Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:37:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mysterious topic #3  (Read 753 times)
tonygal (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:00:30 PM

Hi all,
I wanted to ask if anybody knows anything about the following, mysterious topic #3:

Is this the first bitcointalk.org topic?
What happened with topic 1,2,3 and 4?

1, 2, and 4 exist in the staff forum. 3 was permanently deleted at some point (it must have contained Satoshi's real name and address).

The forum was started on 11-18-2009 (registration date of admin), topic #2 was started on that same day,
topic #4 on 11-20, so mysterious topic #3 must fall in this 2-day period. Also, I believe that the first two
non-admin accounts (besides test accounts) were Satoshi and Sirius, both registered on 11-20 (3rd user only
signed up 14 days later).
Obviously, I have no clue when #3 was deleted, but if it contained Satoshi's data, reason is to believe soon after its creation. So
probably the only person besides Satoshi who actually saw #3 was Sirius. I also believe that Sirius must have seen it,
as they both founded the forum, and probably they even shared the admin-acc during the critical 2-day period.

I could now ask Sirius for details, but I don't think he would comment (for obvious&understandable reasons).
So, to end this topic with a question: Theymos, if you have fun in answering that, would you mind telling why
you came up with what you said? Is it pure speculation that #3 contained Satoshi's data or are there any
leads besides the fact that it was deleted?

PS: Ya I know, Satoshi should remain anonymous, we should leave him alone bla.. I agree but I'm just
curious about the history of this forum, let's put it that way..
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 02:46:16 PM

I don't think the forum started to archive deleted posts until after a topic that old would likely have been deleted. It is possible that the topic was moved to the trashcan (which is a section the staff can see) however I imagine this was only implemented only after the forum reached a certain size.

I am not sure when theymos started managing the site however it could have been after he made that post.

If you look at topics 1, 2 and 4 you will see that topics 1 and 2 were satoshi testing various features of SMF and topic 4 was regarding various housekeeping issues. I would personally speculate that satoshi was testing a feature to delete topics/posts in this thread.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:12:46 PM

I don't think the forum started to archive deleted posts until after a topic that old would likely have been deleted. It is possible that the topic was moved to the trashcan (which is a section the staff can see) however I imagine this was only implemented only after the forum reached a certain size.

I am not sure when theymos started managing the site however it could have been after he made that post.

If you look at topics 1, 2 and 4 you will see that topics 1 and 2 were satoshi testing various features of SMF and topic 4 was regarding various housekeeping issues. I would personally speculate that satoshi was testing a feature to delete topics/posts in this thread.

Thanks for the link , now I found the story of the email activation :

Is there any reason to have e-mail confirmation?
If you're doing that out of spam concerns, I've already got that covered. I made
some customizations to the registration HTML so any spambots designed for SMF
won't be able to figure it out. The CAPTCHA image URL requires an extra parameter,
and there are 3 different CAPTCHA images, but only one shows because the others
have stuff like width=0 height=0.

* https://bitcointalk.org/first_topics/4.pdf
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2015, 03:20:12 PM

It's probably something much more innocuous, like a thread for testing thread deletion and logging of those options. Truth is often the boring explanation.

Deleted posts weren't archived til later, no backups from that point exist that I know of, and theymos wasn't an admin at the time.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
mitzie
Legendary

Activity: 975
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:21:03 PM

I don't think the forum started to archive deleted posts until after a topic that old would likely have been deleted. It is possible that the topic was moved to the trashcan (which is a section the staff can see)

No, the #3 topic seems to be permanently deleted, as theymos mentioned.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=3.0
tonygal (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:29:31 PM

Theymos  somehow implied that #3 was deleted in a more thorough way than a normal deletion. To me it's still
mysterious.

BTW: I'm wondering, is sirius' RL identity basically known or is it as clandestine as satoshi's? (I don't want to know his identity,
I'm just curious about his role in the creation myth..)
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:30:29 PM

Theymos  somehow implied that #3 was deleted in a more thorough way than a normal deletion. To me it's still
mysterious.

BTW: I'm wondering, is sirius' RL identity basically known or is it as clandestine as satoshi's? (I don't want to know his identity,

This is sirius :  https://twitter.com/marttimalmi   , his identity is known.
mitzie
Legendary

Activity: 975
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 03:31:53 PM

His name also appears in the donate page of the forum: https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12900

View Profile
January 03, 2015, 04:33:20 PM

would you mind telling why you came up with what you said?

It's called a joke.  Roll Eyes

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: