Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:08:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Another BTC Newbie!  (Read 1465 times)
oceancucumber (OP)

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 03:21:43 AM

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for about a month now, so I thought it was high time for me to make an account and start talking to others with similar interests.  I'm a seasoned software engineer, been writing code since the late 90s.  I've recently taken in interest in some fringe technologies like crypto currency and the Tor network.  In an effort to learn about these things, I've been experimenting by creating hidden services (nothing useful yet, just a learning tool), an alt-crypto currency based on Litecoin (another learning tool), and a bitcoin mining pool to start with (it's actually up and running, but no users yet).  I've also been trading crypto currencies on exchanges.  I have to say, I'm really having a blast!  I'd be very interested to hear about the projects that others are working on.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Reynaldo
Legendary

Activity: 1143
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:27:22 AM

You should check: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=12.0

Im planning on setting a full bitcoin node on raspberry pi b+ with an external HDD using Archlinux ARM through tor, and usually im buying/selling some bitcoins here and there.

Perhaps you could offer your services as a programmer on the service area.

I'm looking to have my gambling site ( the project is going slowly since the designer is taking sometime but hey, better later than never) and I sell btc to the locals on my country (Dominican Republic)
oceancucumber (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 06:47:19 AM

Setting up a node on Tor seems pretty interesting.  I'd like to, but my Linux box keeps locking up on me every few days for some reason.  Probably due to Ubuntu 14.10 - didn't have this problem is 14.04.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 07:33:21 AM

Setting up a node on Tor seems pretty interesting.  I'd like to, but my Linux box keeps locking up on me every few days for some reason.  Probably due to Ubuntu 14.10 - didn't have this problem is 14.04.

14.04 is designated as LTS so it's more stable from what little experience I have running WordPress blogs.

I am trying to learn to code because I have always wanted to create things like websites and applications. What languages would you say are the most in demand in today's job market?
toddtervy

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 07:50:21 AM

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking on this forum for about a month now, so I thought it was high time for me to make an account and start talking to others with similar interests.  I'm a seasoned software engineer, been writing code since the late 90s.  I've recently taken in interest in some fringe technologies like crypto currency and the Tor network.  In an effort to learn about these things, I've been experimenting by creating hidden services (nothing useful yet, just a learning tool), an alt-crypto currency based on Litecoin (another learning tool), and a bitcoin mining pool to start with (it's actually up and running, but no users yet).  I've also been trading crypto currencies on exchanges.  I have to say, I'm really having a blast!  I'd be very interested to hear about the projects that others are working on.

Welcome good sir.  We've a good community here, I hope you enjoy it.

Get off my c@ck !
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 10:04:12 AM

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the community sir Cheesy
I also excited about tor network. You can find project about crypto currency on project development section.
MS.drawing

Activity: 42

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:20:56 AM

Hello everyone,

Welcome on btctalk , enjoy it ! Wish you a great experience
Buziss

Activity: 896

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:25:15 AM

Hello everyone,

Welcome to bitcointalk, oceancucumber.

After creating a hidden service, an altcoin, and a mining pool, you may try more complicated projects like gambling sites and exchanges. Smiley

findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 10:34:32 AM

Hello everyone,

Welcome oceancucumber.

I'm running a TOR node as well and I'm looking into running a bitcoin node as well.
Too bad my storage is too small to store the blockchain but I heard that bitcoin version 0.11 might introduce some features which makes it possible to run bitcoin on lower end machines with less storage.

oceancucumber (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 01:23:45 PM

After creating a hidden service, an altcoin, and a mining pool, you may try more complicated projects like gambling sites and exchanges. Smiley

An exchange is actually on my list of projects.  Once I get my plate cleaned off a little, I'll start creating one.
LOBSTER

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 01:37:19 PM

An exchange is actually on my list of projects.  Once I get my plate cleaned off a little, I'll start creating one.

Your own exchange? Sounds great...but it's need huge effort.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 01:38:33 PM

I have my own exchange as well.
You can sell any bitcoin to me for $200 and buy them for $500 if you like Wink
LOBSTER

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 01:40:54 PM

I have my own exchange as well.
You can sell any bitcoin to me for $200 and buy them for $500 if you like Wink

Okay. URL? Cheesy Maybe you have your own exchange in your mind...Grin
oceancucumber (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 03:27:52 PM

I am trying to learn to code because I have always wanted to create things like websites and applications. What languages would you say are the most in demand in today's job market?

It depends on what niche you're trying to get into.  For mobile applications, Android and Blackberry use Java.  iPhone makes use of Objective C and the new Swift language.  For desktop applications Java and C\C++ are always big players.  For general web applications languages such as PHP, Ruby, Python, and Java seem to have a pretty good hold on the market.  When it comes to databases SQL is tried and true, but up and comers like MongoDB (uses JavaScript) and HADOOP (uses PIG and Java) are really hot and will probably land you a high paying gig.
Buziss

Activity: 896

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 05:03:38 PM

Sounds great, but you really need to test it as much as you can if you plan to use it to open a business. I have heard multiple cases of people making tiny mistakes in coding their sites, and losing significant amount of bitcoin.

oceancucumber (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 05:06:28 PM

Sounds great, but you really need to test it as much as you can if you plan to use it to open a business. I have heard multiple cases of people making tiny mistakes in coding their sites, and losing significant amount of bitcoin.

For web applications, I use test driven development with Ruby on Rails.  It's not completely bug-free, but it does help to cut down on the errors like that.
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 05:09:19 PM

Well, creating (another) centralized exchange may be difficult. You have to jump through a ton of hoops due to anti-money-laundering laws in place if you want to host such an exchange. I guess it would be most appreciated if you worked on some kind of open framework that allows people to build new Bitcoin-related applications. There are always people in need of some functionality. I guess multisig applications still are somewhat of the latest craze.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
LOBSTER

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 05:12:42 PM

Well, creating (another) centralized exchange may be difficult. You have to jump through a ton of hoops due to anti-money-laundering laws in place if you want to host such an exchange. I guess it would be most appreciated if you worked on some kind of open framework that allows people to build new Bitcoin-related applications. There are always people in need of some functionality. I guess multisig applications still are somewhat of the latest craze.

Yeah but it's almost impossible to create a decentralized Exchange.
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 06:00:15 PM

Yeah but it's almost impossible to create a decentralized Exchange.

Yeah that's the catch. And to be honest, I know the hardcore Bitcoin proponents don't like centralization in any form, but the exchanges we do have are decent enough... Not perfect, sure, but at least the biggest elephant has left the room for good.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
oceancucumber (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 06:14:03 PM

That's not a bad idea.  What kind of framework are people looking for?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: