Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:53:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ironically, the best way (for the bitcoin ecosystem) to spend your bitcoins is..  (Read 1833 times)
needFREElunch

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

Hi

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 09:39:58 AM

So, we all know that with merchant acceptance and people using bitcoin more, the price goes down because most of the merchants convert (sell) the bitcoin to fiat at the moment of the purchase.

However, there's a way to avoid a sell-order when using your bitcoin to purchase things: using services like PurseIO or Brawker!

Therefore, ironically enough, the best way (for the bitcoin ecosystem) to spend your bitcoin, is using it with merchants that still don't support it... Sad

I wonder if there could be a way to convince BitPay to implement the best of both worlds here? Whenever a purchase is made, don't put an immediate-sell order on the market, but just place a bid (offering the customer a small discount in exchange for a small delay to confirm the transaction maybe?).

The best thing for bitcoin price may not necessarily be the best thing for Bitcoin.
Merchants who accept bitcoin may negatively impact bitcoins' price in the short term (if they convert it to fiat), but they are good for Bitcoin in the long term.
I would disagree. You need to get the bitcoin that you spend on goods/services with a merchant from somewhere. As you spend more and more bitcoin you will eventually need to buy bitcoin on an exchange which would result in buying pressure

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Chainmaker

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 11:20:52 AM

Ironically, the best way (for the bitcoin ecosystem) to spend your bitcoins is.......

give it to me.  I think I can make it work for us!

If it can be digitized, it should be decentralized
knocte (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:19:50 PM

Ironically, the best way (for the bitcoin ecosystem) to spend your bitcoins is.......

give it to me.  I think I can make it work for us!

spend != donate
knocte (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:20:59 PM

So, we all know that with merchant acceptance and people using bitcoin more, the price goes down because most of the merchants convert (sell) the bitcoin to fiat at the moment of the purchase.

However, there's a way to avoid a sell-order when using your bitcoin to purchase things: using services like PurseIO or Brawker!

Therefore, ironically enough, the best way (for the bitcoin ecosystem) to spend your bitcoin, is using it with merchants that still don't support it... Sad

I wonder if there could be a way to convince BitPay to implement the best of both worlds here? Whenever a purchase is made, don't put an immediate-sell order on the market, but just place a bid (offering the customer a small discount in exchange for a small delay to confirm the transaction maybe?).

The best thing for bitcoin price may not necessarily be the best thing for Bitcoin.
Merchants who accept bitcoin may negatively impact bitcoins' price in the short term (if they convert it to fiat), but they are good for Bitcoin in the long term.

That's a good point. However, one of the best ways to raise bitcoin awareness is, unfortunately, btc value being higher.
AnonBitCoiner

Activity: 1386
Merit: 326

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2015, 05:43:35 AM

That's a good point. However, one of the best ways to raise bitcoin awareness is, unfortunately, btc value being higher.

That's like the "need experience for job" && "need job for experience" conundrum...

I'm really interested in seeing how it'll change in the coming years.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀