Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:36:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forking coins to have demurrage, to stimulate exchange of these coins  (Read 666 times)
o3u (OP)

Activity: 393
Merit: 250

Money comes, money goes

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 01:33:39 AM

The problem with a lot of altcoins is the large supply, they have one new cool feature, eventually forked in all similar coins, but i have not yet seen demurrage forked into many coins.

It seems to me that reducing supply at an aggressive rate and then steady would motivate circulation of coins, and probably give a nice steady rise to them. This would work well for coins that are actually useful and used.

Thoughts?
o3u (OP)

Activity: 393
Merit: 250

Money comes, money goes

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 01:34:28 AM

http://freico.in/ is one demurrage coin example
tokyoghetto
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 02:05:23 AM

I agree. this is one problem with high interest PoS coins. demurrage would change the dynamics of the coin and make it more suitable for trading. If the supply is constantly change both ways (increasing/decreasing) then that will allow the value to change as well. If a currency only inflates, then historically the value can only go down.

Imagine if HYP had demurrage, it might have a chance to increase in value, instead of just being hammered lower in price. It will still take market timing and skill to make a profit, but demurrage might make for some interesting price moves.
SockPuppetAccount

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

MiG Messenger - earn while chatting

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 02:12:47 AM

The problem with a lot of altcoins is the large supply, they have one new cool feature, eventually forked in all similar coins, but i have not yet seen demurrage forked into many coins.

It seems to me that reducing supply at an aggressive rate and then steady would motivate circulation of coins, and probably give a nice steady rise to them. This would work well for coins that are actually useful and used.

Thoughts?

See, if the coins are actually useful and used, then you don't need to include demurrage to motivate people to use them.  It seems like an easy system to game too.  Can't you just periodically move your coins to a new address to avoid the demurrage fee?  So we have all these transactions going on but that doesn't translate into real use.

Coin hoarders are always going to exist as long as speculation plays a factor.  Until it gets to the point of seriously harming liquidity, I don't even necessarily see that as a bad thing.  Fact of the matter is though, most of these coins are only good for hoarding and trading.  Give these coins real world uses if you want to see them used more often.

And I don't agree with the statement "The problem with a lot of altcoins is the large supply" if you mean it in the sense like, "OMG, there are 20 billion coins?!?!?!  Too much!".  I never understood people who think like that.  It's all just moving a decimal point around.  A billion coins or 1 coin, it's all the same to me.  Market cap is all that matters.

Now if you mean "The problem with a lot of altcoins is the large supply" as in the problem with altcoins in general being that there are a theoretically infinite number of altcoins that can be created and a limited number of BTC, so in the grand scheme of things all alts trend toward 0, I agree that is a problem.  We can fix that by not supporting scams, shitcoins, and clone coins but that is an increasingly difficult minefield to maneuver these days.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: