Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 11:16:10 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VIDEO: Breadwallet Review - Best Bitcoin App In 2014? More Secure Then Trezor?  (Read 1281 times)
Tai Zen (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 03:54:58 PM

I have also argued that the biggest obstacle to mainstream adoption of bitcoin (in addition to SECURITY) is SIMPLICITY and USER FRIENDLINESS...

Henry Ford (or someone famous) once said that... people hate to THINK...

If people have to think and figure out how to download, install and use bitcoins... it will be very difficult to gain mainstream adoption.

The solution?

I recently got introduced to the first iOS native bitcoin app for the iPhone by my buddy Leon Fu.  It is called Breadwallet and developed by Aaron Voisine.

Leon and I kickback and do a comprehensive review about this innovative app:

http://prisonorfreedom.com/ios-native-bitcoin-breadwallet-comprehensive-review-testing/

We believe this to be one of the greatest innovations in 2014 to help gain mainstream adoption of bitcoin.

I learned a lot about bitcoin while interviewing Leon for this video and i hope you benefit from it as well.

Let me know what you guys think.

Enjoy!
Tai Zen

Founder of www.PrisonOrFreedom.com | BTC: 19HHZ1yEimKUYVFM9TkXqd9xwM54jSFrmc | LTC:  LTA99422wieqR1MfWeNxZU5xAsESE9MzW7 | NXT:  17225446755425423638
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 04:36:13 PM

I had to laugh when I read the title "More Secure Then Trezor?"   Tongue

Come on man, you can't be serious.  Anything that's on a mobile device or phone can be hacked.

No different from Green Address or Hive or Mycellium etc...as long as there's a hot or internet connection on a device, there's always that threat.

Trezor, Ledger, and of course the ole trusted paper wallet can never be beat when it comes to security.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
reRaise

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 06:52:15 PM

I have also argued that the biggest obstacle to mainstream adoption of bitcoin (in addition to SECURITY) is SIMPLICITY and USER FRIENDLINESS...

That's Gems for ya http://www.coindesk.com/gems-bitcoin-app-lets-users-earn-money-social-messaging/

Release date very soon
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
December 31, 2014, 07:20:22 PM
Last edit: December 31, 2014, 08:07:06 PM by voisine

Thanks Tai, your review is greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't claim breadwallet is more secure than a dedicated hardware wallet. iOS is a lot more complex and so has a larger "attack surface" than a hardware wallet. There are some advantages though as I mentioned, primarily that payment requests can be validated using payment protocol right on the malware hardened device. The current generation of hardware wallets have to trust a host system to do that. So each approach has its benefits and risks.

@ChuckBuck breadwallet connects directly to the Bitcoin network, so not in the same class as the server trusting iOS wallets you mention.
Tai Zen (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 07:49:09 PM

@voisine - Thanks for the clarification.

Tai Zen

Founder of www.PrisonOrFreedom.com | BTC: 19HHZ1yEimKUYVFM9TkXqd9xwM54jSFrmc | LTC:  LTA99422wieqR1MfWeNxZU5xAsESE9MzW7 | NXT:  17225446755425423638
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2014, 08:17:35 PM

Thanks Tai, your review is greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't claim breadwallet is more secure than a dedicated hardware wallet. iOS is a lot more complex and so has a larger "attack surface" than a hardware wallet. There are some advantages though as I mentioned, primarily that payment requests can be validated using payment protocol right on the malware hardened device. The current generation of hardware wallets have to trust a host system to do that. So each approach has its benefits and risks.

@ChuckBuck breadwallet connects directly to the Bitcoin network, so not in the same class as the server trusting iOS wallets you mention.

I understand that part, but what if the user wants to jailbreak his iPhone, like so many like to do due to Apple's walled off ecosystem.  What then?

Just because you developed this app to directly talk to the Blockchain, and not to a centralized server, doesn't mean your coins aren't still in jeopardy.

Ever hear of dropoutjeep?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/12/30/the-nsa-reportedly-has-total-access-to-your-iphone/

Now I'm not saying the NSA will steal your breadwallet Bitcoin stash, but I'm inferring, as long as the mobile device connects online, there's always a chance for a backdoor hack.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
voisine

Activity: 115
Merit: 19

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 08:55:58 PM

I understand that part, but what if the user wants to jailbreak his iPhone, like so many like to do due to Apple's walled off ecosystem.  What then?

The app detects jailbreaks and warns the user that their device security has been compromised on every launch.

Ever hear of dropoutjeep?

dropoutjeep only worked on iPhone 4 and older devices and required physical device access

I agree nothing is 100% secure, but iPhone is a very secure option. You have to weigh the chance of a remote exploit that doesn't trigger a secure enclave wipe against the chance of user error that results in loss from a more complex scheme.
Tai Zen (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 11, 2015, 04:03:26 PM

I still believe the Breadwallet will be a huge game changer this year in bitcoin due to it's ease and simplicity.

Tai Zen

errornone

Activity: 98

error

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 12:50:43 PM

I actually consider breadwallet as secure as trezor and even easier to work with.

Trezor relies on websites, browsers, java, cables to connect with, desktop OS's, etc etc. Too much confusion, too much work, too much trouble... And one more gadget to care about... nahhh.

Breadwallet is beautifully simple to work with and secure.

error
errornone

Activity: 98

error

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:31:00 PM

After seeing the video from prisonorfreedom, i noticed one thing:

They do 2 transactions:

10000 bits without fees

And then:

5000 bits with 100bits fee, from the first 10000bits

What if the second transaction (5000bits) is confirmed before the first one (10000bits) ??

Let's suppose:

5000bits gets 6 confirmations after an hour. And then the guy pays to another 2 merchants - 400bits and 1200bits. The first transaction is still with ZERO confirmations at this time.

What if the first transaction (10000bits) gets rejected at this time? Double spend or other reason....
What happens to the money received my merchants (400bits and 1200bits) and the 5000bits transaction? All nulled?

error
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: