Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:13:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hashie - first bitcoin scam of 2015  (Read 2827 times)
K210 (OP)

Activity: 1568
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 02:54:44 PM

over 1000 BTC stolen from 42k people, the scammers seem to never stop

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Zendikar

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 03:11:13 PM

Damn that's a lot, sucks if you had money there.
Warren Buffet

Activity: 132
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 03:13:34 PM

Scammer details has already been identified => http://hashiescam.blogspot.in
rubenelportero

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 03:16:10 PM

Pff, A bad new for the Hashie users... :/. In the world of Bitcoin, people need to be very careful
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 05:12:43 PM

sorry for that. i didnt follow the story. can you give a summary?

i follow the GAW-Scam for some time ...  Roll Eyes

man, when bitcoin will have a market cap of 50 or 100 billions, the scam arround it will be even bigger and we will get more regulation i promise.  Undecided

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 05:16:13 PM

sorry for that. i didnt follow the story. can you give a summary?

i follow the GAW-Scam for some time ...  Roll Eyes

man, when bitcoin will have a market cap of 50 or 100 billions, the scam arround it will be even bigger and we will get more regulation i promise.  Undecided

With bigger market cap, more regulations will be around. So, I assume scams will be lower. Though, instead of all those regulations, we still experience credit card scams.

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 05:36:54 PM

Ouch, another blow for Bitcoin run businesses. Angry

Looks likes besides never seeing profit or ROI with cloud mining, you have to also worry if the operator just up and leaves like a thief in the night with all your coins.

Sucks to be the 42,000, but at the same time guess they didn't read Puppet's cloud mining manifesto...

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=878387.msg9697654#msg9697654

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
micky123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 05:43:45 PM

Really? Hashie too?

Hashprofit also did the same thing, even though they claim they will be back in January, i doubt that they will ever be back. These cloud mining companies are really turning out to be fly-by-night operators. The only trusted one i see, who have been around a bit are CEX. Their fees suck and they do not allow you to point your GHS to any pool except GHash, but hey, they don't seem to be running away! I just sold all my GHS on there at a 90% loss though, because their fees are just too high and my balance had been in negative for over a week. There are far too many scammers in the crypto world and this may be a huge barrier to bitcoin adoption. Hope things get better in the new year !

galbros
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 05:46:21 PM

I tried to find a concise layout of the scam but no luck.  What appears to be their main thread on bitcoin talk mentions giving out frost coins, but that my just be a troll.

If anyone can find a short statement of what has gone down I'd appreciate it.  It does seem that many cloud mining programs were ponzis.  Thanks.
Johny Depp

Activity: 211
Merit: 125

busting the bastards

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 05:57:56 PM

***Public Notice***

Upcoming SCAM

cloudminr.io

Be Careful

I warned people about hashie on November 08, 2014 and they did not listen to me : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=822446.msg9477609#msg9477609

Exposing frauds since 2014
Son0fLamb

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 06:15:23 PM

I tried to find a concise layout of the scam but no luck.  What appears to be their main thread on bitcoin talk mentions giving out frost coins, but that my just be a troll.

If anyone can find a short statement of what has gone down I'd appreciate it.  It does seem that many cloud mining programs were ponzis.  Thanks.

There's a longish article here http://cointelegraph.com/news/113213/cloud-mining-service-hashieco-disappears-with-user-funds-replaces-site-with-arg
Skim through.

What no one seems to want to address is AMHash vouching for hashie.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 06:20:06 PM

when are people going to learn that cloud mining makes no sense and can never be profitable for the end user?

Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 06:21:57 PM

Are we speaking about https://hashie.co/ here ? Serisouly ?
Are you sure about your informations ? because I had some money there and I was mining and didn't get any money scammed or lost or whatever .

galbros
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 06:47:26 PM

I tried to find a concise layout of the scam but no luck.  What appears to be their main thread on bitcoin talk mentions giving out frost coins, but that my just be a troll.

If anyone can find a short statement of what has gone down I'd appreciate it.  It does seem that many cloud mining programs were ponzis.  Thanks.

There's a longish article here http://cointelegraph.com/news/113213/cloud-mining-service-hashieco-disappears-with-user-funds-replaces-site-with-arg
Skim through.

What no one seems to want to address is AMHash vouching for hashie.

Thanks for that article.  It is indeed a weird situation.  I guess it is at least encouraging that scammers are getting better at running with the coins.  First, they were just gone.  Then there would be some effort to explain it away as a hack.  And now users get a cool online game to play now that their coins are gone.

Really interesting.
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 07:00:59 PM

So 42.000 people were using Bitcoin just at one business? That are good news. I thought this numbers are much lower.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 07:10:24 PM

When it comes to giving your money to others, you have to assume they're out to scam you until proven otherwise. Especially if their proposition is to pay you to hold on to your money.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
bearda

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 07:20:47 PM

Are we speaking about https://hashie.co/ here ? Serisouly ?
Are you sure about your informations ? because I had some money there and I was mining and didn't get any money scammed or lost or whatever .

Have you checked in lately?  Not sure if you still had an account there, but I can guarantee you don't have any money there anymore.  Things went bad rather suddenly.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 07:58:55 PM

I've been on Hashie for about a month or two and here's what I saw happen. Basically, a few weeks ago I noticed all my referrals disappeared and I was credited with about 0.02 BTC in my account. I went to the chat and asked what happened, and Hashie (Official) said that they were adding a user as someone's referral via phpmysqladmin and accidentally moved ALL referrals under a single User.

They claim that they compensated the users fairly for the potential future earnings, which tends to drop exponentially after the first purchase. I know, for me personally, that I earned about 0.1 BTC for the 100 or so referrals I generated in about a week. So I felt like I may have been stiffed a bit, but I still had my miners. Hashie allows you to buy miners with your affiliate earnings, which I did (stupidly), instead of taking the straight BTC (should have done).

Since I was only on the site about a week I wasn't too upset that my referrals were deleted. I felt like I could generate a bit more and I did get about 75 GH/s out of it. Fast forward to the past several days, and the site has been offline with that stupid song playing. The site was finally up today, and I have no more miners and 0.5~ Frostcoins that I am earning a pitiful amount of BTC dividends from ( 0.0007 BTC so far), and I can't even withdraw without buying a 50 Gh/s miner.

So yeah, this site might not be a scam, but the Business Owner is a low-life with no morals. Whether you believe in God or Survival of the Fittest, I can't imagine how Angering thousands of people can benefit your situation in Life. You may think you are smart, but you are stuck on this Earth with everyone else.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

allyouracid
Legendary

Activity: 2320
Merit: 1292

Encrypted Money, Baby!

View Profile
January 02, 2015, 09:16:48 PM

I've been on Hashie for about a month or two and here's what I saw happen. Basically, a few weeks ago I noticed all my referrals disappeared and I was credited with about 0.02 BTC in my account. I went to the chat and asked what happened, and Hashie (Official) said that they were adding a user as someone's referral via phpmysqladmin and accidentally moved ALL referrals under a single User.
This is actually quite an alarm bell. Sadly only for those who know a bit about web development and usual procedures which legit companies always implement:
- legit companies have a daily backup of their databases for exactly such cases
- legit companies have a high interest to put up a SQL query to retrieve and restore the "accidentally deleted" referrals from a backup to satisfy their customers

I am really thinking about opening and promoting a thread here on BCT which should help users identifying possible scams based on (technical) replies they got from the site/company in question. It's just impossible to expect every layman to know what replies/excuses are just utter bullshit, or at least arise a high suspicion that the site/company in question might be scam or at least not experienced enough to put up a web service.
Really, I had a lot of cases where I read replies which made my alarm bells ring. To give some examples: this one here, or the blocknet scam, or (an example of a totally inexperienced user who definitely should not set up an online crypto exchange): OpenEx.

People should have the opportunity to report sites to some voluntary web developers who are willing to take a look at the services or excuses/replies from those services. Maybe this can help make crypto a better place and prevent one or another loss, if possible.

I know this reply will vanish with time, but if anyone lacks technical knowledge and could use some help to check if they're being bullshitted by a service: drop me a PM and I'll help where I can.

Don't visit my shitcoin blog: OCOIN.DEV
Use cointracking.info for tax declaration & tracking of your trades!
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2015, 09:20:32 PM

We brought up the backups to the admin, and they said the last back up was too far back and not critical data. I knew that was pretty irresponsible for size and scope of the hashie project, that's why I did not invest any more money after that point.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀