Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:55:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Instantly gained an option to receive a payment, (no label)  (Read 680 times)
jakkal2012 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 09:18:01 PM

So I downloaded and signed up to Bitcoin, and in the software I already have an option to receive coins from a (no label) address... is this a scam? Phishing attempt? Or is this a normal first introductory payment/incredibly small payment from Bitcoin to verify a user?

I am seriously a total newbie to this, so sorry for sounding stupid in advance.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 09:21:46 PM

So I downloaded and signed up to Bitcoin, and in the software I already have an option to receive coins from a (no label) address... is this a scam? Phishing attempt? Or is this a normal first introductory payment/incredibly small payment from Bitcoin to verify a user?

Haha, it's ok.

The 'receive coins' tab will allow you to view all of your receiving addresses.  Whatever addresses are listed there are the addresses you can give to people to receive coins.  If you click "new address" at the bottom, this will allow you to generate a new receiving address.  

The 'no label' part simply means that you haven't yet labeled the address.  You can change the label to whatever you like.  For example, you might label the address 'Deepbit' if you want to use that address to receive mined coins from the Deepbit pool.  Or, if you want to receive coins from me, you might label it "The Joint."

Try this.  Copy/paste that address here (click on the address, then click on the 'copy to clipboard' button at the bottom, then paste it in a post on this thread), and I'll send you .01 BTC so you can see how it works.  Then edit the label to say "The Joint,"  and if we ever do business in the future, you can simply reuse that same address and send it to me.  This helps you organize all of your different receiving transactions by using a different address for each person/company that you receive coins from.
jakkal2012 (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 09:26:35 PM

Haha, it's ok.

The 'receive coins' tab will allow you to view all of your receiving addresses.  Whatever addresses are listed there are the addresses you can give to people to receive coins.  If you click "new address" at the bottom, this will allow you to generate a new receiving address.  

The 'no label' part simply means that you haven't yet labeled the address.  You can change the label to whatever you like.  For example, you might label the address 'Deepbit' if you want to use that address to receive mined coins from the Deepbit pool.  Or, if you want to receive coins from me, you might label it "The Joint."

Try this.  Copy/paste that address here, and I'll send you .01 BTC so you can see how it works.  Then edit the label to say "The Joint,"  and if we ever do business in the future, you can simply reuse that same address and send it to me.  This helps you organize all of your different receiving transactions by using a different address for each person/company that you receive coins from.

Oh! haha, I see, it's the opposite of what I thought it was... I assumed it was someone giving me money... haha! So signing it would do what exactly? Provide whoever I give that address to some information that I specify? Like my house address?
anddy78

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 09:26:49 PM

Where you downloaded the software? I can't remember, but I think it's ok. If you think it's suspicious, just get a new address or download the software again from the official page.

Available for adverstissing
Please donate 1AnddyB1jyCoWSTEZU9XK1ihdT6LMXbknG
I'm poor, share your happiness ;-)

Pyramining Referrals
http://pyramining.com/referral/3xf4tg9b2
http://pyramining.com/referral/hdf34qy9p
http://pyramining.com/referral/bcp4qe7nh
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 09:36:11 PM

Haha, it's ok.

The 'no label' part simply means that you haven't yet labeled the address.  You can change the label to whatever you like.  For example, you might label the address 'Deepbit' if you want to use that address to receive mined coins from the Deepbit pool.  Or, if you want to receive coins from me, you might label it "The Joint."

Try this.  Copy/paste that address here, and I'll send you .01 BTC so you can see how it works.  Then edit the label to say "The Joint,"  and if we ever do business in the future, you can simply reuse that same address and send it to me.  This helps you organize all of your different receiving transactions by using a different address for each person/company that you receive coins from.

Oh! haha, I see, it's the opposite of what I thought it was... I assumed it was someone giving me money... haha! So signing it would do what exactly? Provide whoever I give that address to some information that I specify? Like my house address?

Don't worry yet about "signing" addresses.  That has to do with something a bit more complicated.  Read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=70911.0 to learn a bit more about the signing feature.

Click on your 'receive coins' tab, click on the Bitcoin address listed there, hit "copy to clipboard" at the bottom, and then paste it in a post in this thread.  I will send you .01 BTC.  After you've received your .01 BTC, double-click on the label column next to the address and edit it to say "The Joint."   Then you can use that address with me in the future.

If you perform a business transaction on these forums (for example, let's say you want to sell something for Bitcoins), someone might say to you, "Give me your BTC address."  Then, if you want to receive coins from that person, you would click "new address" and label it accordingly.  Then, you would have a whole new address listed in your 'receive coins' tab, and you would then copy/paste this new address to the buyer so they could send you the coins.  This just helps to keep your transactions separate and organized as opposed to using just one address for every single person that wants to send coins to you.
jakkal2012 (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 09:48:59 PM

Haha, it's ok.

Try this.  Copy/paste that address here, and I'll send you .01 BTC so you can see how it works.  Then edit the label to say "The Joint,"  and if we ever do business in the future, you can simply reuse that same address and send it to me.  This helps you organize all of your different receiving transactions by using a different address for each person/company that you receive coins from.

Don't worry yet about "signing" addresses.  That has to do with something a bit more complicated.  Read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=70911.0 to learn a bit more about the signing feature.

Click on your 'receive coins' tab, click on the Bitcoin address listed there, hit "copy to clipboard" at the bottom, and then paste it in a post in this thread.  I will send you .01 BTC.  After you've received your .01 BTC, double-click on the label column next to the address and edit it to say "The Joint."   Then you can use that address with me in the future.

If you perform a business transaction on these forums (for example, let's say you want to sell something for Bitcoins), someone might say to you, "Give me your BTC address."  Then, if you want to receive coins from that person, you would click "new address" and label it accordingly.  Then, you would have a whole new address listed in your 'receive coins' tab, and you would then copy/paste this new address to the buyer so they could send you the coins.  This just helps to keep your transactions separate and organized as opposed to using just one address for every single person that wants to send coins to you.

Ah, I see! This makes a whole lot of sense!

My address is: 1BPkGr6XzYLGCyFdRSTiektnnZHD99oywY

Also, if I want to pay someone in Bitcoins, and provide my home address to them, how would I go about doing this? I need their address right?
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 09:56:27 PM

Haha, it's ok.

Don't worry yet about "signing" addresses.  That has to do with something a bit more complicated.  Read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=70911.0 to learn a bit more about the signing feature.

Also, if I want to pay someone in Bitcoins, and provide my home address to them, how would I go about doing this? I need their address right?

.01 BTC has just been sent to you Cheesy

I'm not sure what you mean about a "home address."

When you want to send coins to someone, you would do as I just did with you.  I asked you to copy/paste your BTC address, and you did.  Now, I took that address you gave me, copied/pasted it, then clicked on the "send coins" tab in my bitcoin client.  When you hit "send coins,"  it will say "pay to:"  followed by a blank field.  I copied/pasted the address you gave me in that blank field.

Next, it will say "label:" followed by a blank field.  In that blank field, I put "jakkal2012" so I know that the address belongs to you.  If I ever want to send coins to you again in the future, I can click on my "address book" and just look for your name!

Next, it will say "Amount:"  followed by a blank field.  In that blank field, I put ".01"  and then I clicked "Send" in the bottom right hand corner.

Now, my wallet is encrypted with a password/passphrase, and I highly suggest you do the same.  After I clicked "Send,"  the client prompted me to enter my password/passphrase.  This ensures that if your wallet is stolen somehow that a stranger cannot send coins from your wallet.  If your wallet is not encrypted, then the coins will be sent as soon as you click "Send."
jakkal2012 (OP)

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 10:01:58 PM

Haha, it's ok.

Don't worry yet about "signing" addresses.  That has to do with something a bit more complicated.  Read https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=70911.0 to learn a bit more about the signing feature.

.01 BTC has just been sent to you Cheesy

I'm not sure what you mean about a "home address."

When you want to send coins to someone, you would do as I just did with you.  I asked you to copy/paste your BTC address, and you did.  Now, I took that address you gave me, copied/pasted it, then clicked on the "send coins" tab in my bitcoin client.  When you hit "send coins,"  it will say "pay to:"  followed by a blank field.  I copied/pasted the address you gave me in that blank field.

Next, it will say "label:" followed by a blank field.  In that blank field, I put "jakkal2012" so I know that the address belongs to you.  If I ever want to send coins to you again in the future, I can click on my "address book" and just look for your name!

Next, it will say "Amount:"  followed by a blank field.  In that blank field, I put ".01"  and then I clicked "Send" in the bottom right hand corner.

Now, my wallet is encrypted with a password/passphrase, and I highly suggest you do the same.  After I clicked "Send,"  the client prompted me to enter my password/passphrase.  This ensures that if your wallet is stolen somehow that a stranger cannot send coins from your wallet.  If your wallet is not encrypted, then the coins will be sent as soon as you click "Send."

Ah, I get it completely now! Sorry, I thought somehow specific details were included in the transaction, but I was wrong, that's dealt with elsewhere Smiley Thank-you so much for an easy to understand and clear mini-tutorial! And thanks for the Bitcoin Wink
the joint
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 10:02:03 PM

the joint
Legendary

View Profile
July 02, 2012, 10:02:41 PM

Cheesy  no problem!  I posted a picture of what I did to give you a visual.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: