Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 06:14:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's the true enemy of internet freedom - China, Russia, or the US?  (Read 1093 times)
TheIrishman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 05:46:00 AM

Who's the true enemy of internet freedom - China, Russia, or the US?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/04/internet-freedom-china-russia-us-google-microsoft-digital-sovereignty

<< Beijing and Moscow are rightly chastised for restricting their citizens’ online access – but it's the US that is now even more aggressive in asserting its digital sovereignty. >>
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 06:53:49 AM

I have to say that China and Russia is the worst. not only they restrict access from the outside, but inside as well.

we all know about US "digital sovereignty", I don't think it matters really. we're lucky that US gives so much freedom compared to other countries
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 07:23:41 AM

I have to say that China and Russia is the worst. not only they restrict access from the outside, but inside as well.

we all know about US "digital sovereignty", I don't think it matters really. we're lucky that US gives so much freedom compared to other countries

the state of the US is pretty sad nowadays  Cry

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 10:03:53 AM

No, China is the worst, no country can compare it.
Chinese people can't use facebook, twitter, google, gmail, youtube, etc.
Any website which can talk free was blocked by the government.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2015, 10:19:13 AM

All three imperialist empire builders are a threat to our freedom, don't make the mistake of fooling yourself into thinking there is a lesser of two evils here, you can't compromise on freedom of speech and expression, which is why I don't allow myself to be taken in by a two party Democracy.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 11:22:22 AM

All of the above, seems like any large organized government is the enemy of the internet. 
umairsaleem

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 11:59:48 AM

I would say China , they ban whatever they want ,keep their people away from these information.
fsb4000
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 01:17:26 PM

Who's the true enemy of internet freedom?
right answer: Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook... Your opinion is manipulated. People have forgotten how to think independently.
--Encrypted--
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1007

hee-ho.

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 01:30:40 PM

right answer: Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook... Your opinion is manipulated. People have forgotten how to think independently.

what? those companies (except maybe Apple) have search engines that allows us to get all kind of information from the internet.

face it, without google, bing, or facebook, most people will find it hard to find anything on the net
fsb4000
Legendary

Activity: 1400

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 03:13:55 PM

what? those companies (except maybe Apple) have search engines that allows us to get all kind of information from the internet.

face it, without google, bing, or facebook, most people will find it hard to find anything on the net
And I said, people are degraded. google, bing, or facebook etc manipulate information for brainwashing
sase007

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 04, 2015, 03:15:32 PM

Russia, Iraq, North Korea, Hungary and China clearly (and more ofc.)
Shattered

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:21:13 AM

Speaking of google, I saw a documentary about them illegally scanning thousands of paperback books from all over the world in an effort to provide a virtual electronic HUB of information.
It was very eye opening, check it out if your into stuff like that...

As far as China's anti freedom stance regarding the internet, it makes sense considering how society functions in that country.
Free thinking isnt encouraged, rather group think is the norm.

Everything is structured around group think over there, where as in the US we have a me-me-me mentality.
After all, whats the point of facebook? To show everyone what YOU are doing? To brag?
Why would anyone in their right mind want to post private info about every detail of their life online?

I think that if China opened access to facebook tomorrow, way less people would sign up and start over exposing themselves than you may think...

Leeroy Jenkins

Activity: 420

Mmmh mhmhh mmmm.

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:40:40 AM
Last edit: January 06, 2015, 02:38:39 AM by leeroyjenkins

Why does this question seem like any of the three options are mutually exclusive? And I don't think the individual citizens themselves of the various countries in question necessarily like the actions undertaken by their respective governments which are often influenced by other economic, political, ideological factors.

Not sure why the United Kingdom wasn't included in the question (think of GHCQ), anyway.

Federal Trade Commission vs Butterfly Labs

Made ya look. ; )

brush242 ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=199652 ) aka TheBitcoinimist aka Rush Reid aka Ken Hunlenton aka Steve Reid aka perfectlycromulentword aka Stephen Mark Reid says: "BFL is fucked" READ THE EARTH-SHATTERING COMMENTARY AT >>>> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=150803.msg9614841#msg9614841 <<<<
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 01:48:53 AM

As long as these govts have state-sponsored media or that which is owned by and large by a govt-media-banker-military industrial complex outfit, the super-majority of the citizens will get their "news" by these outlets and will have a skewed view of reality or directed in different directions at the time when the real problems are unfolding.
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 03:29:16 AM

I say China. They recently banned Gmail and they basically restrict all their media to display only the stuff they allow. But then again they're not a Democratic country and can do whatever they want.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Inotanewbie

Activity: 252

www.CloudThink.IO

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2015, 03:48:57 AM

As long as these govts have state-sponsored media or that which is owned by and large by a govt-media-banker-military industrial complex outfit, the super-majority of the citizens will get their "news" by these outlets and will have a skewed view of reality or directed in different directions at the time when the real problems are unfolding.
There are still other, less reputable news organizations in both China and Russia (the US has them too but the MSM in the US is more willing to report what is actually going on in the country and the world). Although they do have trouble getting their word out and there are a lot of them so most people of those countries do not know which of them they should believe

cloudthink.io   

Truly Profitable Investment Packages
Custom-Built ASIC Miners ● #1 Self-Sustainable Bitcoin Mining Service in the World ●
Enzyme

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 03:53:59 AM

And I said, people are degraded. google, bing, or facebook etc manipulate information for brainwashing
I don't think you understand that Google/Bing is a search engine. I'm not sure about Bing, but Google can't change any of the information displayed.
Google are all about 'freedom'. The only time they will remove something from search results is if it's life threatening.
Enzyme

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 03:54:59 AM

And you guys think China is bad? Go to North Korea.
Agestorzrxx

Activity: 462

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 04:26:02 AM

And you guys think China is bad? Go to North Korea.
North Korea is bad, it doesn't mean China is good. right?
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
January 05, 2015, 03:00:47 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2015, 04:19:08 PM by Snail2

Don't be naive. Every state is enemy of free speech and freedom of Internet. The more money, power and tools they have makes them the more dangerous enemies of privacy and freedom.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: