Bitcoin Forum
July 24, 2024, 12:25:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Outdated wallet?  (Read 689 times)
alamanjani (OP)

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 03:49:27 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2015, 04:22:36 PM by alamanjani

I have Core wallet that I created sometime in 2013. Now I'm wondering if it is outdated and how to update it.
I haven't used it for last two years and I have only little change on it anyway, but just curious how to proceed.

Since I can't upload the picture directly from my computer I will describe the 'about' part:

Bitcoin version v0.8.0-beta;  Copyright 2009-2013
Qt version 4.8.3.  Copyright 2012 Nokia - Qt is a Nokia product, see qt.nokia.com

I tried to go to qt.nokia.com and site does not exist any more. There is no 'update' button available.

What would be your next step?

I was thinking to just set up Electra wallet and move that little change I have over to Electra wallet. What would you do?  Huh

Or, since I have already downloaded whole Blockchain data on my computer (don't know where it really is though) through this core wallet, can I just download new core wallet that is not outdated? Would new core wallet knows where my Blockchain data on my computer is and start using it automatically? As you can see from my questions, I'm clueless....

Ala

Domino

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 04:07:18 PM

If you want to download the latest version of bitcoin core, you should only download it from the official page https://bitcoin.org/en/download

Before you install the new version, make a copy of your wallet.dat to your USB just in case something terrible happens during the process.

alamanjani (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 04:25:47 PM

Before you install the new version, make a copy of your wallet.dat to your USB just in case something terrible happens during the process.

Thank you! Will create a backup and then download and install wallet as you suggested. I'm assuming it will overwrite the old one? And take over already downloaded Blockchain info? Well I can try and see :-)

Domino

Activity: 662
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 04:30:01 PM

Thank you! Will create a backup and then download and install wallet as you suggested. I'm assuming it will overwrite the old one? And take over already downloaded Blockchain info? Well I can try and see :-)

The installation shouldn't overwrite your wallet file, but it is always better safe than sorry. Smiley

mizna

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 04:38:10 PM

cool i get lot of info from this forum
i get this problem too
thanks for info  Smiley

alamanjani (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 05:39:59 PM

The installation shouldn't overwrite your wallet file, but it is always better safe than sorry. Smiley

Yes, I mean't new wallet will take over the old one, or to say it differently, old wallet will become current.
I found out where my block chain info is and I'm backing it up now also (over 30 gig lol) then I will install new wallet. 

After that I think I will install Electrum. I like idea of having one single wallet for several electronic devices such as Windows, Linux and Android Tablet. For now I'm just playing with the whole crypto currency thingie and I think Electrum will be perfect for this...

alamanjani (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2015, 07:24:02 PM

Worked like a charm, thank you!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: