Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 12:05:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winklevoss ETF update, what does this mean?  (Read 9515 times)
Mortimer452

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 02:42:14 PM

Keep in mind that total daily trading volume across all crypto-exchanges for all crypto-currencies, on a good day, is only around $50 million, maybe less.

That sounds like a lot, but this is so small it's barely measurable in comparison to the NASDAQ - which easily sees $50 BILLION per day.  This ETF makes Bitcoin easily available to where the BIG MONEY is.  For large institutional investors, dropping $1million or more on medium or high-risk investments is nothing - you do not see this kindof money being thrown around very often on the crypto-exchanges right now.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:15:43 PM

Read this and tell me if you believe Bitcoin will be a sound ETF investment for knowledgable players.

Ways to identify a bad ETF investment

The following four tips can help investors determine whether an ETF is likely to fail:

1. Use caution when selecting ETF products that track narrow market segments; these products are considered risky and therefore require more evaluation.

2. Examine the ETF's trading volume. Volume is a good indicator of liquidity and investors' interest. If the volume is high, the product is typically more liquid.

3. Look at the assets under management, to determine how much money is being managed and to measure the fund's success.

4. Review the ETF's prospectus, to understand what type you are holding. An ETF is like any other investment company and will deliver a prospectus upon request. The prospectus will provide information such as fees and expenses, investment objectives, investment strategies, risks, performance, pricing and other information.

5. Finally, very new or very small ETFs sometimes trade inefficiently, resulting in wide spreads between their buy and sell prices or failure to track their benchmarks accurately. Wait for an ETF to gather at least $100 million in assets before you invest in it.

bitndx

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 03:39:52 PM

Read this and tell me if you believe Bitcoin will be a sound ETF investment for knowledgable players.

The following four tips can help investors determine whether an ETF is likely to fail:

1. Use caution when selecting ETF products that track narrow market segments; these products are considered risky and therefore require more evaluation.

2. Examine the ETF's trading volume. Volume is a good indicator of liquidity and investors' interest. If the volume is high, the product is typically more liquid.

3. Look at the assets under management, to determine how much money is being managed and to measure the fund's success.

4. Review the ETF's prospectus, to understand what type you are holding. An ETF is like any other investment company and will deliver a prospectus upon request. The prospectus will provide information such as fees and expenses, investment objectives, investment strategies, risks, performance, pricing and other information.

5. Finally, very new or very small ETFs sometimes trade inefficiently, resulting in wide spreads between their buy and sell prices or failure to track their benchmarks accurately. Wait for an ETF to gather at least $100 million in assets before you invest in it.

this could describe all of crypto-currency investment....extremely risky. The winklevie are probably(hopefully) targeting people where a mill is a very small percentage of their risk capital. otherwise it will be doomed to fail when small players can't hold it for long and have to sell into the stated inefficient market.
Mortimer452

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 04:28:11 PM

#2 and #5 are about the only ones that really matter - crypto's are always a risky investment (at least right now).  The risk/reward ratio is a factor, but trading volume is going to be what drives whether the big money gets involved.  If COIN is only moving $100k per day in volume, none of the big boys are going to bother screwing with it.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 05:11:33 PM

#2 and #5 are about the only ones that really matter - crypto's are always a risky investment (at least right now).  The risk/reward ratio is a factor, but trading volume is going to be what drives whether the big money gets involved.  If COIN is only moving $100k per day in volume, none of the big boys are going to bother screwing with it.

Agreed, 2 and 5 are the killers.

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 05:44:16 PM

Granted, I don't know too much about investments pushed by pinstriped bandits. However, my impression of the average ETF is that it contains a basket of multiple securities, no? If so, why would a single-security ETF (e.g. COIN) be affected by #5 at all? The effort required to track a single security (e.g. Bitcoin) should be trivial, and therefore very efficient, should it not?

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 05:54:56 PM

Granted, I don't know too much about investments pushed by pinstriped bandits. However, my impression of the average ETF is that it contains a basket of multiple securities, no? If so, why would a single-security ETF (e.g. COIN) be affected by #5 at all? The effort required to track a single security (e.g. Bitcoin) should be trivial, and therefore very efficient, should it not?

You're absolutely right and that's a good point. Classic ETFs are a bundle that together make up an investment category (like "technology") but it doesn't have to be that way. If someone can find a copy of the prospectus we can find out.

Mortimer452

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 06:38:30 PM

#2 and #5 are about the only ones that really matter - crypto's are always a risky investment (at least right now).  The risk/reward ratio is a factor, but trading volume is going to be what drives whether the big money gets involved.  If COIN is only moving $100k per day in volume, none of the big boys are going to bother screwing with it.

I believe this has more to do with internal management of the fund than anything.  Basically, how efficient & fast they are at fulfilling orders and reacting to price fluctuations in whatever they are benchmarking.  When you are day trading (or bot-trading) and seconds matter, this comes into play.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:05:22 PM

Well, here it is and it looks like Bitcoin all by itself.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1579346/000119312514457552/d721187ds1a.htm

"The Shares will consist of Bitcoin deposits"  This ain't no S&P 500 index ETF. They're fucked. lol

jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:27:31 PM

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1579346/000119312514457552/d721187ds1a.htm

"The Shares will consist of Bitcoin deposits"  This ain't no S&P 500 index ETF. They're fucked. lol

I don't get it. Who is fucked? The investors? The Winklevii? Those who do not invest? The SEC? The pinstriped bandits? Please clue me in.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Guido
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:29:39 PM

nice find
cheers for link

what is your feeling about this etf? will it be allowed? will it be a flop?

I am Bonkers BTW
Crypto OG
        +
Digital Artist
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:37:47 PM

I don't get it. Who is fucked? The investors? The Winklevii? Those who do not invest? The SEC? The pinstriped bandits? Please clue me in.

The Winkleiidouches. lol

Mortimer452

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:40:04 PM

Uhm, I think that is the point - an exchange-traded fund (ETF) that is tied solely to the price of Bitcoin.  What were you expecting?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:40:54 PM

nice find
cheers for link

what is your feeling about this etf? will it be allowed? will it be a flop?

My opinion is that, if they get it through the system and get it listed it will be an enormous flop. I wonder how much of Zuckerberg's money they have jacked off between this and their BitInstant investment. ROFL

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 07:41:57 PM

Uhm, I think that is the point - an exchange-traded fund (ETF) that is tied solely to the price of Bitcoin.  What were you expecting?

Read up the thread. I was responding to jbreher.

mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:43:17 PM

My opinion is that, if they get it through the system and get it listed it will be an enormous flop.

Care to explain why?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 08:46:47 PM

My opinion is that, if they get it through the system and get it listed it will be an enormous flop.

Care to explain why?

Tooooooo risky. Did you read the prospectus? If I was risking client money, I think I would risk their money on Somali oil reserves before this ETF.

Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 10:51:43 PM

Care to explain why?

Tooooooo risky. Did you read the prospectus? If I was risking client money, I think I would risk their money on Somali oil reserves before this ETF.

Nahh man.. you're so wrong on so many fronts its crazy.. First Somali oil..... Really??   Grin

Also.. why would you not want the shares backed buy actual coin? what should it be backed by?? Promises?  HAHA.. Fedreserve anyone??

The winkidouch may not be the sharpest tools in the shed but they've got their shit on lock down with it comes to this ETF. and I can assure you it will be no FLOP..

Wanna make a "small" bet with me as to if its a flop or a success upon launch?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2015, 11:49:19 PM

Care to explain why?

Nahh man.. you're so wrong on so many fronts its crazy.. First Somali oil..... Really??   Grin

Also.. why would you not want the shares backed buy actual coin? what should it be backed by?? Promises?  HAHA.. Fedreserve anyone??

The winkidouch may not be the sharpest tools in the shed but they've got their shit on lock down with it comes to this ETF. and I can assure you it will be no FLOP..

Wanna make a "small" bet with me as to if its a flop or a success upon launch?

You don't really know what an ETF is do you Bob. lol

Mortimer452

View Profile
January 07, 2015, 12:02:33 AM

Care to explain why?

Meh, no riskier than plenty of other options out there, that are already doing $millions in trades every day.  Institutions will buy what their clients want.  If they want a high risk/reward investment option, COIN is likely to be on that list.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: