Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:20:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does your Bitcoin App and clients Bitcoin App need to be running to get Patment  (Read 1651 times)
Possum (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 03:48:33 PM

Hi

Does Bitcoin need to be running on both the Payer and Payees computers at the same time for the transaction to work.

Thank you?
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 03:52:26 PM

No.

Only the payer needs internet connection for transmitting the transaction to the network.
Possum (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 11

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 03:57:36 PM

So if I'm off line and someone sends me a Bitcoin I will receive it when I boot up my computer and load the Bitcoin Clinet

Vladimir Marchenko mentions off line Clients. What are these..

Thank you..
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 04:06:37 PM

An address is a hash of a public key, which is derived from a private key. As long as you have the corresponding private key in your wallet, when you start bitcoin any payments sent to your addresses will show up normally (as soon as you download the blocks that contain the transactions).

Think of an address like a post office box, the private key as the key to open it, and running the client as visiting the post office box to see if there's anything inside.
eturnerx

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:21:07 PM

An address is a hash of a public key, which is derived from a private key. As long as you have the corresponding private key in your wallet, when you start bitcoin any payments sent to your addresses will show up normally (as soon as you download the blocks that contain the transactions).
I can confirm that Bitcoin actually does work like this in practise. My computer experienced a big meltdown and I could not run the Bitcoin client for a couple of days. During that time I received a payout from somebody. When I restarted bitcoin that payment showed up once it had enough time to catchup on the block-chain.

While my computer was down, I was able to confirm the payment had been sent by searching for my address on http://blockexplorer.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: