Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:43:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is the spread so large?  (Read 2046 times)
RustyShackleford (OP)

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:50:57 PM

If I trade USD/EUR, the spread is usually somewhere between 1 and 3 pips (.0001). Why is the spread on MtGox so much higher, to .01 to .7 or more? What is/are the cause, effects, and remedy (it seems like a bad thing?)

I have no idea myself and and searching for "spread" on the forums did not work out how I had hoped, so sorry if this is a stale topic.

Thoughts? Explanations? Baseless conjecture? Smiley
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Yurock

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 05:56:32 PM

Increase in volume will reduce spread.

Reducing commission fee could reduce spread.

Am I right?
mtbomb

Activity: 21

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 11:19:23 PM

The daily variance of price movement affects the spread people are willing to offer.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 11:27:15 PM

If I trade USD/EUR, the spread is usually somewhere between 1 and 3 pips (.0001). Why is the spread on MtGox so much higher, to .01 to .7 or more? What is/are the cause, effects, and remedy (it seems like a bad thing?)

I have no idea myself and and searching for "spread" on the forums did not work out how I had hoped, so sorry if this is a stale topic.

Thoughts? Explanations? Baseless conjecture? Smiley

The spread is just the difference between the highest bid and the lowest ask that people offer. Generally more participants means those get closer together. The spread on Mtgox has been getting better over time.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FooDSt4mP

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:45:53 AM

The fees are much higher on mtgox.  0.65% of $7 is 4.55 cents. (I know, it's not that high anymore, but we'll be back there eventually, at $5, it's still 3.25 cents)  Add that to both sides, and you have almost a dime.  If the fees were lower, people would narrow the spread to the amount of uncertainty they are comfortable with.  Instead, they quit narrowing once it gets to the point where even if you bid and ask get met, you lose because of fees.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
FooDSt4mP

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:47:32 AM

Also, don't go bitch to MagicalTux (the operator of mtgox)... with the low volume of the exchange, 0.65% is reasonable.  Once the volume is high enough, I bet he'll lower the fees.  However, he has to cover (very high because of DDOS attacks) costs.

As we slide down the banister of life, this is just another splinter in our ass.
tomcollins

Merit: 101

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:48:26 AM

Also, don't go bitch to MagicalTux (the operator of mtgox)... with the low volume of the exchange, 0.65% is reasonable.  Once the volume is high enough, I bet he'll lower the fees.  However, he has to cover (very high because of DDOS attacks) costs.

$60,000/month?
FooDSt4mP

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:59:45 AM
Last edit: May 21, 2011, 03:12:13 AM by yrral86

You're right... that figure is a little high, IMHO, but it is close.  DDOS protection is expensive, but I would think he could probably cover DDOS protection plus his hosting for half that (being very generous).  I don't know about his finances, and I guess he likely paid a pretty penny when he bought MtGox, but maybe a fee decrease would be a reasonable request.  However, if you do want to press the issue, please do it respectfully.  You'll get better results, and MagicalTux works his ass off to keep MtGox running.

RustyShackleford (OP)

Activity: 43

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 02:40:21 AM

So basically more people/volume/trades which will also in turn lower the trade fee, both of which will decrease the spread. Got it, thanks Smiley
Enky1974

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 08:50:48 AM

You're right... that figure is a little high, IMHO, but it is close.  DDOS protection is expensive, but I would think he could probably cover DDOS protection plus his hosting for half that (being very generous).  I don't know about his finances, and I guess he likely paid a pretty penny when he bought MtGox, but maybe a fee decrease would be a reasonable request.  However, if you do want to press the issue, please do it respectfully.  You'll get better results, and MagicalTux works his ass off to keep MtGox running.
100% agree, the fee it's too high and it will not allow a spread reduction because going for small trades will be unprofitable. My bank charges 0.15% as sales fee for example. 0.2% would be fine for mtgox considering the increased trading activity we i've seen so far.

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 09:39:53 AM

This happens whenever there's a big buyer/seller.  The spread gap will close within a day or two.

cabadada

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 12:30:27 AM

Stock exchanges actually give rebates to traders who provide liquidity (those who post orders).  So trader A posts an order for 100 shares, then trader B removes the order.  Trader B pays $0.20, and trader A gets at $0.15 rebate.  Exchange pockets the $0.05.  This keeps spreads extremely tight.  As it stands now, mtgox's charge of 0.65% at $6.5 prices makes providing liquidity only viable at about a $0.10 spread.

http://www.nsx.com/content/nsx-fee-schedule

Along those lines, stock exchanges also are limited to whole penny prices (for most stocks), which prevents a flood of sliver orders one-uping each other.  This sliver pricing happens at lot at mt gox because of the lack of round intervals like whole pennies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_NMS
elewton

Activity: 407

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 12:56:22 AM

Would it be likely that there would be unintended consequences from a lower fee?  Increased profitability of market manipulation, for instance.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: