Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:02:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DGM VS PPS  (Read 15431 times)
GernMiester (OP)

Activity: 285
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 01:12:13 AM

Has anyone been running with DGM payout for several months at least? Does it ever really balance out?
I have tried DGM and it seems to pay out significantly less than PPS.
One long round (6+hrs) looks like it will months before it can be made up. Forget about 10+ hr rounds..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 10:24:41 AM

Has anyone been running with DGM payout for several months at least? Does it ever really balance out?
One long round (6+hrs) looks like it will months before it can be made up. Forget about 10+ hr rounds..

It's supposed to balance out in the long run, as DGM will have good streaks and bad streaks. 

But when I look at the luck chart, I'm glad I'm on PPS atm.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
roomservice

Activity: 199
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2012, 01:47:57 PM

Convince yourself here: https://www.ozcoin.net/content/share-payout-comparison-bitcoin

"Tonight's the night. And it's going to happen again, and again. It has to happen. Nice night."
n4l3hp

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 04, 2012, 02:56:11 PM

If you have trouble deciding which one to choose, just divide your hash rate. For a single rig, just create 2 workers (one as DGM and one as PPS) and use cgminer's load balancing feature. The problem is if you use other pools as backup, that backup will also get used at the same time. Better to use this if you have more than one rig.

You can also try using 2 instances of cgminer using -d option. Example, rig have 2 cards installed. Create 2 shortcuts to cgminer. One will have -d 0 and the other one will have -d 1. For 4 cards, one will have -d 0 -d 1 and the other one will have -d 2 -d 3. I haven't tried this method with the newer versions of cgminer though so I don't know if it still work.

What I do now is my FPGAs are using DGM and my GPUs are using PPS.
GernMiester (OP)

Activity: 285

View Profile
July 05, 2012, 09:27:41 PM

THANKS roomservice! That is perfect it.
n4l3hp your method requires the patience I lack but it is a pretty interesting idea.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:07:04 PM

What is difference in DGM vs standard deepbit proportional?

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:24:28 PM

DGM makes you more money, because proportional is subject to hopping and a 3% fee.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:32:55 PM

DGM makes you more money, because proportional is subject to hopping and a 3% fee.

How is pool hopping utlized? How is that helpful

and which pools have DGM

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 03:02:10 PM

and which pools have DGM
follow the link in the other thread from organofconti re hopping

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=41.0
all the pools list their payout type in the topic

perhaps slow down on asking the same questions across several threads Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 11:27:21 AM

and which pools have DGM
follow the link in the other thread from organofconti re hopping

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=41.0
all the pools list their payout type in the topic

perhaps slow down on asking the same questions across several threads Smiley

Darn you caught me!

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 10:37:42 PM

Okay but have to wait longer for rewards as they confirm.

anybody have the quick calculation of mhash vs difficulty to get the amount of BTC one should be getting per day?

racerguy

Activity: 270

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 01:13:27 AM

http://allchains.info/calc.html
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 01:39:15 AM

Assuming everything is working properly, the pool is working as intended, and the pool doesn't get a never ending bad luck streak, in the long run DGM will do better. 

PPS will give you a steady payout, however, and is not subject to variance.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 02:16:48 AM

sweet

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 02:55:17 AM

Assuming everything is working properly, the pool is working as intended, and the pool doesn't get a never ending bad luck streak, in the long run DGM will do better.  

M

If you're assuming no fees, then PPS and DGM (and PPLNS when correctly implemented) all have the same expected value per share. So in the long run, they will pay out the same. To compare long term payout, just subtract any fees. The difference is in expected variance. PPS pools have no variance - you get the same amount per share. DGM and PPLNS have variance that can be tuned using their parameters. I seem to remember that Ozcoin's parameters are tuned to minimise variance for miners, making it a good pool to mine at if you want to reduce variance.

Keep in mind that pools need fees or donations in order to keep running - they do you the service of pooling your shares with others to reduce the variance you'd get from solo mining. PPS payouts require more of a fee since they reduce your variance to zero and take that risk on themselves.

Any proportional payout system - pure proportional, or exponential proportional like Slush's pool and BTCMine - have expected share values that range from above 1.0 to below 1.0, so if you mine when expected share values are higher and cease mining when they are lower you earn more than expected. This is called pool hopping, and the extra coins the pool hopper earns comes from the pockets of full time miners. It is also why you shouldn't mine at proportional pools - unless you know how much pool hoppers take from the pool and don't mind losing a few percent.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 10:32:48 AM

M

If you're assuming no fees, then PPS and DGM (and PPLNS when correctly implemented) all have the same expected value per share. So in the long run, they will pay out the same. To compare long term payout, just subtract any fees. The difference is in expected variance. PPS pools have no variance - you get the same amount per share. DGM and PPLNS have variance that can be tuned using their parameters. I seem to remember that Ozcoin's parameters are tuned to minimise variance for miners, making it a good pool to mine at if you want to reduce variance.

Keep in mind that pools need fees or donations in order to keep running - they do you the service of pooling your shares with others to reduce the variance you'd get from solo mining. PPS payouts require more of a fee since they reduce your variance to zero and take that risk on themselves.

Any proportional payout system - pure proportional, or exponential proportional like Slush's pool and BTCMine - have expected share values that range from above 1.0 to below 1.0, so if you mine when expected share values are higher and cease mining when they are lower you earn more than expected. This is called pool hopping, and the extra coins the pool hopper earns comes from the pockets of full time miners. It is also why you shouldn't mine at proportional pools - unless you know how much pool hoppers take from the pool and don't mind losing a few percent.

Yes, I was implying PPS = fees for the pool, which is why DGM will come out ahead in the long run.

Long live p2pool!

M

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 11:07:02 AM

Yes, I was implying PPS = fees for the pool, which is why DGM will come out ahead in the long run.

Long live p2pool!

M

p2Pool is PPLNS, not DGM.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
mdude77
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 10:48:32 PM

Long live p2pool!

M

p2Pool is PPLNS, not DGM.

I know that too. Smiley I wasn't implying such.. just that it's one pool that doesn't charge fees and you still end up ahead.

M

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: