overnight. It's probably right on schedule.

charlieSeen

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 03:31:40 AM

You can't set up any ETF overnight. It's probably right on schedule.
I remember reading several months ago that it was facing delays, so I would say it is probably somewhat behind schedule (especially considering this is the first news regarding this in months).

Since this is the first ETF they are starting it will take a little bit longer then what companies like Vanguard take to start a new ETF
arklan
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 05:15:47 AM

always enjoy these threads. usually very little new info, but entertaining discussion aplenty. Cheesy

if they ever do actually open this thing and sell shares publicly, it will be very interesting to watch. good for the price, bad? stable, crazy rocket? no idea. but it'll be a fun show.

i don't post much, but this space for rent.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: